• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I own a Dell 2005FPW 20 inch Widescreen LCD - Quick REVIEW :D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DohDoh

I was in a situation not to long ago. My Sony CRT Monitor was dying for weeks and it finally passed away last week.

Now what to do? My warranty for this CRT monitor was long gone and this computer needs a monitor to function properly. Monitors are the eyes of the computer, similar like the human body. Although the computer can work without it, it's pretty difficult to operate without one don't you people agree?

The obvious answer was to purchase a new monitor. What brand? What technology? Well I always said if I were going to purchase another monitor it would be a flat panel. Should I though? I know Flat Panel LCD is known for their lack of flexibility for video games due to the phenomenon of "ghosting".

I wanted to take the plunge regardless; I want a DVI, a bigger screen, the whole works! So I went LCD hunting beginning on this forum and other various websites that compare monitors. It all came down to a Samsung and a Dell. It took hours, but made a final decision to go with the Dell 2005fpw. Why? 20.1 inch Widescreen Display, Digital Video Interface, low MS (for video games) and quality of brand.

When the package arrived, it was fairly light (15lbs) for a LCD monitor. Keep in mind it's not light like other monitors due to its 16x9 screen and above average LCD display size (20.1inches). The setup was less than 5 minutes as you probably know the connections are fairly obvious. Once connected I fired up the computer and watched the monitor light up in front of me.

WOW! Never have I experience web surfing and multimedia like this! The DVI connection is amazing! For those who say there isn't a difference between the DVI and VGA must get their eyes checked. The difference is night and day! So vibrant, so colorful it pops outs.
The widescreen display is awesome, so much was missing before. Ghosting? Non-existant. The ergonomics on this unit is right on the money as well as the base. It sits perfectly with great adjusting capabilities that will please anyone with high or low desks.

PIXELS:

I did however find 1 dead pixel after doing pixel tests, however EXTREMELY hard to find and not noticeable at all. Definitely not worth the trouble taking it back. You are probably asking "What you are not going to take back a $500+ monitor to get a perfect one?” NO and here is why. It's not noticeable only on extremely white backgrounds and even then it's hard to see. I don't want the next one to have even more dead pixels. It's not laziness, the time and trouble isn't worth it to me because the problem is not Earth shattering.
Obviously to some people a dead pixel could be dead center on the screen and become bothersome and that I could understand. In my situation, nobody noticed the dead pixel when I had people looking for it and instead I had to point it out to them and still couldn't see it.
My point is 1 dead pixel isn't the end like I thought it would be.

When is it worth exchanging and/or returning the LCD monitor?
Just run your tests and see if there are any that are dead.
If so, how many? Where is it located? Dead pixel(s) obvious on bright, dark or on both backgrounds? This will determine your decision to go for a refund or exchange.

Conclusion:
Money well spent! Video games are excellent, DVD is superb, screen size is awesome and the color and quality simply unmatched!

If you are looking for a quality LCD monitor and your price range is $300-$400+, make the plunge for this monitor it's well worth it! "I only have $300 or less to spend" you say? Easy, SAVE UP! When you purchase and use this monitor you will thank ME!

4.8 out of 5.0 STARS. :thup:

I'm really glad to see people are accepting the new widescreen monitors. It seemed like no one listen to mine or anyone elses widescreen advice until the past 2 months...but none the less people are getting them and enjoying them (as they should!).

Oh, and you got pics of your setup now?

ajrettke said:
I'm really glad to see people are accepting the new widescreen monitors. It seemed like no one listen to mine or anyone elses widescreen advice until the past 2 months...but none the less people are getting them and enjoying them (as they should!).

I think that is because they were so expensive till just recenetly. I mean who could turn down a a 2005FPW for 380.00 shipped? :p

I am buying a few when Dell has their next sale!!!

I have one on the way but sadly it's been backordered. Placed my order on the 9th and it wont ship till the 25th.. :( Oh well, I suppose I can wait..

