• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Pentium G3258 (20th Anniversary Edition) Owner's thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
kinda proves my point, in all but two gaming tests all are within what could be called the margin of testing/benching with around 1fps difference. while the other two gaming tests showed at max what 8fps gain. though the question not answered in that article is the FPS listed min max or avg? i might be the only one but i like to base my gaming choices for hw based on MIN. max/avg fps doesnt mean anything when/if your fps drops below something that is play-able. Though that is another matter, the use of max fps to show a gain can go either way for the argument for better/faster ram.

Even in the other tests the cost for faster ram doesnt justify the performance gain all be it a small one looking at those tests. when you further consider that when not using a IGP for the tests and going with a GPU say like a GTX760. where your ram speed doesnt effect it, since it has onboard ram vs the testing where the IGP uses system ram. other then super pi 1m gaming, i cant see suggesting higher speed ram then DDR3-1600 for nearly 90% of builds. As the money saved from the ram could possible allow for better GPU for instance or being able to get that bigger ssd or better psu.

in the end we still have the same arguments about higher speed ram. Along time ago when Dothan first hit the scene. My thought process for getting the most out of my setup, Asus P4P800-SE, PM 720 oc'd to 2.4ghz,DDR-400 (lost track of the timings.). someone asked me to run a bench, one i had never heard of before and forget its name. He told me after reading/seeing countless benches of this program mine was the fastest. I'm not sure how that was possible given no SSD's back then. I ran the tightest timings on ram i could using a 1:1 ratio and what people then would have said was a mild oc for Dothan setup.

End the end when it comes to ram speed, if you have the money in your budget for higher speed go for it. Other wise their is the plateau after a certain speed, imo that is DDR3-1600.

The sweetspot is in the 1600 to 2133Mhz range. Sometimes pricing there is remarkably similar, depending on many factors of course. One of which is speed vs CAS latency. For example... with 2x4GB sticks...

1600 CL8 ($96) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cription=1600Mhz DDR3&Order=PRICE&Pagesize=20

1866 CL9 ($92) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=1866Mhz DDR3&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

2133 CL11 ($94) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=2133Mhz DDR3&name=11&Order=PRICE&Pagesize=20

Those sticks are all, ballpark, the same 'speed' as the MHz goes up with the CAS yet are all the same price. However, if you try to match CAS the story changes.

My take is what Anand came up with...:
In the end, we have to recommend what kits our users should be looking for. Taking the DDR3-1333 C9 kit as a base, it seems a no-brainer to go for the DDR3-1600 C9 kit for $5 more. The boost across the board for a negligible difference in price is worth it. The jump up to the G.Skill 1866 C9 kit also provides enough of a measurable boost, although the leap in price from 1600 C9 is another $15, which could be harder to swallow.

As we move into the 2133 C9 kit we tested today, we again across our test bed see a tangible jump in performance. This jump is not as much as moving from 1333 to 1600, but it is there and users wanting peak performance will be happy with this kit, though the size of the user pockets will also have to match.

cant prove higher speed ram is better when testing in gaming is done IGP. no one spending that kind of money or even going for that fast of ram is going to be gaming on a IGP. there are holes with that article IMO. we will just have to agree to disagree, in a few ways on that one.

Actually those who are playing on AMD IGP are spending money on higher clocked memory. Also price difference between 1600 and 2400 or even 2600 isn't that high for 2x4GB modules just because new 4GB sticks are single sided and in most cases have similar chips inside regardless of programmed profiles.

On the other hand I don't think anyone is using IGP on i5/i7 K series CPUs. IGP is meant to be used for office work and multimedia , not for gaming. All that gaming on IGP talk is BS when it comes to high end PCs. The same as gaming laptops are a joke as most of them can barely run any new games on higher details and 1920x1080 ... or you pay like $2000+. Most laptops up to $1000 will have problems with games and most of them run on Intel HD graphics.

On haswell higher memory clock is almost always better ( unless you want to run 2133 CL13 ;) ). It's still best to balance higher clock with tighter timings to achieve faster response time.
Memory is scalling good almost only up to ~2666 as higher you have to use more relaxed timings to make all stable what lower general performance.
Right now I would even say that there is no fast memory above 2400 available on the market. All good ICs are discontinued. All new are designed for high capacity and higher clock but also relaxed timings like all new 2600/2666 kits are CL12 regardless of memory series.

Faster memory is giving couple of % higher performance. Even in games but it seems like it's helping more in physics calculations than graphics ( can check differences in 3DMark physics tests ).

Last edited:
I couldn't resist since G3258 were on stock in near store and I got one ... I'm not sure for what...
Anyway my chip is from Costa Rica what gives me some hopes as all CR CPUs that I had were much better than Malay.
Batch#: 3419B307

I will try to make some results in next 1-2 days. Also ASRock Z97M OCF is on the way and should arrive tomorrow.

I couldn't resist since G3258 were on stock in near store and I got one ... I'm not sure for what...
Anyway my chip is from Costa Rica what gives me some hopes as all CR CPUs that I had were much better than Malay.
Batch#: 3419B307

I will try to make some results in next 1-2 days. Also ASRock Z97M OCF is on the way and should arrive tomorrow.

do me a favor as a second point of reference, try both selections for multi control. by using the "all core" selection it will more then likely say its at what ever multi you set but then boot into the os at stock multi. by using the "per core" selection and setting your chosen multi it should then boot into the os at that multi. As it shouldnt matter which selection is made, it should boot all the way into the os at that multi. if this is the case then this is a bug/glitch with this cpu while overclocking. this is what it is looking like on the Z97M OCF board. the person on Xtremesystems.org using the Z97 OCF, may have used the "per core" but i have not heard from him.

as i cant speak for this cpu on other boards, i dont know if they have only one way for multi control. as in being able to control all cores at once or being able to control each core as options in the bios.

