• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Core i9 9900K benchmark leaks: Roughly 25% faster than i7 8700K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Organik

I feel bad for those who pulled the trigger a little soon.

Intel is set to release their Core i9 9900K late August or September, the new mainstream 9th generation flagship model has appeared in 3DMark, with specs and a score and everything.

The eight-core CPU scores 10718 points in the Time Spy CPU test. When you isolate and compare that number a bit back and forth, you can compare it compare with say a Ryzen 2700X, which is at 9147 points, Intel's Core i7 8700K scores an average of 7918 (all at defaults). That's 25% more cores, and 25% more CPU performance.

Now release a 32 core CPU with the 9900K speed and OC of 5Ghz. That would be virtually 64 threads 5Ghz a pop, The 3 thousand dollar CPU. I mean the 18 core right now is 2 thousand.

Last edited:
The 32 core Intel at 5 GHz ain't happening, not without sub ambient cooling. Now, if you want 32c/64t on air, the next Threadrippers are coming soon. For a lot less than $3k. LOL

Man, sorry I got info from another site I visit but I visit a bunch of them. I have to go find it again, but I don't think they had a link to the leak. I think its set it stone at this point I would bet my money in september were gonna see the 9900k and I wonder how much it will cost. 600 bucks get you a hexacore. So a eight core would be 900 bucks

- - - Updated - - -

Im just the messenger Alark lol. But honestly neighter of us need to upgrade, why are we even talking about this. Whatever you buy anyways is old news the next day. Its better to use your comp until it dies and you burry it.

Your with team blue why you saying get a AMD my friend. Im on team blue and green. :) Plus I don't like the name of it. Threadripper. wtf. more like The Beast.. or ... RedJet or RedHat ..... oh sighs, RedHat is already taken name.

Last edited:
The 32 core Intel at 5 GHz ain't happening, not without sub ambient cooling. Now, if you want 32c/64t on air, the next Threadrippers are coming soon. For a lot less than $3k. LOL

That should be able to finish work productivity fast.:)

Man, sorry I got info from another site I visit but I visit a bunch of them. I have to go find it again, but I don't think they had a link to the leak. I think its set it stone at this point I would bet my money in september were gonna see the 9900k and I wonder how much it will cost. 600 bucks get you a hexacore. So a eight core would be 900 bucks

- - - Updated - - -

Im just the messenger Alark lol. But honestly neighter of us need to upgrade, why are we even talking about this. Whatever you buy anyways is old news the next day. Its better to use your comp until it dies and you burry it.

Your with team blue why you saying get a AMD my friend. Im on team blue and green. :) Plus I don't like the name of it. Threadripper. wtf. more like The Beast.. or ... RedJet or RedHat ..... oh sighs, RedHat is already taken name.

Honestly unless you're strictly 1080p gaming, Intel vs AMD is a fairly moot argument. And gaming at resolutions above 1080p closes the gap between both to near irrelevant numbers. In my eyes the only thing holding back AMD right now is roughly 700-800 MHz and roughly a 15% increase in IPC performance... And they are poised to address that with Ryzen 2 next year... The real difference between the two is price and AMD could win that fight right now with one arm behind their back.

And the Thread Ripper platform is putting Intel's comparable offerings to shame and for FAR less money.

I feel bad for those who pulled the trigger a little soon.

Intel is set to release their Core i9 9900K late August or September, the new mainstream 9th generation flagship model has appeared in 3DMark, with specs and a score and everything.

The eight-core CPU scores 10718 points in the Time Spy CPU test. When you isolate and compare that number a bit back and forth, you can compare it compare with say a Ryzen 2700X, which is at 9147 points, Intel's Core i7 8700K scores an average of 7918 (all at defaults). That's 25% more cores, and 25% more CPU performance.

Now release a 32 core CPU with the 9900K speed and OC of 5Ghz. That would be virtually 64 threads 5Ghz a pop, The 3 thousand dollar CPU. I mean the 18 core right now is 2 thousand.

