• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is A 26" HD TV Good For Gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

I am after a quick answer really is a 26in HDTV good for gaming see I have an XBOX 360 and would mind upgrading from a standard 28" TV to a 26" HDTV. I will loose 2" but the picture quality will be better as it supports 1080i and I am living in a really small room and my PC and stuff is taken enough space as it is.

you said it supports 1080i...But does it take a 1080i input, and down convert it to 720p? because alot of tv's will do that, even some of the larger ones.

But even if it only outputs in 720p, if it looks better than your TV, you will be happier.

i'm using one of my 20" wide screen monitors for my 360, and even though it can't go to 1080p, its looks 100x better than my 27" TV.

as shard said, as long as you arn't going to try to sit 20 feet away from this 26" tv, you will be perfectly fine.

I am after a quick answer really is a 26in HDTV good for gaming see I have an XBOX 360 and would mind upgrading from a standard 28" TV to a 26" HDTV. I will loose 2" but the picture quality will be better as it supports 1080i and I am living in a really small room and my PC and stuff is taken enough space as it is.

Something else to keep in mind is the size ratio of your current TV to the new one.

I'm assuming your standard 28" TV is just a run of the mill CRT TV with a 4:3 ratio. The 26" HDTV will be 16:9 and will look much smaller.

With a 28" 4:3:

* Your viewing area is 22.4 in(w) x 16.8 in(h)
* Total viewing area is 376.32 sq in.

With a 26" 16:9:

* Your viewing area is 17.0 in(w) x 12.7 in(h)
* Total viewing area is 215.9 sq in.
* This is the equivalent of a 21.2 inch 4:3 TV

Here's a picture of it the one I have ordered I thought what the heck ya know I'll be about 20in from it and here are its features.

High Definition Ready.

26in (66cm) widescreen TV with 66cm visible screen size.
Resolution 1366 x 768 pixels.
Brightness 500 cd/m2.
Contrast 800:1.
Viewing angle 160/150 degrees.
Progressive scan.
1 HDMI socket.
2 SCART sockets.
Component video socket.
Composite.
Headphone socket.
AV socket.
Back DC socket

Last edited:
That is not a true 1080i TV, that is a 720ishP tv..... 720P is good for 360 and PS3 games, so it'll be okay and fine for most games....... IMO save up some more money and buy a larger 1080p TV, even if it is a refurb......

Forget 26 inches. I think my friend has that. He's got a 26 inch and I've got a 32" it's the difference between a flashlight and THE SUN.

Just get a 32". Doesn't matter how small your place is. The screen is FLAT.

...hang it on the wall.

don't forget that tube TV's size is measured by the tube itself, where some of it is blocked by the cabinet...so a 26" tube TV actually isn't 26" viewable, where on an LCD 26" is 26" viewable. But I agree with rainless, wait a bit and go for something in the 30's that way you can have it as a living room TV even if you move to a bigger place, 32" is a good enough for almost any size room.

I had a 27" Viewsonic 720P before this TV and it was awesome. I went from a 24" CRT standard def CRT TV to the Viewsonic, and it was a huge jump. Going from the Viewsonic to this Samsung 1080P wasn't nearly as big of a jump as I sit about 6 to 10 feet away from it now as opposed to 2 to 3 feet away from the 27". Others are saying going from a 26" to a 32" is a huge jump. It is, but only if you're used to a 32" TV. That is to say, a 26" only looks small when going down from a larger TV. I say get the best you can afford/willing to spend. 480i to 720P is a huge jump in resolution and color depth. 720p to 1080p isn't as much of a jump, not IMO at least. But, I'm not much of a videophile though either.

can you not get decent 1080 40" tv's for like a thousand bucks these days?

I'm planning on getting a 42~46" 1080P TV around christmas along with a 360 elite system. I'm sure it will be a grand step up in quality over my 36" 1992 Sony Trinitron X_x

yup. that's one we're considering. That or the 40" samsung. My dad's mom just bought one that me and the old man hooked up at her house. Looks REALLY good. Depends on where we put our TV which is our main dilemma.

Here's our living room.

IMG_8582.jpg

We're thinking about putting it on the mantle where the big mirror is right now and hoping it doesn't fall off. The mantle is really sturdy and has just a hair under 10" of width for the stand. Problem with that is that we'd have to re-adjust the chair and couch and my wife's not sure if she wants to do that. I woldn't care but she's you know... a woman about those kinds of things.

The center piece in our armoire which has the TV right now won't come out. I've tried. I'd have to take a saw to it and my wife would kill me if I did that.

Only other option is to buy a whole new entertainment center which wouldn't be some walmart thing... it would have to be something like this.

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=994&f=24784

Now you know why the ol trinitron has stuck around so long. :-/

I'm planning on getting a 42~46" 1080P TV around christmas along with a 360 elite system. I'm sure it will be a grand step up in quality over my 36" 1992 Sony Trinitron X_x

Go check out your local Costco, the membership is only $40 and I see Vizio 42" 1080p LCD Flat Panels for under $1000 all the time.

Go check out your local Costco, the membership is only $40 and I see Vizio 42" 1080p LCD Flat Panels for under $1000 all the time.

Oh, and get the nicest HD TV you can afford, if a 1080p set isn't within your budget right now don't sweat it, based on the size of the set and how far it looks like you sit from it, you won't notice the difference between 720p and 1080p. Aside from Blue-Ray and a scarce few HD-DVD's, there really isn't any 1080p content out there anyway. Most HD channels are still only broadcast in 1080i or 720p anyway, 1080p won't be standard for a few more years.

Here's our living room.

IMG_8582.jpg

We're thinking about putting it on the mantle where the big mirror is right now and hoping it doesn't fall off. The mantle is really sturdy and has just a hair under 10" of width for the stand. Problem with that is that we'd have to re-adjust the chair and couch and my wife's not sure if she wants to do that. I woldn't care but she's you know... a woman about those kinds of things.

The center piece in our armoire which has the TV right now won't come out. I've tried. I'd have to take a saw to it and my wife would kill me if I did that.

Only other option is to buy a whole new entertainment center which wouldn't be some walmart thing... it would have to be something like this.

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=994&f=24784

Now you know why the ol trinitron has stuck around so long. :-/

Forget the mantle, unless you plan on watching TV standing up, or have good medical for the future sore necks you will have.

Proper position for a TV sould be the top of the TV itself at eye level or slightly below from your seated viewing position. The bigger the TV, its understandable that you will want to go higher then that, but no more the half the height of the screen.

For that room, if you want to keep the furniture in place, ditch the armoire, wall mount a flat screen TV in its place, and either build something like this to fit below the TV and house your equipment (cable/sat box, DVD, game consoles, whatever), or look for something similiar to the finish of your corner stand similiar to a simple shelving unit to house your equipment.

blue jester, my dad has a 42" 780 Vizio he got from sam's club. looks really nice. It's definately an option also. Our costco has it's grand opening in a month or so.

Mpegger, that's the one reason I'm not wanting the TV on the mantle. The other guitar player in our band has one mounted up high on his wall but has a swing out arm and pivot that the TV is mounted on but his couch and chairs are farther away from the TV so its not bad watching it up high at his place.

That DIY TV stand looks simple and easy but unfortunately, I'm not single or in college any more so that probably wouldn't fly.

Something like this is another option she's approved of.

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=994&f=10680

Back