So far I've checked that on Z87M OCF both multi options are working fine.

x47 for both cores = x47 in Windows
X45 for one core and x47 for the other = both x45 , while one is loaded ( what will probably never happen ) then will be one at x45 and the other at x47

EIST and C stages turned off, as you see in XTU both cores are at different multis:

2c.jpg

When both cores are at the same clock then per core and all cores options are acting the same.

I'm also not sure why max non-turbo multi is x31 instead of x32. It doesn't really matter for OC but board sees it this way.

Tests were made on Z87M OCF and last official BIOS ( from last year ) so there is no need for any new or beta BIOS to make it run without issues.

As I mentioned in the other thread, my pentium is scalling in unusual way. Looks like everything between 4.6 and 4.8GHz needs the same voltage of 1.4V.
Cache ratio x40 in all tests. Memory - Avexir 1x4GB 2666 11-13-13 runned at XMP ( will make tests on more sticks other day, maybe on Z97M OCF ).

4.2GHz 1.20V

4200.jpg

4.5GHz 1.35V

4500.jpg

4.7GHz 1.40V

4700.jpg

Sspec: have to check later
Batch: 3419B307
Made in: Costa Rica
Vid: 1.09V
24/7 Overclock, voltage and cooling used: ( so far only 1h but seem stable, I doubt it will be running 24/7 ), 4.7GHz 1.40V, custom water
highest bench-able overclock, voltage and cooling used: 4.8GHz 1.40V , custom water

Last edited:
I had a chance to borrow one G3258 from work for weekend but so far results are worse than on my CPU.
For now it looks like this:
4.2GHz 1.25V
4.5GHz 1.40V

Also Costa Rica chip. Other info will post later.

Tbh I was counting on many more overclockers sharing results on these unlocked Pentiums.

I know I can check on hwbot ;) ... I meant that many people were interested about these unlocked pentiums on OCF and now barely anyone is showing any results.

OCN has a MONSTER thread (5.8K posts) with............ wait for it...... 11 results. Dont feel bad about here.

Not everyone jumps out of the gate as soon as the gun fires. :)

OCN has a MONSTER thread (5.8K posts) with............ wait for it...... 11 results. Dont feel bad about here.

Not everyone jumps out of the gate as soon as the gun fires. :)

I actually didn't want to buy it and I have no idea why I did as I don't really need this CPU :p Price was low and I like to play with new things ... I guess ...

Back to G3258. Second Pentium has exactly the same stepping etc but is overclocking much worse ( now I have to test them again as I have no idea which one was mine and both have the same markings ).

2nd chip looks like this:

Sspec: SR1V0
24/7 Overclock, voltage and cooling used: 4.5GHz 1.40V, custom water
highest bench-able overclock, voltage and cooling used: 4.5GHz 1.40V , custom water ... also 4.2GHz 1.25V, 4.7 had problems to boot up to 1.5V

I actually didn't want to buy it and I have no idea why I did as I don't really need this CPU :p Price was low and I like to play with new things ... I guess ...

i'm the same way, don't worry lol. i wish these were out before the 4790k so i could have at least used the g3258 instead of the $50 celeron i bought just to get my new rig up and running.

if i get up early enough i will go get one of these chips and start overclocking once i get my loop back together. i'm using a bucket of water (and ice when gaming) to cool my gpu currently :)

Back to G3258. Second Pentium has exactly the same stepping etc but is overclocking much worse ( now I have to test them again as I have no idea which one was mine and both have the same markings ).

2nd chip looks like this:

Sspec: SR1V0
24/7 Overclock, voltage and cooling used: 4.5GHz 1.40V, custom water
highest bench-able overclock, voltage and cooling used: 4.5GHz 1.40V , custom water ... also 4.2GHz 1.25V, 4.7 had problems to boot up to 1.5V

The second chip seems similar to mine... Which was briefly tested at 44x with ~1.345v. I'm guessing mine would do 45x with ~1.40v(+) to ~ 1.43v(+).

I bet that with the small size of the chip/die and the low bin for the Pentium that there will plenty of poorer performing chips out there. You have to get lucky with finding a strong one... Perhaps from the center of the wafer?

The strongest sample that I've seen posted so far is 49x Cinebench at ~ 1.35v.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1490324/the-intel-devils-canyon-owners-club/4890#post_22518875

just picked up the cpu, batch# 3418C008 made in costa rica. hopefully have some results today or tomorrow.

I've done some super pi runs running water cooling using a tap to cool the cpu block. Highest so far has been 4.8ghz @ 1.490vcore.

What's the highest for these chips for a quick bench?

up in air really, seems like these might be failed higher end K cpus. as in some kind of defect in other cores or cache.

Meant to ask what's the higher vcore, I'm up to 1.52v trying to get 4.9ghz

I have my cpu voltage at 1.94v.

cpu voltage in or actual cpu voltage at 1.94? the cpu voltage in, im not sure what the upper limit would be for the cpu/board before something bad happens.

cpu voltage in or actual cpu voltage at 1.94? the cpu voltage in, im not sure what the upper limit would be for the cpu/board before something bad happens.

1.94 cpu voltage
1.55 vcore.

The 2 cores also have 10c difference at times, I will likely delid it at some point.

Back