So I read it as performance gain = core count gain = the same performance per core. I don't know why you feel bad for people who got 6 core CPUs some time ago, are already using them and won't see any difference in most home/office applications.
8 cores are nothing new. Anyone who wanted more cores could already get it. If you check Ryzen sales then you will see that even though 8 cores were released first then most users were waiting till 6 cores were released and actually 6 cores are maybe 60-70% of total Ryzen sales. It simply says that users don't need more and don't want to pay for more.
If my random sources are right then Intel did pretty much nothing to improve performance per core. Still nice to have 8 cores on a cheaper motherboard but the CPU price won't be low enough for most users.

If I'm right then even if 9900K will have turbo of 5GHz then only on 1-2 cores what means it won't run at 5GHz for 99.5% of the time. The same as 8086K which goes up to 5GHz for so short period of time that if not monitoring software then I wouldn't even see that. Still $100 more than 8700K for something that noone sees.

I doubt we will see 16 cores at 4.5GHz+, not to mention 32 at 5GHz. Constant 5GHz is impossible to stabilize using current technology, in reasonable prices and in mass production at reasonable TDP which could be easily controlled.
32 cores at 5GHz in current gen (9th gen won't be any different than the 8th gen) will be probably 500W TDP under full load. If Intel could make it then current 16-18 cores wouldn't have frequency of ~3.5GHz at low voltage. Coffee Lake is not prepared for so high load. Skylake-X is scaling like +100W per 0.1V ... starts at about 250W+ under load at stock while 1.25V is already 350W, average or below average chip requires 1.35V at 5GHz, so will go up to ~500W.

As always Intel dumps out new chips with subpar increase in performance over it's last gen. A nice looking box with crap inside with a nice purdy bow. Not the first time Intel has done this nor will it be it's last. I'm done with Intel at this point. I'm looking towards AMD for my next upgrade.

If my random sources are right then Intel did pretty much nothing to improve performance per core. Still nice to have 8 cores on a cheaper motherboard but the CPU price won't be low enough for most users.

I'd expect zero difference per core per clock, unless you consider inter-core latency differences from more cores, or other potential external bottlenecks. This is in part why I like to understand how a core generation behaves, as from there it is usually a simple scaling exercise once you know the core count and all core turbo clocks.

I bought into the 6 core Intel relatively late, so I'm not exactly itching for an 8 core. Probably will get one anyway at some point once it gets colder. Rumours on its date are all over the shop, with some saying it may be later than you think.

There is a chance that this year we will see new chips for X299 mobos that many of us already have.

I'm not sure if anything that Intel does in the last 2 years is good for them or their clients. Their premieres look like a fight with AMD which has nothing that really beats Intel anyway. The only product that sells well is 6 core Ryzen. Everything 8 core+ is a marketing success but sales are not really high. Intel panic for no special reason. They could wait and release whole line of improved processors while they feed us with single premieres that make some noise in press.
They will kill their "new" products not long after premiere. The same as they did with everything since Kaby Lake premiere, half year and replacement.

There is a chance that this year we will see new chips for X299 mobos that many of us already have.

I'm not sure if anything that Intel does in the last 2 years is good for them or their clients. Their premieres look like a fight with AMD which has nothing that really beats Intel anyway. The only product that sells well is 6 core Ryzen. Everything 8 core+ is a marketing success but sales are not really high. Intel panic for no special reason. They could wait and release whole line of improved processors while they feed us with single premieres that make some noise in press.
They will kill their "new" products not long after premiere. The same as they did with everything since Kaby Lake premiere, half year and replacement.

