• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel rev!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drivingdroids

Registered
Hello fellow Overclockers!

for my new build i have decided to go for Intel cpu and im wondering which is better

Intel Core i7 3930K - 3.2 GHz - 6 core

Intel Core i7-3930K 3,2GHZ/12M S2011( cant figure if its quad or six cores)
heres link to were i probs buy: https://www.amentio.no/amentio/default.asp?page=vare&ProdusentID=BX80619I73930K (norway) this one has 8 GT/s

im not even sure if theres any difference at all.

if u guys know of any other CPU's that are better at around same price suggestions apriciated ;D

and what motherboard would be the best for this cpu im going for nvidia 680 or 690.

thanks! and sorry for stupid questions ;D

Those are the same processors. They are both 6 cores.

My question is why a hex? Do you use applications that can utilize that many cores?

Last edited:
Those are the same processors. They are both 6 cores.

My question is why a hex? Do you use applications that can utilize that many cores?

Im sorry what is hex? and i will be using it for gaming like bf3 and open world games aswell as video editing.

but im open for suggestions.

Hex = 6.

Meaning why do you need a 6 core CPU? Does the application you do your video editing with use more than 4 cores (check with MFG)?

Im just thinking you can save an arseload of money going Z77 board and 3770k CPU vs X79 and 3930k.

As was said above. You really wouldn't need a hex core. Games just don't benefit from it and you can edit video just fine on a quad core like a 2700k or a 3770k. I edited 1080i video on an older i7 920 no problem. Especially with some gpu acceleration.
Grab a quad core and take your partner out for a really nice night with what's left over from what you would have spent :)

Thanks alot both of you and good idea Benen.

Any recommendations of 4 core CPU's i want top of the line.

Thanks

is the 3770k the best quad core cpu out there ? and is that the best motherboard? and ive heard the 3770k is getting hot so would i be able to overclock it with water cooling witouth it getting extremely hot?

sorrrrrrry for stuuuupid repeated question!

ok so i tought a litttle and the cpu and mobo sound sweet ;D thanks alot guys! the best forum ever!!!!! still one question which of the Z77 is best example: sabertooth asus, sniper, etc.

thanks

is the 3770k the best quad core cpu out there ? and is that the best motherboard? and ive heard the 3770k is getting hot so would i be able to overclock it with water cooling witouth it getting extremely hot?

sorrrrrrry for stuuuupid repeated question!

At the moment if you plan to OC on air/ water you will get similar performance from a 3770k and 2700k. ( you can use both in a z77 mobo, so that wont be an issue) because of the high temps you are looking at higher clocks on the 2700k which will make up for the 3-7% performance difference the two have while at the same frequency ( 3770k being the faster at the same freq)

this isnt saying get the 2700k over the 3770k, but either will serve you fine. Also the added bonus of the 3770k is PCIE3 compatibility. ( but tbh the performance diff between pcie 2/3 is literally about 1% atm) ive seen people flogging 2600/700k's for around £200 on ebay now ( whereas the 3770k is about £260 new). If you can save like £50 ( or $80 ) on a 2700K it will serve you just as well as a 3770k

At the moment if you plan to OC on air/ water you will get similar performance from a 3770k and 2700k. ( you can use both in a z77 mobo, so that wont be an issue) because of the high temps you are looking at higher clocks on the 2700k which will make up for the 3-7% performance difference the two have while at the same frequency ( 3770k being the faster at the same freq)

this isnt saying get the 2700k over the 3770k, but either will serve you fine. Also the added bonus of the 3770k is PCIE3 compatibility. ( but tbh the performance diff between pcie 2/3 is literally about 1% atm) ive seen people flogging 2600/700k's for around £200 on ebay now ( whereas the 3770k is about £260 new). If you can save like £50 ( or $80 ) on a 2700K it will serve you just as well as a 3770k

okay but which Z77 is ''best''

Boards with these CPUs really dont matter much. You will get teh same overclock from the most expensive board with a mid grade board. So I would pick one you want that:

1. Is priced right for you
2. Has the features you need/want
3. looks good for your build.

Do not make it harder than it needs to be. :)

Boards with these CPUs really dont matter much. You will get teh same overclock from the most expensive board with a mid grade board. So I would pick one you want that:

1. Is priced right for you
2. Has the features you need/want
3. looks good for your build.

Do not make it harder than it needs to be. :)

+1

it wont really make much difference at all. In terms of OCing its all done through the multi now which means the motherboard is not really that important. As ED said get one within you price range, lots of USB 3/ SATA 3 ports etc etc.

As ive said a few times now "enthusiast" motherboards are now a royal waste of money.

Back