• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i2600 k Noctua NH-D14 with Akasa Apache fans overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

meteoman

I am new to the forum and need some expert advice. This is my first overclock but I am worried about temperatures (too high?).
I tweaked a little bit the rig.
This is the system:

i7 2600K,
P8P67 Pro B3 Rev 3.1
8Gb GSkill RAM DDR3 1600 Mhz CL7
CM 690II Advanced
Noctua NH D14 but removed stock fans (NF P12 and P14) and added instead two Akasa Apache 120mm PWM (reason: want a quiet PC when not loading it).
Win 7 64

Test result (Intel Burn Test v2.5 10 runs standard - Linpack output):

Ambient: 22 C

Stock frequency, idle:
Core temps:
27C-35C

4.5 Ghz 100% full load
VID 1.36-1.38 v

Max
65 C
75 C
76 C
72 C

I have seen similar temperature around but am not still not completely sure and convinced.
Maybe the 140mm middle fan is required instead of the 120mm which I used (replacing the stock NF P14) for the Noctua? Maybe need reapply thermal paste? Or are these temps just fine?

Thanks
M.

I would call those temps fine, maybe a little high if they're 24/7, but if that's in the burn test then you'll probably never go that high using a PC for regular applications.

What I don't understand is the fan swap- were the Noctua fans not quiet enough? I thought they can go very low rpm.

mikeyw,
thanks

The Noctua fans are very quiet with ULNA (guess around 7-800 rpm) however on the p8p67 pro, they cannot be controlled as they are not PWM. I wanted to have PWM control of the fans so they would slow down when idle (I like a quiet PC) and boost up when needed. I replaced the mid 140mm Noctua and the "edge" 120mm with two Akasa Apache which have almost similar air flow and probably better static pressure. I may decide to swap one of the 120mm with a 140mm Akasa in the end. Still wondering if thermal paste could have been applied better.

You will not be happy with the Akasa Apache in the center. I fell for the same fan. It's OK, not great.

For your center fan get a Thermalright TY-140. It is also a PWM fan. Then you'll be alright with your Apache as a push fan.

Still wondering if thermal paste could have been applied better.
Those temps are right about what would be expected with that cooler.

I have an HR-02 (similar performance cooler) on my 2600K at nearly the same voltage/ambient temps/slightly higher CPU clock, and I see similar temperatures in IBT. So nothing to worry about with the TIM application.

I doubt 1.38 is needed for 4.5Ghz unless you got a very unhappy CPU. That sounds unusually high. The stock fans that came with that cooler are higher quality than anything you could replace them with and vibration free. Any replacements have only proven to be perhaps 3 degrees superior and not quieter.

I can't believe you find those Noctua fans loud. I must be deaf I can put one to my ear and not hear it at 100% just the air movement.. I hear no motor noise.

Thanks Theocnoob, thanks all.
I left Cpu voltage to auto in the bios. Should have I set it manually? I know I should target a lower value, but did not understand what is the process to do this. For the Akasa, I chose based on the specs but then there should be something critical I havent considered beyond cfm and static pressure then.

I doubt 1.38 is needed for 4.5Ghz unless you got a very unhappy CPU. That sounds unusually high. The stock fans that came with that cooler are higher quality than anything you could replace them with and vibration free. Any replacements have only proven to be perhaps 3 degrees superior and not quieter.

I can't believe you find those Noctua fans loud. I must be deaf I can put one to my ear and not hear it at 100% just the air movement.. I hear no motor noise.

I reapplied thermal paste and did put back the Noctua stock fans, yet no significant changes, when OC to 4.6 I get vid to 1.38/1.39 and temp surging to around 75, 76 on the warmest cores. And this with cpu volt set to auto. When I set it manually say at 1.35, it still has spikes to 1.38/1.39 when load is maximum under IBT. What's wrong here? Even setting manually will not lock the vid, am I missing something in the settings? This seems weird.
Thanks
m.

It has to do with LLC.
When LLC on auto and vCore on manual, LLC level is Ultra, which gives you a 0.03/0.04 overvolt when on load.
Try setting LLC to High (IIRC...) instead of Auto and you should have a zero vCore vDroop.

EDIT: maybe medium... Long time I killed my p8p67

Back