Intel has a PR problem, and they can't afford to risk that. I believe that's why the tail chasing. Both sides have fanboys, some people make fun of AMD, but there are people out there who hate Intel. They have been so shady for so long that a wide cross section of the consumers, reviewers, etc. want to see them fail against Ryzen. Or at least get a major black eye. Their products have to be far enough ahead of the competition's to keep even the haters buying Blue. There's nothing wrong with their chips right now, there's just nothing special about them. That's a good opportunity for AMD and all the users who'd rather not pay Intel. I would imagine Intel knows this.

Their CPUs are fine, I don't think Team Blue is at any technological disadvantage, and they aren't going to be toppled by a couple gens of competitive AMD chips. As a corporation they seem greedier than most and since their responses to Ryzen have been a little strange, I'm just guessing at why. With K8, Intel got away with cheating, blackmailing, and outright lying. Having been caught at these things so often, they're under a microscope now, and the idea of a fair fight seems to rattle them. LOL

My friend I got my Hexa Core back in 2012 ish and it has never gone to 100 percent load unless I render in my DAW which is normal. But doing projects I have 40 tracks on takes up 60 percent CPU power. Also when I play Unreal Tournament Alpha it uses average 12 percent CPU power. Once that 12 percent goes to 100 percent then I will upgrade. Until then I love this 12 thread beast.

Their CPUs are fine, I don't think Team Blue is at any technological disadvantage, and they aren't going to be toppled by a couple gens of competitive AMD chips. As a corporation they seem greedier than most and since their responses to Ryzen have been a little strange, I'm just guessing at why. With K8, Intel got away with cheating, blackmailing, and outright lying. Having been caught at these things so often, they're under a microscope now, and the idea of a fair fight seems to rattle them. LOL

Intel has no issues with technology or meeting the market demand. They simply have marketing problems and some people decide to release stupid products in the wrong time (in last 2 years at least). They won't lose anything on these moves just because those who dislike Intel are only small % of whole market. Most users don't even care what is in their PC and market simply trusts Intel much more.
Intel can release the same product 5 times marking it gen 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... and it will still sell good. Most users don't know and don't care what is inside. Marketing says them it's a new and exceptional technology so it's obvious it has to be good.

AMD has a huge problem with premieres. Pretty much all their new products had delays and "early product issues". They also clearly don't trust their partners and for longer it works against them. They release all updates, AGESA, drivers etc. way too late but force partners to deliver fully functional products on time. It simply never happens, what we could see just after Ryzen premiere and next after APU premiere. BIOS for Ryzen had a lot of updates and fixes. Many things were not working like they should or were not working like promissed. Memory support improvements were in nearly every AGESA. Do we really need over a year to get promissed functionality ?
Users who dislike Intel still have more reasons to trust Intel than AMD. We only hope that AMD start to release more good products, not only something that is good on paper and feeds the press.
AMD releases 16 core Ryzen, great, price will be lower than 8 core Intel (maybe), also great ... but who will use it or how many users will actually buy it ? We can say that TR is a huge success ... number of sold processors says otherwise. Till now most cooler manufacturers have no TR coolers in their offer. Not much better with available motherboards. In total are 15 or something ? ... most not available worldwide.
There are other promisses like full bandwidth on 64 PCIe lanes... I only wait till someone tests that and we can start a new topic why it doesn't work :)

Intel continues to try to counter AMD's every move. It looks like they're chasing AMD and trying to keep up. Whether or not that's true at the technology level, they are giving that impression, and it has the overall effect of making AMD the leader when Intel is constantly trying to "me too". At the consumer retail level Intel doesn't have a technology problem, they have a PR problem and a marketing problem, both brought on by their own tactics and actions.

Their fans aren't even sympathetic at the moment. The $1 billion+ fine for shady behavior in the EU was only a year ago, and that was after they got slapped down for the same thing here a few years before. They show signs of being unteachable, unsure, and unwilling or unable to adapt to what should have been a minor change in the landscape. They won't collapse, they'll sell enough product to retain their position as the 800 lb. gorilla in the room, but right now that gorilla doesn't seem able to tell his butt from his elbow. But at least it's fun to watch. :clap:

Back