• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5-2500K OC Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foruman

Hello All!

I am fairly new to overclocking, and just have a few questions. First of all, I achieved a stable overclock of 4.5GHz using the settings listed below, but I was wondering if there's another way to set the voltages either using offset or manual mode. The reason is, I followed several guides to set these settings, and am not sure if they are the best for overclocking. Also, when the system idles, the frequency and voltage never decreases. I know that it's supposed to be 1.6GHz @ 1.0v when idling, but my computer is always 4.5GHz @ 1.336v. Another thing, when playing games and running other CPU-intensive software, the voltage decreases to 1.296v, and sometimes causes a BSOD. The only BSOD error code I get is 0x124, which means too little Vcore. Can someone help me out and let me know what settings I have that are incorrect/not optimized for the overclock I have applied? I have a good aftermarket air cooler, so the temps are 24C when idle and ~50C when under load.

Thanks all!

Hardware:
ASUS P8P67 PRO (Rev. 3.0)
Core i5-2500K
Corsair Vengeance RAM (16GB, 4x4, 9-9-9-24 2T)
GTX 580

UEFI BIOS Settings:
Ai Tweaker
Ai Overclock Tuner: Manual
BLCK/PCIE Frequency: 100.0
Turbo Ratio: By All Cores
By All Cores: 45
Internal PLL Voltage: Enabled
Memory Frequency: DDR3-1600MHz
DRAM Timing Control: use the rated timings
EPU Power Saving MODE: Disabled

Ai Tweaker\ CPU Power Management >
CPU Ratio: Auto
Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology: Enabled
Turbo Mode: Enabled
Long Duration Power Limit: Auto
Long Duration Maintained: Auto
Short Duration Power Limit: Auto
Additional Turbo Voltage: Auto
Primary Plane Current Limit: Auto

Ai Tweaker (in the DIGI+ VRM section)
Load-Line Calibration: Auto
VRM Frequency: Manual -> 350
VRM Spread Spectrum: N/A
Phase Control: Extreme
Duty Control: Extreme
CPU Current Capability: 110%
CPU Voltage: Offset
CPU Offset Sign: -
CPU Offset Voltage: 0.015
DRAM Voltage: 1.50
VCCIO Voltage: Auto
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.8
PCH Voltage: Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum: Auto

Advanced\ CPU Configuration >
CPU Ratio: 45
Intel Adaptive Thermal Monitor: Enabled
Active Processor Cores: All
Limit CPUID Maximum: Disabled
Execute Disable Bit: Enabled
Intel Virtualization Technology: Disabled
Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology: Enabled
Turbo Mode: Enabled
CPU C1E: Auto
CPU C3 Report: Auto
CPU C6 Report: Auto

Your vcore drop you have at load is caused by your LLC(Load-Line Calibration). Try manually setting it and explore.

Your vcore drop you have at load is caused by your LLC(Load-Line Calibration). Try manually setting it and explore.

If I change LLC, that will cause the overall Vcore as well when I have Vcore set to offset mode. For example, I tried setting it to Extreme, and Vcore rose to 1.4v at one time in the past. That's why I am hesitant to mess with LLC when using offset mode until I know what both of them do better. But, I recall turning Vcore to manual mode and setting LLC to whatever doesn't change the Vcore at any time when the computer is in use. Please let me know if I'm missing something here; I am still new to much of this.

Also, how is it that other people report being able to idle at 1.6 GHz @ 1.0v? Is it good to do this, besides saving power? If so, how do I enable it? My PC is always 4.5GHz @ 1.336v no matter what.

If I change LLC, that will cause the overall Vcore as well when I have Vcore set to offset mode. For example, I tried setting it to Extreme, and Vcore rose to 1.4v at one time in the past. That's why I am hesitant to mess with LLC when using offset mode until I know what both of them do better. But, I recall turning Vcore to manual mode and setting LLC to whatever doesn't change the Vcore at any time when the computer is in use. Please let me know if I'm missing something here; I am still new to much of this.

Also, how is it that other people report being able to idle at 1.6 GHz @ 1.0v? Is it good to do this, besides saving power? If so, how do I enable it? My PC is always 4.5GHz @ 1.336v no matter what.

Alright. My only main concerns with using C1E is that it will cause the CPU to change its frequency and voltage when idle or under load. Will this cause any instability in the system, or worse, shorten the lifespan of the CPU? I've read on some forums that keeping the frequency and voltage consistent is good for the CPU, whereas others say that Sandy Bridge is really good at saving energy by downclocking and downvolting when they are not needed, and won't hinder the CPU nor its OCing ability. I'm not sure which is true now...but based on what you said, it is safe to let it downclock and downvolt?

For example, if I open iTunes or another program that takes longer than normal to open, then I see that the voltage spikes from 1.0v to 1.3v for one sec, and the frequency goes from 1.6GHz to 4.5GHz in that moment as well. But this is only happening for one second or less, and I'm afraid that these little bursts of change will damage the CPU, since I am not really at one clock/voltage or another all the time. Now if only it clocks/volts up when I play my games, then I have no worries.

I tried turning on LLC to Ultra High (75%) with the same settings as in my first post, except now with C3 and C6 off and C1E on, and now my voltage is 1.371v when the frequency is 4.5GHz. Isn't this too much for that frequency? I was hesitant to check the voltage under load because it seems pretty high for 4.5GHz.

Back