• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is a GlobalWIN WBK38 CPU Cooler good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yakuza

For a Tbird 800 oc'ed as much as i can possibly get it? its half the price of a Millenium Glaciator do you think its worth it?

Well, the Glaciator is going to be a much better cooler than the WBK, and a bit quieter, too. You'll get a better overclock with a better cooler...

I guess the question is this: Is the better overclock worth the price to you?

I was gonna just pass on this but here goes.

Glaciator???

i'm kinda gettin tired of the hype. This cooler isn't for everyone and it is not the end all to hs. COMON THINK.

Sure it's gotten a good review and it might actually be as good as or better than the swiftech, but that still doesn't mean it is the best solution for EVERYONE.

1. the fan cannot be removed, (in my opinion this is HUGE).
2. It's extremely heavy, we don't really know what all the repercussions of this will be but it's definitely not to AMD's spec.
3. it's not available for everyone. NOT EVERYONE LIVES IN THE US.

there are probably more, i'm just too tired to think them up.

bottom line the original poster asked if the WBK was a good hs, answer is YES, it is a very good hs.

1. it's fan is removable, not only that, but the wbk has the most flexible fan attachment system allowing for various configurations to meet a variety of needs.
2. it's very light.
3. it's aluminum, one of the things that often seem overlooked is that copper requires more airflow to remove heat than aluminum does. bottom line, copper works better w/ higher speed fans, aluminum works better w/ lower speed fans.
4. the WBK's are easy to find. almost everyone carries them.

here's one the glaciator isn't in the field yet. It will most likely be real good because knowledgeable people have spent time making it and played with it. But ya never know, it may cause havoc in the general public.

Plat (Jun 10, 2001 12:51 a.m.):
I was gonna just pass on this but here goes.

Glaciator???

i'm kinda gettin tired of the hype. This cooler isn't for everyone and it is not the end all to hs. COMON THINK.

Sure it's gotten a good review and it might actually be as good as or better than the swiftech, but that still doesn't mean it is the best solution for EVERYONE.

1. the fan cannot be removed, (in my opinion this is HUGE).
2. It's extremely heavy, we don't really know what all the repercussions of this will be but it's definitely not to AMD's spec.
3. it's not available for everyone. NOT EVERYONE LIVES IN THE US.

there are probably more, i'm just too tired to think them up.

bottom line the original poster asked if the WBK was a good hs, answer is YES, it is a very good hs.

1. it's fan is removable, not only that, but the wbk has the most flexible fan attachment system allowing for various configurations to meet a variety of needs.
2. it's very light.
3. it's aluminum, one of the things that often seem overlooked is that copper requires more airflow to remove heat than aluminum does. bottom line, copper works better w/ higher speed fans, aluminum works better w/ lower speed fans.
4. the WBK's are easy to find. almost everyone carries them.

Hm...you do make a good argument here, however, it's a rather onesided argument.

First off, the Glaciator isn't really "available" to anybody yet. Once it is, it should be fairly easy to get a hold of. If you can't find a distributor in your country, you can always ask on the forum, there are several people willing to have the thing shipped to them and then ship it to you for the price of shipping.

Second, the fan *is* removeable (there is a post about it in this board...runner up in the name contest, so he got one of the first shipped...) apparently it's just kinda glued in or something like that. Even if it weren't, there is a reason that it is so integrated....less noise and more performance.

Third, the weight really only becomes an issue if you move it around...the clip applies much more pressure than the weight of the hsf. This is a valid concern if you move it, though, as it does use a clip.

Lastly, you point about copper needing more air flow to remove the heat is true...but that's because it moves more heat than aluminium. With similar air flows copper will remove more heat than aluminium (well, maybe about the same, don't know for sure) but copper's bar of diminishing returns for more airflow is much higher than aluminium's.

But, really, the only reason I brought the Glaciator up is because it was asked about. I'm not just randomly advertising this thing.

Thelemac

ya your probably right. i'm not raving at you in particular. I just get tired of these "review junkies" that just read a few reviews and think they have all the answers. often to questions that are unrelated. I'm sure that the glaciator is a good hsf. if i were building a new system it would be at the top of my list for consideration.

but there are other hs that are nearly as effective and offer different types of advantages.

an idea i'd like to try is where they take the centrifugal blower and blow it over the HS as your only fan (case fan or hs fan).

the glaciator doesn't really lend itself to this approach. the wbk, swiftech or the taisols would all work pretty well with this.

anyway, no more ranting or raving from me for at least 24 hrs. :)

Back