• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is a 60" 4K HDTV Worth it for PC Gaming?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BeK

Registered
I'm thinking about picking up a 60" 4K HDTV strictly for PC gaming. Does anyone have any experience with 4K gaming on a PC and is it a noticeable difference between 1080p and 4K? I plan to sit about 6 feet away while gaming. Also would I have to run 2 GPU's in SLI to achieve a decent 4K gaming experience? Would it be beneficial at all to go with 4K with a TV of that size or should I just purchase another 1080p HDTV.
Even if I do purchase the 60" 4K and only go as high as 1440p resolution tops, would it be worth it? Would I actually notice a difference?
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

This is the 4K HDTV that I'm considering...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-6...lack/3793044.p?id=1219603239787&skuId=3793044

My current setup...

CASE:*NZXT*Phantom*PHAN-001WT*Red Steel / Plastic Enthusiast*ATX*Full Tower Computer Case
CPU: Intel i5 4690K*3.5GHz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
GPU: MSI*GTX 970*
MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5
MEMORY:*G.SKILL*Ripjaws*X Series*8GB DDR3
SSD:*Intel 535 240GB SATA III (OS/Programs)
SSD 2:*Intel 520*120GB SATA III (Games)
HDD 1:*Western Digital 2TB*7200 RPM (Media)
HDD 2:*Western Digital 1TB*7200 RPM (Games)
HDD 3:*Western Digital 500GB*7200 RPM (BackUp)
OPTICAL DRIVE:*SONY Black*Blu-ray Burner 12X
PSU:*Antec*High Current Gamer Series 900W
DISPLAY: Panasonic 50"*Plasma 1080p HDTV
NETWORK ADAPTER: TP-LINK Dual Band N900
FANS:*140MM*(x1),*120MM*(x3),*200MM*(x2)
KEYBOARD:*Logitech*G13 & Logitech Bluetooth*Illuminated*Keyboard K810
MOUSE: Razer Naga Epic Chroma
HEADSET: Logitech*G930

Attachments

• IMG_0923.JPG
    IMG_0923.JPG
    237 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0927.JPG
    IMG_0927.JPG
    314.9 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0936.JPG
    IMG_0936.JPG
    231 KB · Views: 86
TV's are always a pain in the butt to set up. They also seem to lack some fidelity that monitors have, even at 4k I'd be willing to bet.

that said, a 970 is simply not going to work for 4k. Even sli, 3.5gb of ram will cripple your system in 4k. 1440p is probably ok for most titles, but certainly not all of them. I also wouldnt spend 1300$ on a vizio. Thats on you though. At the distance you have, the 43" (at ~500$) may be more prudent anyway.

You could get a 4k monitor and a wall mount with an extendable arm. Thats what I do and I love. Pull the monitor out when you need it, push it back to clean up the look when its not in use. Just some food for thought.

One thing to remember about Hi-Def TVs. The closer you sit to them, the more you are actually taking advantage of what they have to offer.
When you shop for a TV, you get up really close and are blown away. But we still seem to get home, and revert to the old 6 to 10 foot from TV viewing distance, that we used with tube TVs.

I agree with bob4933's comment on the fidelity. Also the refresh rates on TVs tend to be lower than on Monitors.

TV's are always a pain in the butt to set up. They also seem to lack some fidelity that monitors have, even at 4k I'd be willing to bet.

that said, a 970 is simply not going to work for 4k. Even sli, 3.5gb of ram will cripple your system in 4k. 1440p is probably ok for most titles, but certainly not all of them. I also wouldnt spend 1300$ on a vizio. Thats on you though. At the distance you have, the 43" (at ~500$) may be more prudent anyway.

You could get a 4k monitor and a wall mount with an extendable arm. Thats what I do and I love. Pull the monitor out when you need it, push it back to clean up the look when its not in use. Just some food for thought.

Thank you for your feedback. I really love the screen real estate that HDTV's offer as a monitor is too small for my taste.
If I understand correctly it sounds like you are saying that I would be just fine with gaming at a 1440p resolution on a 4K HDTV, at least for most games.

- - - Updated - - -

One thing to remember about Hi-Def TVs. The closer you sit to them, the more you are actually taking advantage of what they have to offer.
When you shop for a TV, you get up really close and are blown away. But we still seem to get home, and revert to the old 6 to 10 foot from TV viewing distance, that we used with tube TVs.

I agree with bob4933's comment on the fidelity. Also the refresh rates on TVs tend to be lower than on Monitors.

That's very good advice concerning the viewing distance! Thank you.

not a tv I would think. I use a 1080p tv at times, for some things it's just fine for some games it's a no no.
if you use max graphics settings 1440 is about it for the 970, in GTA5 at 1440 I have to turn a thing or two back down to high or I suffer big frame rate drops, I have never run into the ram issue that i have seen.
also in the witcher three you might need to turn it down a notch or two due to the water effects, a friend of mine borrowed my rig while I was out of town and he told me of this so I can't say first hand.
he said that the water effects would flicker in and out and turning the graphics back in a place or two made it all smooth out and brought back the pretty without giving up anything noticable.

Back