• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Kingston FURY Beast 16GB 3600 CL17-21-21 @1.35V

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Haider

Hi,

I was poking about my PC last night as I'm upping the memory from 16GB to 32GB. Now the memory is meant to be AMD Ready and in my BIOS I select the XMP Profile #1: DDR4-3600 CL17-21-21 @1.35V but in CPU-Z it shows as running at CL18. I bought the RAM directly from Kingston to ensure it is authentic and not a far-east knock-off. Any ideas what's going on here?

Link to the memory https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KF436C17BBK2_16.pdf
Link to the motherboard https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-B550-TOMAHAWK

Thanks
Haider

Last edited:
How abourt an image to what CPUz shows. Both the SPD and Memory tabs, please. :)

For giggles, are you using the latest BIOS for your motherboard?

No idea what's going on, but, have you tried simply setting the CL to 17?

Did you clear the CMOS after you added the 2nd 2x8 DDR4 kit? Check the DRAM voltage because sometimes boards act stupid and don't actually set it to 1.35v. You also want to find the SOC voltage & make sure it is at least 1.0-1.1v.

Last edited:
I'm running my memory @ 16-20-20-40 and 1.45v. SOC @ 1.2v since I have 4 sticks. Default is 18-22-22-42 and 1.35v. Your board is adjusting via AUTO settings.

Would be more helpful if you posted images of required info as E_D asked.

We'll have to wait for the OP to confirm...but just yesterday, he mentioned wanting to upgrade RAM. Not sure it acutally happened yet. :shrug:

CL? Even when he set XMP?
XMP? Hmm, that is odd. You think maybe the memory is pre-programmed incorrectly? Maybe a glitch in the bios perhaps?

For the OP:

memory.JPG

Doubt it, but who knows....He said he enabled XMP, so at minimum it sets the four primary timings...

...just waiting on his CPUz shots before I'll speculate more. :)

Hey guys. Doesn't AMD only like even numbered CAS? My Threadripper 1900, Ryzen 3700 and 5700 all will only work with even numbered CAS. This is what I thought made AMD different from Intel in terms of memory compatibility.

Is this not the case?

I haven't put the other sticks in yet, my thinking is to get the CAS running around 17/16 then add the second lot. I upgraded the BIOS last year when I built it (PC). I'll go into the Bios and see if I can hard set that CAS...

Good to know! Don was correct. :thup: Like I said in my last post, I didn't know that it had to be even.

Yeah I do notice with both my boards, they won't boot with un-even CL numbers.

You have to enable it in BIOS to make it work. I forgot what it's called, and I don't have any AMD setup running right now, but it's on every AMD mobo - the tab with shared AMD settings.
Even CL is generally recommended, but it doesn't make a big difference.

is it the "power down" bios setting that allows odd values? I believe it is "something down"

Back