• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i need some XP networking help.....again

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

john240sx

when i try to access one of my computers (my celeron box) i get asked for a password, the problem is i never set passwords. it's really starting to drive me nuts.

if i try to access my XP1600 box from my cele box i can access it and transfer files but the cele box wants a password if another computer tries to connect to it.

please help me before i kill this stupid thing. :(

I'm not a pro in XP, but I know if that happens in win2k all you need to do is to add the group "everyone" to the folder's or computer's permisions.

But its probably different in XP.

i did that, it still asks for a password when i try to access it.

EDIT:hehe, i figured out i can just upload the files from the cele box to my other computer. it's not the right way to do it but it works and i don't have that many cigarettes left so it's going to stay like this for now.
i can't wait to take that networking class, then this should be a little easier.

Last edited:
check the box you are currently on...are both running XP...if so one may have XP's firewall running on by default....Some may tell you to create the same user accounts on both machines..I didn't have to do that...I had a Win98, Win2K, and XP pro machine networked together...I just ran the network wizard on the XP pro machine and made the disk to run on the 98 machine and everything worked...also check your properties to make sure you have everything installed...all your protocols

Back