• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IBM Hard Drives

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
IBM 60GXP and 75GXP were the problematic lines.

I still own a pair of 30GB 75GXP since 2001. They still operate fine, atm, but I've always had a fan in front of them.

I don't think it really matters nowadays as IBM sold a large share of their storage division to Hitachi. (IBM still owns a smaller share of it, all former IBM product names are still used).

I've also used the newer Hitachi Deskstar line...They are surprisingly quite reliable and can easily keep up with today's highest performing IDE HDDs. So, despite the Deskstar name, its now a more reliable product.

I would lean to Seagate HDDs nowadays...I bought a pair of 80GB ones and both have 5 yr warranties! (It does say how much trust a company has when it applies 5 yr warranties to their products).

In any case (warranty or not), its wiser to conduct regular backups. Warranties cover the HDD itself, not the data it carries!

I've had a Hitachi 120gig drive for a while now, without any problems. Also, my old IBM 10gig hard drive made a lot of clicking noises, but it never died on me, and still works. It's kind of funny as it was the drive I abused the most (accidentally dropped it twice), and there were no problems, despite the noises.

Have a 8 GB desktar, working for 6 years and still going.
Another 60 GB for 4 years (still going too) and recently just bot a Hitachi 160GB. Hope its as reliable as my first 2.

I Probably have used nearly every brand of hard drive out there, in IDE, SCSI, SATA etc... the only ones that have died quickly have been Seagate. Oh Yea! Conner has been a big death threat for me. Samsung and WD have been the longest surviving drives in all my rigs.

What you have to realize is that most people who voted in that poll probably have never owned an IBM/Hitachi drive, and have no way to justify their answers, other than smearing IBM's reputation into the mud after reading about the infamous 60/75GXP models.

I'd be willing to bet the majority have used a select one or two hard drives, and have no idea how reliable IBM/Hitachi drives can really be.

I've got an IBM 22GXP 9.1GB (one of the first 2mb cache, 7200rpm to hit the market), and it's still cranking away to this day with 0 problems. I've owned several older deskstars (310mb, 700mb, 13gb) and none have given me any trouble.

Hard drives being mechanical in nature are GOING to fail regardless of manufacturer. Back up your data and do it often, because you never know when it's going to happen. I just had an 8gb Maxtor die, and take away 8gb worth of data with it.

Back