• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it my NIC, MS OS or something else? Computer Freezes for Internet Connection?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

My rig is below. The problem happens with 2 different routers and 2 different ISPs, so it's definitely my rig.

This is not a problem I can duplicate on my own, can't trigger.

Upon startup, could happen once a day, could happen 3x a day or week, when my computer is turned on, everything loads, ROG connect splash screen etc, right into Windows 7 desktop.

Then the system freezes. All I have control of is moving the Mouse in the X/Y. Can't even select anything, can't use the keyboard either.

What I see is the Windows OS blue circle over the icon for my internet connection (I connect with a cable, not wirelessly), spinning around. Sometimes it will connect, and if it doesn't, I have to turn off the computer from the tower on/off switch.

If I immediately boot into Windows Safe Mode with Networking capability, the system always connects to the internet.

What does this indicate?? I really have no knowledge of this area of hardware and software.

Any help, and suggestions in the right direction would be helpful.

This problem is intermittent, no obvious reason for the problem, also I have NOT installed any new software or hardware in the year before or since the problem happened.

This is QUITE frustrating.

Thanks in advance.

Safe mode is designed to load Windows with bare minimum of hardware drivers so if you have no problem connecting to the internet in Safe mode I would guess you have a buggy driver somewhere, not necessarily a NIC driver, that is conflicting with the NIC driver.

From Command Prompt with Admin Privileges, run this: sfc /scannow and also from command prompt: chkdsk /f /r and then reboot.

Also go into Device Manager and manually check for new drivers for all hardware devices.

I would also try unplugging all unnecessary USB devices and see if it fixes the problem.

Check the RAM sith Memtest86 for several passes.

Check the SMART drive info for all storage with Crystalkdiskinfo.

If none of the above helps, do a fresh clean install of Windows including deleting existing partitions.

Have you checked for malware with Malwarebytes?

Safe mode is designed to load Windows with bare minimum of hardware drivers so if you have no problem connecting to the internet in Safe mode I would guess you have a buggy driver somewhere, not necessarily a NIC driver, that is conflicting with the NIC driver.

From Command Prompt with Admin Privileges, run this: sfc /scannow and also from command prompt: chkdsk /f /r and then reboot.

Also go into Device Manager and manually check for new drivers for all hardware devices.

I would also try unplugging all unnecessary USB devices and see if it fixes the problem.

If none of the above helps, do a fresh clean install of Windows including deleting existing partitions.

Thanks for the reply. I thought for sure it would be NIC related.

I have done the following so far:

1. Both Command prompt "commands" you provided, yielded no errors.

2. Device Manager reveals no errors on any line listed in the manager - According to my OS, there are no new drivers (I find that hard to believe)

3. I didn't have any USB devices plugged in except the mouse and keyboard

4. I'll check the RAM, I hadn't considered the RAM would be an issue as the computer connects just fine in safe mode.

5. I checked the SMART drive info and didn't see anything revealing, but I will look again. What should I be looking for specifically?

6. I have no partitions just an FYI

7. I have Malewarebytes running live in the background, as I do with KAV too. I ran full, deep scans with both systems and came up with nothing.

8. I ran CC Cleaner too just to tidy things up, and only a few things came up that needed to be removed, they were minor and not related.

I'll report back here when I hear back from you on #5, and anything else you may know.

In the meantime I will test my system.

- - - Updated - - -

On a different note, how do you like the ITX form factor? On my next build I was thinking of going smaller, and MAYBE liquid cooled, but at least smaller if possible. Any thoughts on your build vs my form factor mobo?

Last edited:
If Crystaldiskinfo shows "blue" color and no musical jingle then no issues were found.

What do you mean you have no partitions? Windows makes several different partitions on any drive during the installation. What I am saying is that if you do a new install of Windows you should tell the installer to delete the existing partitions in case they are corrupt.

Thanks for the reply. I thought for sure it would be NIC related.

I have done the following so far:

1. Both Command prompt "commands" you provided, yielded no errors.

2. Device Manager reveals no errors on any line listed in the manager - According to my OS, there are no new drivers (I find that hard to believe)

3. I didn't have any USB devices plugged in except the mouse and keyboard

4. I'll check the RAM, I hadn't considered the RAM would be an issue as the computer connects just fine in safe mode.

5. I checked the SMART drive info and didn't see anything revealing, but I will look again. What should I be looking for specifically?

6. I have no partitions just an FYI

7. I have Malewarebytes running live in the background, as I do with KAV too. I ran full, deep scans with both systems and came up with nothing.

8. I ran CC Cleaner too just to tidy things up, and only a few things came up that needed to be removed, they were minor and not related.

I'll report back here when I hear back from you on #5, and anything else you may know.

In the meantime I will test my system.

- - - Updated - - -

On a different note, how do you like the ITX form factor? On my next build I was thinking of going smaller, and MAYBE liquid cooled, but at least smaller if possible. Any thoughts on your build vs my form factor mobo?

