• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel 13th vs 14th gen and QVL

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nstgc

Registered
I'm having some memory problems, as mentioned in another thread. Relevent parts:
  • PSU: 850W Super Flower Leadex Titanium.
  • CPU: i7-14700k
  • Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z790-A Gaming WiFi II
  • RAM: Team Group T-Create DDR5-7200 CL34 (CTCED548G7200HC34ADC01)
After trying to adjust the CPU mounting (which actually made it worse?), I decided to check the QVL again. My RAM kit is on that board's QLV, but for the 13th gen. My understanding is the 13th and 14th gen Intel Core CPUs are identical save for a difference in using a refinement of the 10nm node. So the IMC should be the same and what's on one QVL should be on the other.

Is this a bad assumption? Before I try buying new RAM, I thought I'd ask since it seems like a stretch.

(By the way, ASUS doesn't list any RAM kits verified to run at DDR5 7200—only above or below that.)
(Actually, looking closer at that board's QVL for 14th gen... it's kind of weird. Like, there are no 2x16GB kits with a speed over 6400; for that, you need to get 2x24GB kits.)

edit: I'm not sure how accurate the ASUS prediction thing is, but it rates my CPU with an SP of 76. From what I can tell from online sources, that's pretty bad.

edit2 After testing with MemTest at various speeds, the highest it can go without errors seems to be DDR5 6400. At 6600 it errs after a 3 minutes. I've yet to run more than 2 passes of the suite at any speed, and the second pass at 6400 took twice as long as the first for some reason, suggesting to me some kind of throttling.

edit3: I spoke with an ASUS rep via chat. As expected "if it isn't on the 14th gen list, it isn't supported", which isn't very satisfying when the 13th and 14th gens should have the same IMC.

Last edited:
In theory, the 13th and 14th generations are the same. However, the average binning for the 14th gen is higher, so most QVL have a bit higher maximum frequencies for 14th gen CPUs.

CPU SP has nothing to do with the quality of IMC. On ASUS motherboards, you can find an option to check IMC SP, but it seems not to be very accurate regarding the maximum RAM clock. I have 14700K and 14900KF right now. Both have around 80 CPU SP, but also 76-77 IMC SP. For CPU, the max is 130+. For IMC, the max is 80+.

I haven't seen a CPU that couldn't run with RAM at 7600; even random i5-13600 non-K could do it. Usually problems start at 7800+. Also most ASUS motherboards have no problems with 7600-7800. Nearly every Strix runs at 8000, even when memory kits at 8000 are not on QVL.

Every 2x24GB 7000+ kit that is on ASUS mobo QVL uses Hynix M-die IC. It's because Samsung has no chips for 24GB modules, and Micron hits a wall at lower frequencies. The only brand that released 7000 Micron kits is Corsair, but it's CL42 or 44. I haven't seen them in stores yet.

I would say that:
1. Your motherboard can be faulty
2. Your RAM can be faulty

Either way, I would ask manufacturers ( TeamGroup too) what they think, and there is a chance they can replace it. Generally, G.Skill or Kingston are safe bets. At least I had no problems with these brands.
If RAM has more than one XMP profile, then check the lower one.
Check manual settings, everything at auto, except for memory clock 7200, main timings CL36-46-46-46-98, VDD/VDDQ 1.40V.

Well, I picked a kit from the QV list (F5-7600J3848F24GX2-TZ5RW) for both the board AND the CPU this time, with similar effect.

i did contact Team Group too. They replied asking for clarification which I've yet to provide. I'm a lot less interested in the answer now.

So I guess that leaves the mother board? What's a good way to test that? Swapping out (and more importantly, returning) RAM kits is simple. I don't think it would be so easy to do that with a motherboard.

Last edited:
Back