• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Creative Sound Blaster X AE-5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nebulous

Dreadnought Class Senior
Yeah yeah, I know, onboard sound has evolved and is better yadda yadda. I always had a sound card in my rig as the onboard was always missing some sort of detail in the sound or the onboard just sounded like crap.

I wanted to get a little sound upgrade and jumped on a deal on flebay for the AE-5. Supposedly "Factory Refurbished". Physical condition was flawless so I plops it in and install fresh drivers and softwares from Creative's site.

Music & movies sounds are flawless. Not crazy about the Command proggy, but it works just fine. Start a game and once the game starts, the game sounds is mixed with a buzzing hiss. Depending on your location in the game maps, the buzzing & hissing gets louder or lowers. The racket goes crazy while firing weapons or driving vehicle. Does not matter what game it is, the buzzing and hissing is horrible.

I can play music either through Youtube, Winamp, CD's, MP3's on a USB drive, doesn't matter the format of the music, the AE-5 works wonderful with zero issues. Start a game and it'll go nuts with the buzzing & hissing sounds. I reinstalled the Sound Blaster Z back in and sounds are back to normal. Ya win some, ya lose some

Just contacted the seller for return & refund.

I remember onboard sound doing that, so you would get a nice sound card and voila. Once I started using sound cards for my pc sound stuffs, I've been hooked. I want my sound to be right on point and comfortable to my ears. This carries over to my vintage audio collection as well :)

Got the refund back into my pp account. Going to look around for another one or a real nice alternative.

One of the points for me was to use HDMI and enable all the extra sound channels , there by enabling pass through on a bunch of Dolby digital formats from the pc

I'm still using the built in DACs with my own mobo and other devices so I can't speak from experience. I have heard good things about (in no particular order, although Schiit has probably been around the longest): Schiit Modi+, JDS Atom, iFi Zen

Funny how in many searches for another one at a discount, sometimes the white one is cheaper than it's black counterpart. Then in other searches it's the other way around.

*Update*

So I got from amazon a Renewed From Creative AE-5 Plus (White version). Retail box not too beat up, included a new set of Led's and all the paperwork that comes in a retail package.
The card itself is brand new, with all the stickers intact, never opened. I also check the mounting bracket screw hole and not 1 single blemish. Yayy! :clap:

Tested and no, no noise! :nono:

Back