Had mine for about 3 months now, can't imagine not having it. Plus it's awesome when people passing by stop in your dorm room and are like "Wow! That's your monitor"

Nice
this may be my next upgrade.
I have a NEC CRT and its sweet for gaming am I gonna lose any of that ability with the LCD in question?

ajrettke said:

This is not true, it's simply because of two reasons (plus sub reasons) for me:

1) Emergency, my CRT monitor went belly up and needed a monitor fast! I didn't want to waste my money on a crappy one so I did my research.

2) Money. I would have loved to have LCD back in the day, but another two reasons stopped me of doing so; price and gaming flexibility due to monitor response times.

Now that flat panel LCD monitors has come a long way, I felt comfortable knowing that my money going into my new LCD monitor was going to be well spent.

Dell2005fpw-2.jpg

so do these perform at the same level as my NEC CRT would as far as responce times or refresh rates or whatever its called now ?

Rattle said:
Nice
this may be my next upgrade.
I have a NEC CRT and its sweet for gaming am I gonna lose any of that ability with the LCD in question?

This monitor is excellent for gaming! I have seen other LCD monitors with gaming and it's horrible with the ghosting effects.

However, the Dell2005fpw basically obliterates all those gamer worriers. :santa:

You can't beat the value of this product. DVI is gorgeous, USB/S-Video/Composite Video connections, 20.1 inches and widescreen with the move ability of the flat panel that we all know and love. :cool:

How could you possible ask for anything else in a monitor?

DohDoh said:
This monitor is excellent for gaming! I have seen other LCD monitors with gaming and it's horrible with the ghosting effects.

However, the Dell2005fpw basically obliterates all those gamer worriers. :santa:

You can't beat the value of this product. DVI is gorgeous, USB/S-Video/Composite Video connections, 20.1 inches and widescreen with the move ability of the flat panel that we all know and love. :cool:

How could you possible ask for anything else in a monitor?

nothing as long as it games like me NEC lol

Rattle said:
so do these perform at the same level as my NEC CRT would as far as responce times or refresh rates or whatever its called now ?

Don't go just be specifications on the label, it depends on the brand and their level of manufacturing quality.

The Dell2005fpw has a 12 ms response time. If another brand has 12ms response time, it doesn't mean it will perform the same because it has this spec. What brand will be able to consistantly keep the response time closest to 12ms while keep the quality of image intact?

:cool:

Not only that...but 5:4 resolutions put you at a disadvantage in most modern FPS....I've made a few posts stating this and one with screenshots of CS:S...AFIAK all newer games support the widescreen 16:10 res as well and you'll likely see the same advantages.

lordkosc said:
I think that is because they were so expensive till just recenetly. I mean who could turn down a a 2005FPW for 380.00 shipped? :p

I am buying a few when Dell has their next sale!!!

Okay I thought I had lost my mind. I looked on the webpage today and it was like $600 and I knew I had seen it for $398. I'll be buying one when they go on sale again as well :)

Alchemy1 said:
Okay I thought I had lost my mind. I looked on the webpage today and it was like $600 and I knew I had seen it for $398. I'll be buying one when they go on sale again as well :)

They are actually a little under $500 now (including shipping). So although it's not the best pricing in its history, it's definitely not $700 like it advertises on the Dell website.

Bought on msyelf from Dell - got it all the way to Costa Rica for $480 - you can buy it here for $900...lol

love it, no dead pixels - i think it has some blacklight bleeding, but nothing i notice enough.

Cost :) by far

Apple 30's and Dell's 30'? were compared and they use the same Panel supposedly (LG panel) - so why does apple charge $2000 when dell can charge $1000 :)

WHen comparing LCD's you need to look beyond the brand name stuck on it cause they dont make it - they buy the Panels usually from LP / Philips / Samsung etc.

i was more curious about the smaller display... but i see your point. 30 inches would almost be too big.. i mean, parts of the screen are going to be noticeably further from you than other parts if it's setup in a standard desk config... still droole-worthy though.

Mr guv you mean the 24" correct? AFAIK dell hasn't released a 30" (though I believe they do plan on it)

Back