• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If you think your rig is condensation proof, think again!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dominick32

Senior Solid State Aficionado
Well, my Vapo has been running great and has been checked and overly inspected on multiple occasions. I never had any condensation on the outside of the insulation, capacitors on the mobo, the mounting backplate, or the actual cpu pins.

Well, I recently killed my mobo in a volt modding incident so I have a broken mobo to mess around with. Last night I used my Vapo LS unloaded and mounted to the motherboard in my 70*F air conditioned house. To my amazement, even unloaded @ -60*C for 15 minutes I had zero condensation.

To see if humidity from the outside air would create condensation I opened all the windows in my room, it was raining outside last night in New York and the air was real soupy. Within 3 minutes, my entire top 1/2 of the motherboard was becoming soaked in water including the actual mobo, capacitors, and there was a pool of water in the socket.

I must say, this definitely made me think twice about the whole dry air (air conditioned) house effect for phase change. You definitely need a dry house.

Note to self: On next mobo - USE A CRAP LOAD OF DIALETRIC GREASE, KEEP WINDOWS CLOSED AND HOUSE DRY, USE MORE INSULTATION, NEVER RUN THE VAPOCHILL FOR MORE THAN A MINUTE OR SO ON AN UNLOADED CPU.

Regards,

Gautam said:
Once again...;)

Can run as long as I want with the system off.

LMAO!!!!! I think I am gonna do this Gautam. Thanks for the help. Who needs Dialetric Grease when you got Vaseline? LOL:beer:

WaTTz said:
Your caps must be really chafed
hahahaha.
on the topic of condensation, i ran my mach 2 on various setups for the past 2 years and had no problems with condensation. i followed the basic guidelines for sealing and greasing and thats all. my setup was always in my basement in a dry place, so i guess the real lesson here is keep your phase system in a dry place.

Ever been over at XS? "Insulate, insulate, then insulate again" is something of what I heard from Chilly1 or another popular member, basically, insulate everything so it can withstand dumping water on it, then insulate it again. LOL

Aphex_Tom_9 said:
hahahaha.
on the topic of condensation, i ran my mach 2 on various setups for the past 2 years and had no problems with condensation. i followed the basic guidelines for sealing and greasing and thats all. my setup was always in my basement in a dry place, so i guess the real lesson here is keep your phase system in a dry place.
Try running your Mach II on LGA775.

Depending on certain climate conditions is a dangerous practice. A good insulation job should be able to hold up under any reasonable temperature and humidity range.

In my first sub-zero attempt with my liquid chiller, my insulation was good enough for the chiller to run at -35C with the system off for about 15 hours (cooling both CPU and GPU) without any sweating whatsoever.

When I do dry ice runs, things change dramatically. I use very little insulation out of laziness and depend on massive airflow to keep condensation away-I don't recommend this to anyone and it has cost me some hardware. However, for 24/7 usage I need to make sure that there is absolutely zero chance of any condensation appearing anywhere, so the extra effort is worth the peace of mind.

In that pick you linked Did you put vasalone In the cpu socket? wouldnt that stop it from working ?

Hehe...thats my first one of these boards, the second time around was a bit cleaner....followed Joe Camel's method as precisely as I could (this is his pic):

pict0261bj9.jpg

Cleaner all around, but I still absolutely use vaseline in the socket, its a must. I haven't seen the vapo mounting first hand, but from what I gather Vapo users won't need the neoprene on the mobo. But I recommend absolutely anyone going subambient with LGA775 to grease up the socket at the very least.

Gautam said:
But I recommend absolutely anyone going subambient with LGA775 to grease up the socket at the very least.

for real!!!

i don't get ppl (usually new to phase) who insist using grease is not needed when ppl who have trashed hardware in the past swear by it.

i lacquer and use dielectric and have yet to have a board die using this method.

Back