• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 6600k 4.6 vs 4.7 and XMP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aquaman78

Hey guys! I haven't posted on here in a very long time but recently built a new system (basic specs in signature). I have had really good results with overclocking this 6600k and it will run stable at 4.7 however 4.6 is the only speed that will allow me to enable the XMP profile to achieve the full 3000mhz of my RAM. When I push the CPU to 4.7, it clocks the RAM at 2666mhz. Is there a work around to acheive both 4.7ghz and 3000mhz or is this something I am going to have to settle for? If the latter is the case, I'm assuming that 4.6 and 3000mhz would be more optimal than 4.7 and 2666mhz?

I reviewed that board... it worked fine with xmp profile to 4.8ghz...

Are you using xmp profile? If so, update the bios to the latest. If that doesnt work, try setting the speed manually as these guys said above.

For giggles, is that memory you have on their QVL? Whatever memory that is... :)

Memory should work fine at higher cpu clock as both are not connected in any way. However cache clock is affecting memory stability. Check if lower cache clock let you run memory higher. If yes then try higher cpu voltage as cpu+cache have the same voltage in skylake.

Thanks for the responses everyone. It has been a long long time since I've overclocked an Intel (last one was my i7 2600K) so it took me a bit to research and familiarize myself with the BIOS of my board. I have managed to get a stable 4.8ghz out of this 6600k. The lowest voltage I could get to keep it stable is 1.488 and so far the temps have not exceeded 66c with AIDA64. I have not and will not use P95 as it is nothing more than a power virus and does not realistically stress a CPU.

1.48V is too much for 24/7. You want to keep that under 1.42V.

You also never me tioned how you solved the problem...that would be helpful for those that run across this thread.

1.48V is too much for 24/7. You want to keep that under 1.42V.

You also never me tioned how you solved the problem...that would be helpful for those that run across this thread.

The main problem with XMP was when I was using the pre-determined clock settings (the 'dial' )in the BIOS vs manually setting the multiplier and VCORE. For some reason when setting it to 11 which is 4700, it turned off and greyed out XMP and there was no option to manually set anything when using that 'dial', for lack of a better term.
According to Intel, these chips can tolerate 1.52v safely?

ASUS came out with 1.42V. Which is over .2V from stock. Not sure I recall a cpu good to .3V over stock...

Ahh, yes, the story comes to the surface about not manually overclocking but using the dial.. makes sense now. :)

You can also mark the thread solved too!

Edit: there are also merits to P95 with this cpu. It gets so hot because of the AVX instructions used in the latest versions. I wouldn't call it a power virus. That said, try running FPU only in aida and see what that does...

Last edited:
ASUS came out with 1.42V. Which is over .2V from stock. Not sure I recall a cpu good to .3V over stock...

Ahh, yes, the story comes to the surface about not manually overclocking but using the dial.. makes sense. :)

Yep, haha. I was using the 'easy mode' overclock to test what this chip could do before I started going manual with it. IT had been running 4.6ghz on auto settings for over a month so I figured it was time to go manual and see what it would do. ;)

Back