• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IHS Removal: Limited number of reseats

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyreal

I've been doing alot of research lately on popping the cap of my X2 3800. I read somewhere that i will only have a limited number of heatsink/waterblock reseats before the processor will wear out/crack/or be crushed.

My temps are fairly reasonable. 42-44c load on both cores using Folding@home. I'm using a Swiftech Storm which I've been told is designed for a non-IHS processor. Also, something I should note, I'm using the socket LGA775 method not the socket 939 method. Basically all I'm doing is putting the LGA775 bolts through and mounting it LGA775 style instead of using the socket 939 bolts and using the brackets, etc.

So should I be worried about crushing my core?

Because you're using bolts you probably won't have to worry since the block will go on flat instead of at an angle (as traditional clipped on heatsinks would).

Thanks.

I'm still a little worried though. I've read about processors dieing a few months after they were popped.

It's definitely a possibility. But we survived for quite a while before IHS's became the norm. Just be careful and don't overtighten, and make sure it's always going down totally level. Same with removing it.

I always got really nervous when dealing with my old Athlon XP, or when dealing with a chipset cooler or something. But just take your time (even ask someone for an extra hand if needed) and you should be OK.

Thanks for the advice guys.

While I'm thinking about it, I'm going through various thought changes. One moment I will have decided not to do it and just be happy with my temps (not worth the risk) then a few minutes later I'll start thinking that everything is really OK and the temp drop is well worth it.

So we'll see... I think i'll try it out on an old venice first.

My Opty 144 has been mounted and unmounted MANY of times without a IHS...he lives long today chuggin away at 3.2ghz :)

I got some super neat little foam pads (much like the ones on XPs) from g0dm@n to prevent any core cracks :p

From the looks of you sig it looks like you are air cooling. I doubt you'll get much more out for the chip just by taking off the lid.

perhaps if it was a good water setup or you were freezing it, I'd say it'd be worth it...but with air, i'd just stick with the IHS

Forgot to upgrade the sig. If you look in the original post, I am watercooling. Waterblock is a storm.

EDIT:

Right now i'm in my room, ambient is around 10-15c. My cpu is 38c load! it slowly rises and balances out at 42.

Last edited:
I popped the lid!

The actual process of removing the IHS is very easy but I had a good scare after installing it onto the motherboard. I guess I was a little eager and I didn't realize some pins were bent so i installed in the motherboard and when I powered up nothing happened. I took out the cpu and fixed the pins and now it works!

The temp drop is not extraordinary. Right now it seems to be hovering around 40c. So a 2c drop. BUT! I am going to reseat the processor and heatsink because i screwed up the as5 severely. I pulled the heatsink up many times afterwards. Also, I don't think the storm is putting proper pressure on the processor.

When you apply AS5 to a naked core, you want to spread the AS5. It's not like on the IHS where you can just put a drop in the center.

When you spread it, make it as thin as possible. When i do it, I use a plastic baggie and spread it with my finger. (Like one of the really thin sandwich baggies, not a thick ziplock bag) Just be sure to make a super thin layer, but still make complete coverage.

jivetrky said:
When you apply AS5 to a naked core, you want to spread the AS5. It's not like on the IHS where you can just put a drop in the center.

When you spread it, make it as thin as possible. When i do it, I use a plastic baggie and spread it with my finger. (Like one of the really thin sandwich baggies, not a thick ziplock bag) Just be sure to make a super thin layer, but still make complete coverage.

Thanks for the information. I haven't removed an IHS before but I'm certainly not new to computers. I had been working with naked core processors for a very long time before getting my a64.

jivetrky said:

what happen if you spread the AS5 on the HIS?
also are those cores (that come with HIS) more fragile than the cores on the XP or duron...?

blarf said:
what happen if you spread the AS5 on the HIS?
also are those cores (that come with HIS) more fragile than the cores on the XP or duron...?

I've tried spreading and just blobbing the AS5 on an IHS CPU. I found that with spreading you can sometimes not get good contact if your IHS isn't perfectly straight (and many are not). So by putting a blob in the center, it will even itself out over the CPU core.

And about the fragility, I'm not really sure. That was something I had thought about also. I figured that they might not take as much fare in fortifying the core if they plan for it to be covered by the IHS.

thanks for the quick answer. my opty 148 got AS5 all the way accross. i'm getting an opty 170 so i'll try just the little blob in the center. nothing on the heatsink?

I'd say that if your heatsink doesn't have a polished mirror finish, then you could rub some AS5 on the heatsink and then wipe it off. Don't use alcohol, just use a good cloth and get it off as best as possible. This should just leave the AS5 in any small pits that are on the heatsink. Just helps to be sure there is a perfect contact.

I'd say that if your heatsink doesn't have a polished mirror finish

Mirror finish doesn't mean anything. A mirror finish does not signify a flat surface. The whole point of lapping is to get the surface as flat as possible.

To apply thermalpaste to a processor with an IHS, just put a small blob in the middle and mount the heatsink. Thats it.

No it doesn't, but a mirror finish isn't going to have pits that the AS5 would fill. And when I say mirror I mean actually polished. Not just lapped very well.

Put those 10mm green felt sticky pads on each corner of the pcb to reduce tipping the block while screwing it down. This will minimize any change of chipping the corner of the core as I did twice before I used them. Get them at home depot or lowes for 89 cents

Back