• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If you water-cool, VOTE!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

If you water-cool, VOTE

• 25/75% antifreeze(or equivalent)/distilled water

Votes: 118 12.3%
  • 10/90% antifreeze(or equivalent)/distilled water

Votes: 255 26.6%
  • 5/95% antifreeze(or equivalent)/distilled water

Votes: 77 8.0%
  • Zerex super protector(or equivalent) @ manufacturers recommended concentration.

Votes: 64 6.7%
  • 10/90% Zerex super protector(or equivalent)/distilled water

Votes: 59 6.1%
  • Windshield washer fluid.

Votes: 10 1.0%
  • Water Wetter(or equivalent) @ manufacturers recommended concentration.

Votes: 80 8.3%
  • 5/95% Water Wetter(or equivalent)/distilled water

Votes: 74 7.7%
  • plain distilled water

Votes: 140 14.6%
  • Any of the above with bleach or any other biocide. OR OTHER PLEASE LIST BELOW!

Votes: 83 8.6%

• Total voters
leadsalad said:
"Oh god it burns, my eyes, the googles do nothing!"

Oh that's easily remedied by putying it in the system under closed conditions or use a hood or a high powered fan outdoors to deflect the fumes away form person.:D

Anyway, now that you mention it, I thought of another "benefit" besides superior heat capacitance and microbialcide and that's leak detection.:D Not only would you detect the slightest leak in your system, pretty evident alarm bellz would ring before you passed out. Hell H2 would be even better, go out with a BANG like the hindenbug:D

Edit: Just jokeing. The reason it's not used currently is water blocks and radiators are made of copper. The ammonia molecule inonizes in water to ammonium hydroxide and the hydroxyl anion racacts with copper to form copper sulphate eating both radiator and water block.

Someday when this field "water cooling" becomes more mainstream and chips call for it, we will see silicon doxide heat sinks, radiators and water blocks and ammonium based coolants.

Last edited:
I have 5% antifreeze 90% water and a lot of highlighter water:D

its been doing me pretty good so far I will be changing some stuff out soon to find out if its doing its job right.

Jon

BeerHunter said:

... another "benefit" besides superior heat capacitance and microbialcide and that's leak detection...

Yes, spilling concentrated ammonium solution on the electronics will be pretty evident and costly.

... the hydroxyl anion racacts with copper to form copper sulphate eating both radiator and water block...
_
OH + Cu --> CuSO4 ??? where did sulfur come from

I have the 5/95% Water Wetter/distilled. Seems fine to me. No growing stuff, only stained tubing after a year and a half of no changing fluid.

leadsalad said:
"Oh god it burns, my eyes, the googles do nothing!"

Lol, go Simpsons. Anyway, I'm currently using VW antifreeze that's made for my mom's car. It mentioned something about protection of mixed metals from aluminium. I'm using it at 50/50, since I think I might have chipped of some the annodized aluminium.

I use regular tap water, and some Dawn soap (a dab or two). A little rubbing alcohol if it's around. Or Listerine mouthwash. I guess I should probably list Sierra Mist, too, since there's a little bit of that in there. Oh, and doritos. Oh by the way, doritos have really bad heat transfer properties.

I also occosinally spit into my res, but since that's kind of gross, I try to balance it out with some windshield wiper fluid about once a year.

I am using distilled water, about 5% of zerex supper coolent, and a very small amount of barqua spa sanitizer. If I add too much sanitizer it makes the zerex "stiky".

I'm using the SSS premo mix for quite some time now.
at least a year, with nothing wrong or built up.

it is disstilled water with some type of uv mix that was done for me by SSS....he can explain better.

mica

I can't vote! I am using 60% water to 40% Prestone solution. I have to use a high concentration 'cause my rads outside, (4ºF this morning, brrr).

toyota-red antifreeze here

used to be koolance liquid until i ran out

both have kept the system clean and running smooth over very long periods of time

and before that mobil-blue antifreeze which really messed up the prior system; was aluminum and cheap so it didn't matter anyways

I'd say I'm running bout 90% di-hydrogen monoxide and 10% Prestone. No corrosion as far as I know, just buildup.

Cyrix_2k said:
4 cap-fulls of D-Tek Supercool and Tap Water
Oh man you are just asking for trouble. Tap water has so much crap in it, minerals and bacteria etc. Your loop is going to be a scaly nightmare I would think.

I know I only need 10% antifreeze in the loop but since I have a solid aluminum tranny cooler in place of my copper 2-342 heater core, I bumped it up to 20% to be on the safe side. I hope to find something even better than the tranny cooler by the time my Storm/G4 arrives in a few days.

But in the interim that Koolance Liquid Blue looks like the way to go. It's a really nice blue and it's UV reactive. So much easier than trying to find blue or clear antifreeze.

i just dump in 1/2 a cap of listerine mouth wash to my gallon of water. works great and smell nice and perky

nikhsub1 said:
Oh man you are just asking for trouble. Tap water has so much crap in it, minerals and bacteria etc. Your loop is going to be a scaly nightmare I would think.

I agree, there really isn't an excuse for not using distilled water. It saves your loop from becoming a clogged-up pool of life and you can have its benefits for next to nothing. Shame on tap water users! ;)

Back