• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

installing a waterjacket

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

peewee

can someone give me some advice on how to install the holddown clamp on a waterjacket that comes with the aquastealth 2 kit?. i dont want to overtighten and crack my cpu,...

It just hooks onto the 2 middle lugs on your socket and tighten it down with the little wing nuts. Be VERY careful not to over tighten them tho. I have broken off 2 lugs on 2 different MoBo's by giving them that extra little twist to make sure it's on there good. Big mistake. I lost a 1.2 CPU this way, when the lug broke the waterblock came off the chip (the comp was on and I was watching the temp while adjusting the hold down to make sure the waterblock was on the chip flat) Those lugs cant take very much pressure before they break.

TT120 (Apr 28, 2001 08:18 p.m.):
It just hooks onto the 2 middle lugs on your socket and tighten it down with the little wing nuts. Be VERY careful not to over tighten them tho. I have broken off 2 lugs on 2 different MoBo's by giving them that extra little twist to make sure it's on there good. Big mistake. I lost a 1.2 CPU this way, when the lug broke the waterblock came off the chip (the comp was on and I was watching the temp while adjusting the hold down to make sure the waterblock was on the chip flat) Those lugs cant take very much pressure before they break.

Thats harsh(watching it die like that), just curiose, how fast those temps rise. Probably almost an instant death I am guessing.

i'm just worried about crushing the cpu, shold the block touch the bottom of the cpu?. also is it ok to have little air bubbles in the lines?. i hooked it up on my table to test it and i added water but still had little tiny bubbles in the line, the aluminum housing that the pump is in came with a round oring to seal a square box?. any ideas how to do that?

Door Knob (Apr 28, 2001 08:34 p.m.):
TT120 (Apr 28, 2001 08:18 p.m.):

Thats harsh(watching it die like that), just curiose, how fast those temps rise. Probably almost an instant death I am guessing.
Instant death, like 3 seconds. I reached for the power cord to yank it out but it was too late. Dead bird.

peewee (Apr 28, 2001 08:34 p.m.):
i'm just worried about crushing the cpu, shold the block touch the bottom of the cpu?. also is it ok to have little air bubbles in the lines?. i hooked it up on my table to test it and i added water but still had little tiny bubbles in the line, the aluminum housing that the pump is in came with a round oring to seal a square box?. any ideas how to do that?
I think you mean the 'top' of the chip, and yes it should touch the top of the chip. In fact, make SURE it touches the top of the chip or you wont have to worry about it any more. The little bubbles will eventually go away. They will accumulate in the reservior (aluminum housing)

just be careful and you will be fine. Those lugs will not take much presure before the break,get the jacket on securely, but do not make that last twist to ensure it is on.

ok i think i will be fine, what about installing the oring that came with the kit to seal the reservior its round and the reservior is square?. or do i not need it at all?.

I could be mistaken but I think the only real benifit of sealing off the reservoir is to prevent it from leaking or spilling due to moving the pc around or bumping it. Without sealing it you could forget that the reservoir is in there and say tip the pc over to dig around! OUCH!!! That would hurt!
So if you are going to keep it in the pc, I would recomend sealing it off!

bdf24 (Apr 28, 2001 10:21 p.m.):
I could be mistaken but I think the only real benifit of sealing off the reservoir is to prevent it from leaking or spilling due to moving the pc around or bumping it. Without sealing it you could forget that the reservoir is in there and say tip the pc over to dig around! OUCH!!! That would hurt!
So if you are going to keep it in the pc, I would recomend sealing it off!

yeah except sealing a square with a o ring is kinda hard!.

heres my last question, which way should the fan on the radiator be facing? should it be pulling air from outside through the radiator or pull air from the case out the radiator?

i think you want it to ether blow air from the OUTSIDE or draw air from the OUTSIDE. do not use the air from the case becuase it is warm then the water will be warm and so on...

hmm, i think pulling air tends to work a tad better. You might want to ensure you are getting the coolest air possible onto the radiator.

well i have the side off my towercase, gets more air and i think makes the overall temp inside a lot cooler, does it matter if the radiator is on the top of the tower over the powersupply or on the bottom of the case?.
i would like to thank everyone who is helping me out, since i am new at oc'ing and dont want an expensive keychain.

put it at the bottom with a fun pulling cooler air from the outside into the case through the radiator. Also, have radiator right before the cpu in the tubing order so you have the coolest water going to the cpu. I can understand about the keychain, i have one myself.

dunno260 (Apr 29, 2001 01:21 p.m.):
Also, have radiator right before the cpu in the tubing order so you have the coolest water going to the cpu.

you lost me here what do you mean have the radiator right before the cpu in the tubing order, i thought the setup goes like this from the pump into the radiator, from radiator into waterblock, backto reservior?. correct me if i am wrong

Back