• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Iriver HP120/140 review by me

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

germanjulian

So yesterday I got my new MP3 player... an Iriver HP140.

:bday:

http://www.iriver.com/product/info.asp?p_name=H140

The difference between the H or IHp or HP (dont ask I dont know why they have so many different names) 120 and 140 is that the 140 has 40Gb or storage and is all black where the 120 is 20Gb and has a bit of sliver in the look otherwise they are identical.

I also own ... with my girlfriend... a 2nd generation Ipod (20GB) and a creative Jukebox Zen usb2 20Gb.

I could have also bought a 3rd gen Ipod or a Rio Karma.

Anyway lets cut the long winded talk.... Most people know the Iriver HP120/HP140 and the Rio Karma are the best HD players on the market and the IPod is a little behind.

Firstly I was suprised when I put the HP140 next to my g/f 20Gb Ipod the size was the same but the HP140 was a bit thicker... when you read the specs by 1mm... the weight was the same (funny 20GB difference and same weight).

the Iriver comes with a kick as remote :) and you can control everything! with it.. options, select playlists, browse albums, listen to the radio etc.

The Iriver plays MPEG 1/2/2.5 Layer 3, Ogg Vorbis, WMA, ASF, WAV, FLAC.
the iriver can record music via optical line in, build in mic, or secondary mic with attaches to the remote... you can recode to mp3 or wav.

To transfer music to the player you plug it into your usb port... and voila it comes up as a new Hard drive in windows... all you do know is copy music (preferabbly in folder sorted by artists etc) into your Iriver.

To play music you scroll with the joystick or the remote around the folder selecting the folder you want to play (or song)... very quick very efficent and no ID3 tags!!! if you have all your music sorted with ID3 tags you can enable a DB on the player though and browse music by ID3 tags... ie. by artist, albums, genre etc.... I find that using folder is quicker though even though all my music is tagged correctly.

transfer speed was top... as fast as usb2 will go.

the navigation on the player takes a while to get used to but its not difficult and after 20 minutes or so and after reading the manul I found it just as easy as the Ipod's... unfortunatly the wheel on the Ipod is obviously better but hey I do not sroll a lot.. I select and album or playlist (m3u) and play it for 1 hour... so I dont need a scroll wheel... the joystick is fast too though.... no problems browsing my 200 folders...

oh since the mp3 player is plug and play and comes up as a hard drive you can copy any kind of file onto it... like movies.. then go to your friends listening to music and then copy the movies to your friends PC...

the player has optical in and out too.... ahh FM radio... what else.. loads of EQ settings... sound quality is exellent.. (better then Ipod as every mp3 player) and 16 hours battery life.

the player is cheaper then 2nd gen Ipods and just as expensive/cheap as 3rd gen Ipod.s

anyway feature wise, sound wise... wait its just better at everything then the Ipod... the only thing better on the Ipod is the look and the scroll wheel... everything else is worse :eh?: I did really hope the 3rd gen Ipod would be better.. but it did not happen... so I got an Iriver which I love... a true geeks toy...

the rio karma is also another great player but I was reading a forum and it seems if a rio karma goes kaputt and you RMA it dont expect it to be fixed within 2 months... I bought a rio karma but after reading that I cancelled my order rather quickly...

Back