• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel P4 *Northwood* (question)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MystiqueSupra

Since day one I've been an AMD fan.....
I am attempting to built an Intel machine.... and I am confused what an NORTHWOOD intel processor is?

can anyone give me some details on what I dont know?

MystiqueSupra said:
Since day one I've been an AMD fan.....
I am attempting to built an Intel machine.... and I am confused what an NORTHWOOD intel processor is?

can anyone give me some details on what I dont know?

It's just a codename for the 'newer' series of P4 chips, as opposed to the older "Willamette" series. Willamettes have been obsolete for some time now. As long as you get a chip that has 512Kb L2 it's a Northwood. Celerons are a different story though.

Northwood A- from 1.6 to 2.6Ghz 100 fsb
Northwood B- from 2.26 to 3.06 133 fsb
Northwood C- from 2.4 to 3.0 and up in next months 200 fsb

There are two P-4 cores, the Willamette and the Northwood. The Northwood is the newer and better one. Celerons were made using both Willamettes and Northwoods and both had castrated cache of 128k. All P-4 Northwoods have 512k cache, 1.5v or 1.525v default, and 0.13 micron cores. P-4 Willamette have 256k cache, 1.75v default, and 0.18 micron cores. The 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, 1.7, 1.8, and 2.0 are Willamettes and the 1.6A, 1.8A, 2.0A, and all faster CPUs are Northwoods. Northwood Celerons were 2.0 and faster.

Back