• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

In the market for a new GPU, thoughts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The RX 480 8 GB did have a big price advantage over the 1060. For the slight gain in performance the 1060 wouldn't have been worth the extra cash, IMO. Unfortunately, RX 480 8 GB prices have jumped high enough to negate that advantage. The 4 GB cards run the memory a little slower (1750 MHz vs. 2000 MHz) and are overall benching behind the 8 GB cards. Again, the difference upon release made the 4 GB cards a non issue, but now your point is valid. The 480s do best with DX 12 but still only show a clear advantage in some titles and not in all resolutions across those titles. The 4 GB cards even less so. The 4 GB cards are a much better value now, though. 8 GB 480 vs. 1060 http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1748?vs=1771 4 GB 480 vs. 1060 http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1749?vs=1771

So with the OP's stated budget cap of $375 I really don't see any alternative to the 1060 except a refurbished 980. And the places the 980 shows any advantage may well be fixed by driver improvements for the 1060. At least that's my take on the OP's situation, for what it's worth. Oh, and Hi, Mark!

I agree that he better off buying a 1060 cause his budget allows it, But 8GB of VRAM on the RX480 is useless, 5GB would be enough for that card.
OP should remember he cant SLI the 1060 (He can only if the game allows it and its not called SLI) and if he wants to get more power in the future he must buy a new card.

Hi Alaric ;)

4GB is enough at 1080p for a while. ;)

5GB isn't really possible with the current setup of the card.

4GB is enough at 1080p for a while. ;)

5GB isn't really possible with the current setup of the card.

Yeah i know it isnt quite possible, But 5GB is more than enough for 1080p and for future games while 4GB struggles in some games (Such as Shadow of mordor and GTA V) at 1080p, But mostly doing good.

I'd play it safe and go 6GB minimum, so RX 480 or GTX 1060, or used 980ti (the latest would be my choice).

Considering there's an ASUS GTX 1060 in stock at Newegg for $329 and comes with a $15 rebate, I'd go that route.

4GB struggles at 1080p? This is on highest quality settings right?

4GB is enough at 1080p. There are a rare few titles now that use more than 4GB at 1080p. 5GB isn't going to do squat. That said, I would get the 8GB so there is never a worry.

Nope.

GTA V is a one off (there are a couple, but its rare). ME:SOM doesn't come close to 4GB at 1080p with the settings cranked last I checked...we use that game to review. ;)

Considering there's an ASUS GTX 1060 in stock at Newegg for $329 and comes with a $15 rebate, I'd go that route.

I am struggling with the same issues as the OP but 329 is about 50 to much for a 1060. I think the MSI was in stock this morning but I fell asleep while I was looking and missed it being in stock. Just like the 970 you could get now and trade up when they are in stock, but the 970 is ridiculously high, I think because folks that have one realize that to keep up they can run two with 1070 to 1080 performance. I personally wouldn't go that route but I am stuck waiting on stock to replenish. I also really want a backplate and the EVGA models don't offer that. This is a really bad time to need a card, and I am not going to pay more then I think it is worth but I have been waiting a long time. I am also am looking at the same budget but it is more self imposed then a strict limit. I could have already ordered the 1070 but don't believe that it is worth the price that they are asking right now, pretty much everything is about 50 bucks higher then I think they should be. I have already waited a few months and my patience is wearing thin, I will buy but I won't pay to much.

This is a really bad time to need a card

Inconvenient to purchase for sure, but a pretty good time to pick one. Compared to what a 3.5 GB 970 cost a couple months ago you can now get 6 GB and 8 GB cards that are as fast or faster for a lot less. And the new cards should only get better with driver improvements. I remember 970s pushing the $400 mark. A $280 1060 is faster and uses less power. These are first world problems. :)

supposedly you'll be able to afford a 1070 once there are enough to go around. if you can hold out a little longer that may be the way to go.

4GB is enough at 1080p. There are a rare few titles now that use more than 4GB at 1080p. 5GB isn't going to do squat. That said, I would get the 8GB so there is never a worry.

Nope.

GTA V is a one off (there are a couple, but its rare). ME:SOM doesn't come close to 4GB at 1080p with the settings cranked last I checked...we use that game to review. ;)

The review i read (Not about RX480, Just about if 4GB of VRAM is enough) Most of the games used 2-3GB of VRAM but only Shadow of mordor and GTA V got to 4GB of VRAM usage, The settings were cranked up to the highest setting WITH AO ON(Shadow of mordor) and AA(GTA V) ON, Without these settings on the games were not using more than 4000MB of VRAM.

Here is a link from where i took the info from

And i agree its better to buy the 8GB version, But if you go to such prices and you dont have a freesync monitor, Better buy a 1060.

Mark, I tested again on my system and stand corrected. We made a change to the settings which kicked it up over there.

That said, the game runs REMARKABLY smooth for using more than the vRAM on the card!!!

Mark, I tested again on my system and stand corrected. We made a change to the settings which kicked it up over there.

That said, the game runs REMARKABLY smooth for using more than the vRAM on the card!!!

Okay :p
Can i see the review/test you did? Just curious.

Oy... let me get my head straight. I mis-spoke.

I tested earlier on an RX 480 8GB. It hit 4.7GB with Ultra, AO on, and changed the AA setting (see our GPU testing method article for details).

The review on the RX 480 will be up inn a day or so I would imagine. Otherwise, we have reviews on the front page.

Oy... let me get my head straight. I mis-spoke.

I tested earlier on an RX 480 8GB. It hit 4.7GB with Ultra, AO on, and changed the AA setting (see our GPU testing method article for details).

The review on the RX 480 will be up inn a day or so I would imagine. Otherwise, we have reviews on the front page.

Okay :p
And i told you it takes more than 4GB @1080p ;)

supposedly you'll be able to afford a 1070 once there are enough to go around. if you can hold out a little longer that may be the way to go.

^+1 While I'm also interested in ED's results, with the OP's stated budget I still have to recommend a 1060 now or a 1070 later. Or an EVGA 1060 now and take advantage of EVGA's upgrade program later. This from a guy who just bought a RX 480, and I'm happy with the bang/buck ratio at the present time. But I will be upgrading to Team Green soon. When I can find a source for a Galax GTX 1070 HOF that will ship to the US. :(

^+1 While I'm also interested in ED's results, with the OP's stated budget I still have to recommend a 1060 now or a 1070 later. Or an EVGA 1060 now and take advantage of EVGA's upgrade program later. This from a guy who just bought a RX 480, and I'm happy with the bang/buck ratio at the present time. But I will be upgrading to Team Green soon. When I can find a source for a Galax GTX 1070 HOF that will ship to the US. :(

Good luck <3

Last edited by a moderator:
The Galax webstore doesn't?

Back