Check the manufacturer for updated drivers, not MS.

If Crystaldiskinfo shows "blue" color and no musical jingle then no issues were found.

What do you mean you have no partitions? Windows makes several different partitions on any drive during the installation. What I am saying is that if you do a new install of Windows you should tell the installer to delete the existing partitions in case they are corrupt.

By partitions, I mean my C drive is just that, a single volume when I open My Computer. It's not divided up into other drives (i.e. C drive, D drive etc). What did you mean? I may be misunderstanding you.:confused:

Windows installs hidden partitions that don't show in Windows but would show during a reinstall from media.

Windows installs hidden partitions that don't show in Windows but would show during a reinstall from media.

I understand now.

CrystalDiskInfo reported back 100% Good in blue in the Health Status box.

Check for a rootkit virus outside of Windows. Bitdefender offers a boot time scanner that runs from a CD and is free. Download the image and burn it to an optical disk. Make sure you are connected by wire to the internet. It needs to download definitions when it first starts.

Trents or anyone else that reads this.

I finally ran MEMTEST86+, I ran for over 48 hours, 14 passes...Not a single error.

Aside from reinstalling windows from new, what would you suggest, anyone else may chime in as well.

I have noticed something else that I'm not sure if it's related or not, but seems to coincide the networking problem...I could be wrong.

SOMETIMES, when I start my computer, it stops abruptly, and restarts itself on average 3 times.

There's not even a flash screen.

It starts, then there's a slight electrical noise, and it stops. Restarts itself, and does the same thing 1 or 2 times. On the 2nd or 3rd try it finally goes into Windows.

This is relatively new in that it started it last winter, but is not nearly as frequent as the network connection issue mentioned above.

This re-starting issue is never something I can replicate.

This does not sound good! Sounds like you could have either a motherboard or a PSU going out. But it might be something simple like a flakey power button. Disconnect the power button lead from the front panel pin block and use a screw driver tip to bridge those two pins when you start it up. Having the side panel off might also help you spot the location of any sparks or electrical smells that are being produced.

I have noticed something else that I'm not sure if it's related or not, but seems to coincide the networking problem...I could be wrong.

SOMETIMES, when I start my computer, it stops abruptly, and restarts itself on average 3 times.

It starts, then there's a slight electrical noise, and it stops. Restarts itself, and does the same thing 1 or 2 times. On the 2nd or 3rd try it finally goes into Windows.

This is relatively new in that it started it last winter, but is not nearly as frequent as the network connection issue mentioned above.

This re-starting issue is never something I can replicate.
What does the event viewer say about that?
Problems scream board to me.

This does not sound good! Sounds like you could have either a motherboard or a PSU going out. But it might be something simple like a flakey power button. Disconnect the power button lead from the front panel pin block and use a screw driver tip to bridge those two pins when you start it up. Having the side panel off might also help you spot the location of any sparks or electrical smells that are being produced.

I agree, the restarting makes me worried more than the ISP. I too, thought board or PSU. I haven't had any sparks that I'm aware of, but that doesn't mean much when you have a case you can't see into. Thanks for the tip.

Is there a way to test the PSU?

What does the event viewer say about that?
Problems scream board to me.

I agree, I too think it's mobo related. It seems like too much of a catastrophic failure to be something else, BUT, I'm not an expert in troubleshooting. I've been fairly lucky in my last 2 builds, no issues, except this one failed starting.

I have the Event Viewer open...

WHERE in it should I look? There are numerous places one can look. Event Viewer.JPG

Look under Hardware Events. That's where I'd start. Of course, unless you are already into Windows it can't record anything.

Look under Hardware Events. That's where I'd start. Of course, unless you are already into Windows it can't record anything.

Thanks!

The restarting error happens BEFORE I'm into Windows, in fact, before the ASUS Splash screen itself, if that helps.

The ISP connection error happens when already in Windows.

Is there a way to download my entire Event Viewer's log?

I had a similar occurrence within the last year, with my sig rig. Replacing the PSU remedied the situation.

I checked the hardware events section, and its empty.

That is a power problem.

This could be a power issue also.

Board. ;)

Scott.... I'm not suggesting you are wrong..just seeking more clarity. Assuming it's not software (big assumption hah), how does one know the RESTART problem is a PSU issue and not a hardware mobo issue?

As far as the ISP being a PSU, how so?

They only reasons I'm less inclined to think the PSU is lessl likely related to ISP connectivity is usually when my computer starts up and I cannot access my ISP (freezes my entire computer too-weird), is usually (9 out of 10) when I restart in safe mode the system goes right into windows and connects to my ISP w/no issues.

- - - Updated - - -

I had a similar occurrence within the last year, with my sig rig. Replacing the PSU remedied the situation.

What led you to replace the PSU as opposed to checking to see if it was software related? Rather, how did you isolate it was PSU related?

Back