• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it alright to run case cooling fans straight from PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LA357SIG

Registered
I built a second desktop for my kids and the case didn't come with case fans. I bought 3 and hooked them up to the PSU via Molex plugs and I am assuming they are just running @ 100%. Should I get a fan controller to switch between high and low speed, or will they be fine as is?

Also, I have them all on exhaust. Only the PSU is an intake fan. Will that be an issue down the road?

The only reason for a fan controller is if the fans are high speed & loud. Then you could use the controller to reduce the noise.

Personally I like to have a slightly positive pressure in my case, which reduces dust from gathering in USB ports, around the dvd, etc. Front & side blow in, rear & top blow out.

The only reason for a fan controller is if the fans are high speed & loud. Then you could use the controller to reduce the noise.

+1, case fans are designed to run off 12V, hooking them directly to the PSU is fine. If you need a fan controller to keep them quiet, there's a wide selection to chose from. Also, if they're fans with the 3-pin to 4-pin Molex adapters, there may be extra 3-pin fan plugs directly on the motherboard for case fans, in which case fan speed would be controlled automatically.

Back