• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I just got a Thunder K7 for free...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Interesting project you have going. Should be easily fast enough to make a decent small server. Good luck with it

Just 1 SCSI drive? 1 SCSI isn't gonna give you much bang for the buck, you'd be better off picking up and older 64 bit RAID controller like LSI's MegaRAID SATA-4/6 and dropping a couple SATA I drives in RAID 0 or 1 or heck, go all out and RAID 5 3 or more of them.

BTW, I have that LSI controller (6 port) in my NAS running 3 Barracuda 320's in RAID 5, only it's running on the 32 bit bus - no nice friends giving me a Tyan server board....:(

Heh, just got another Seagate of the exact same model number so now I have 2x 147GB U320 SCSI drives. Everything is installed but an OS. I have pics and just need to find the time to finish this project up.

Its much better than my web server.

Windows 2000 Professional (BIG APACHE)
Pentium II 400MHz (4x 100Mhz)
PC Chips M741LMRT Mainboard
576MB 100MHz Memory (2 * 256) + 64
WD 6.4GB EIDE HDD

Im looking to get a PIII for it. Its a dual socket slot1 and socket 370 so I can use either chip. I also want to replace the 64mb ram with 256 PC133 to max the board at 768MB.

I was at my local computer graveyard (used computer place) and I saw a couple dual slot1 boards. I might get one for my server eventualy.

can you run slot1 thundrbirds as dual CPU? I can get a couple of 800 MHz chips for $10.

AMD Athlons come an Slot A and Socket A varieties. There are no Slot A dual CPU boards. The Tyan Thunder K7 was the first AMD dual board, which is the one I have.

Slot A Athlons will not work in a Slot 1 Intel board. Maybe you typoed that? :beer:

Pic!

Ok, I finally got everything up and running. Right now it is running WinXP Pro on a 20GB partition. I have 2x 147GB U160 SCSI HD's and of course the nice Athlon XP 2600 Barton's (512k cache).

Here are the pics:

Motherboard with 2GB RAM, 2x 2600MP's, and CPU FANs installed.

CPU_FANS1.JPG

CPU_FANS2.JPG

CPU_FANS3.JPG

500w Powersupply.

PowerSupply.JPG

First boot!

FirstBoot.JPG

P1010075.JPG

P1010077.JPG

2x 147GB Seagate U320 SCSI Drives. They run at U160 because that is what is on the mother board. This is fine because I can't saturate the SCSI bus with these drives. =)

SCSI_Drives.JPG

This case is really big. I needed it to accomidate the Extended ATX motherboard that is the Tyan k7 Thunder. Each bay opening cover is a filter.

CoolerMaster01.JPG

The back of the case has plates that can be removed for dual power supplies. Aternately, you can pop out the circlular areas in the plates and mount 80mm fans.

CoolerMaster02.JPG

Last edited:
The inside of this case is really roomy. I like it from that stand point.

CoolerMaster03.JPG

It took me a while to figure out that these side clamps are to release the mounting brackets. This case is tooless for the most part. You still have to screw down the motherboard and the hard drives, which is fine by me.

CoolerMaster04.JPG

Here are a couple of pictures of the back plate that you remove to slide in the power supply. Power supplies cannot be installed from inside the case. I went with one 500w power supply in the top position and no extra cooling.

CoolerMaster06.JPG

CoolerMaster07.JPG

This is the power supply retainer bracket.

CoolerMaster08.JPG

Here is a shot of the CPU fan controllers. Note the ugly power adapter. It works.

CoolerMaster09.JPG

Yeah I need to work on my cable managment.

CoolerMaster11.JPG

Power supply adaptor

So what kind of Power supply did you use with the ATX-GES power adaptor? Just a standard 20-pin ATX or did you have to use a 24-pin ATX (EPS12V)? I am planning on building a K7 system as well after picking one up for $50 on Ebay.

You can use either. I actually ended up with both types of adapters and my PSU is a 24 pin that can be used as a 20 pin. I opted for the 24 pin adapter.

Back