• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm writing my own

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If its so small, I could probably run dns + http for you off my cablemodem. For chat, just register a chaannel on irc.openprojects.net and tell people to use that.

XWRed1 said:
If its so small, I could probably run dns + http for you off my cablemodem. For chat, just register a chaannel on irc.openprojects.net and tell people to use that.

I like that much more. That goofy applet kept freezing Mandrake.

Yes, providing a java applet for "live chat" is very lame imho, just let people use irc.

I'm not sure I understand what you fellas are talking about. Are we going to use somebody's personal server?

I volunteered mine, as long as Pride uses almost no bandwidth.

I could do pride.xwredwing.net, but if you want Prideos.com or something, you have to pay money to register the domain name.

One flat rate, not monthly charge for a domain name?

>> I volunteered mine, as long as Pride uses almost no bandwidth. <<

I wouldn't know the bandwidth of Pride's site. That would be a good question for drunkmonkey, Pride's webmaster. drunkmonkey would might want to just paste the code onto the site instead of a download. Would that save some bandwidth?

That wouldn't save much bandwidth. I'm saying I wouldn't want someone putting up huge files and linking them to a ton of sites, linking images to a bunch of sites, getting me slashdotted, etc.

The site won't use much bandwidth, I'll keep all the downloads on te barrysworld server. By running a dns server doesn't that register the name for free?? A380 could host files if he wanted to...
Thanx a lot XWRed1 and A380!

Wow, just found out somethin cool, that little counter logs everyone's ip's and all their sys info(screen size, os, browser, etc.) and also enables me to find any trouble maker's(once we get a forum) ISP, so we could actually call a spammer in the message board I'm going to make.
Now to reaad ur minds... Who here has a DSL isp in britain with the name of btopenworld or the such??? or another isp in britain called ntl??? maybe someone else with the ISP, LOOK Communcations??? I'm really a physcic :D.

By running a dns server doesn't that register the name for free??

No, it doesn't. You still have to by a domain name, tell them to have it associated with your dns server. Then you can make as many subdomains as you want under the one you bought, for free. But the actual top domain, right before the .com or .net or whatever, you need to buy.

Imagine the havoc if anyone could grab a domain name by running a dns server. Maybe I'll just grab overclockers.com or oc-forums.com. What? They're taken? Oh well, guess I'll just conflict and screw up their service.

that little counter logs everyone's ip's and all their sys info(screen size, os, browser, etc.)

You can usually derive that information from the logs from the web server.

and also enables me to find any trouble maker's(once we get a forum) ISP, so we could actually call a spammer in the message board I'm going to make.

You could figure out their isp by just looking at the host mask that goes along with their ip, but that still will only let you track down their isp. The isp is in no way obligated to divulge who was using that ip address at that time, unless you have a warrant or something.

How much does it cost to register a .com and where is the best place to go.

I've heard many ISP's will cooperate in finding out who spammers and hackers are as long as there is some evidence.

I registered mine at http://seaportnethosting.com/. They $15/yr to get it for 10 years, $35/yr to get it for one year, and improve the price as you buy it for more years.

AFAIK, ISPs will only cooperate so far as maybe killing their email or even their account, if they're spamming. I've never seen anyone spam a messageboard, though, usually the ones that get busted a bulk email spammers.

I really don't see the dire need of having to pay for the website of Pride. Isn't what we are doing now fine?

A nice paid 4 web host would be a lot nicer han our free one, once the basics of the page are made, advanced scripting(php,cgi,asp,sql, etc.) is quite limited. No good chat rooms, message boards, etc. may be hosted by the site.
I just thought that ability of the counter to track ppl was pretty good for a free service :DI love free:D

Back to Pride...

Back to the subject :)D), I'm starting to extensively think about what Pride will be like. I have lots of plans, and I believe that I'm going to be partial to Overclockers and give accessibility to changing FSB, voltages, etc. and everything that is needed. But, like I said before, this might be some time. Just thinkin'... :)

Back