• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel CPU for a new build...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sp|inter

Hey all, sorry that this post is another one of those "help me with my new build"... This is kind of my first post on these forums and my first serious build! :bday:

So yeh, ive got a budget of about $1400 AUS (i'll go over it a bit if i think its justified), and basically i'm fairly happy with the components thinking of so far, im just wondering about CPU.

I was considering going a higher end dual core, but i figure I'll be doing a fair bit of multi tasking and highish end gaming so im starting to lean towards a quad? also im banking on more apps coming out that will utilize a quad...

I've looked around in my area (my under 18, so where i live there isn't much option for buying with credit cards off the net) and I've been tossing up between a Intel Q6600 or a Intel 9450. I'm also leaning towards the 9450 because it seems to be reasonably priced at $280 dollars (best i could find in my area). Is this a good move?

Figure i should throw in a few other major pieces I'm considering:
ATI 4850 (one for now, cross fire later)
4 GB DDR2 800mhz RAM (should i be looking higher? i think i should but this stuff is well priced and reasonably low latency, will probably go 8GB when i get a different OS)
tossing up within the ASUS range of mobo's..
coolermaster centurion 5 case
Seagate 7200 500GB SATA2
460 W PSU, (will upgrade but comes with the case in a nice little bundle)

So yeh! any help with the CPU would be great! (or component recommendations if you like)

I just ordered a Intel E8600 last night, shipped today. I'm so psyched! I've read hundereds of threads about this new processor and it looks sweet. Definately look into it, and if you'd like something cheaper, the E8500 is like $200 US now. Not sure what it'd be for you, but somewhere close I hope. Read the dual core vs quad core threads too. I wanted a Q9450 at first as well, then saw a lot of info bout the dual cores and realized I wouldn't ever REALLY use the quad core to its potential, plus i want 5GHz!

I agree with Sean. I bought my E8400 back in February and I absolutely love it. For high end gaming, a dual core is a better overall choice right now because it will give you a higher clock speed - and that yields better performance in a majority of games than additional cores will. Plus, multi-tasking doesn't even challenge a dual core unless you're doing things like running two or three high end games simulatenously, or encoding video while you game, etc. Having a million apps / windows open, with most of them just sitting idly, doesn't put any kind of load on a CPU.

I agree with Sean. I bought my E8400 back in February and I absolutely love it. For high end gaming, a dual core is a better overall choice right now because it will give you a higher clock speed - and that yields better performance in a majority of games than additional cores will. Plus, multi-tasking doesn't even challenge a dual core unless you're doing things like running two or three high end games simulatenously, or encoding video while you game, etc. Having a million apps / windows open, with most of them just sitting idly, doesn't put any kind of load on a CPU.
I second that it's the truth.:attn::clap::thup:

hmm, ok thanks alot :rolleyes:
i'll look more closely into the E8500 or roundabout there!

hmm, ok thanks alot :rolleyes:
i'll look more closely into the E8500 or roundabout there!

If you have the money to blow get the Q9 don't get the Q6.

Here are some links http://www.custompc.co.uk/reviews/180216/intel-core-2-duo-e8400.html
QUOTE:
The E8400 also achieved a higher score than the Q6600 in the multitasking test, managing 1,168 compared to the latter's 890. This result may seem surprising, but it can be explained by the improved Penryn architecture of the E8400, and the fact that its two cores run at 3GHz by default, while the Q6600's four cores run at only 2.4GHz.

Bench test.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2duo-e8600_6.html

ya the Q9450 doesnt seem to be clocking much better than the old Q6600

but newer is better than older imo;) for many reasons

my next is an E8600

http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop...110030005018_BU10640P.shtml&order_id=!ORDERID!

Bottom Line Telecommunications still has 88 E8600s left in stock. Ordered mine very early this morning (like 2am) and it shipped by 1pm today. I already got a FedEx tracking number! The E8600 is about $100 more than the E8500, but with the results I've seen thus far it looks to be a decent expenditure. Plus it's cool to say you got something new and shiny!

Thanks loads for all your help! its definitely helped me make my choice... i think i will go with the Q9450, it comes out on top of the Q6600 by a reasonable margin in all the benchmarks ive seen.

just wondering, anychance on some advice on some of my other components?

-Sp|inter

Back