• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is My HDD Dead?? Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UndyingClocker

Disabled
Hey guys well i think my Samsung HDD is just about to die on me today. I came home last night and i heard some ticking or knocking inside of my case. Well after searching around i found that it is my HDD that is ticking. It never used to make this noise so im pretty sure its just about to die on me. I just came to ask for some opinions on what to do next. I just formatted to see if it would fix anything but it doesnt seem to work. The HDD ticks alot when im transfering big files i guess or when i tried to disk defreg.

I would do a backup of anything important right away and start the RMA process. HDD manufacturers usually have tools to diagnose problems and tell if the drive is dying, so run that.

they do the diag. all.. or all should check and run diag on stuff thats being shiped to them.. like hdds.

What????? I have no idea what u just said. I know their is a program diag. for samsumg but like i said before it doesnt seem to be on their site anymore.

I got it in a computer i bought but that computer has been taken apart and put into other systems. It was from a company like Dell...but its a canadian based company.

Ok i have a big problem in my hands rite now. I bought a machine at a local computer store...and it contained this 160 gig hard drive..well i decided i would be overclocking so i got a new mobo and alot of other stuff. I also got a new computer case. The problem is on Samsungs website their is only support for US residents...look for yourself.

http://www.fesvc.com/

1. So their is no possible way to rma this thing?

2. Will the computer store i bought the hard drive at replace just the hard drive?? I doubt they will...

3. What else can i do here im totally screwed and i am in need of some good help.

Last edited:
its a computer store...they sell alot of computers to canadian costumers..how do i prove to them its their hard drive?? do i just bring the hard drive in my hand and bring it back to them?? what if they say i voided the warrenty because i took apart the system they sold to me and built it into another case with other parts??

Call them up and see what they say. IDK enough to tell you much else. Do they have a website or something???

I'd say if they will not help you, try sending it to Samsung and see what they say.

UndyingClocker said:
its a computer store...they sell alot of computers to canadian costumers..how do i prove to them its their hard drive?? do i just bring the hard drive in my hand and bring it back to them?? what if they say i voided the warrenty because i took apart the system they sold to me and built it into another case with other parts??
You won't know until you try. Just be honest with them and they'll prob let you return it.

You can either go through the computer shop, or through samsungs RMA directly. Either way, the hard drive is going to be sent to samsung I would assume.

But the shop might tell you they can't do anything about it until it actually fails. I have a 40GB Maxtor that I keep some of my backup, music, movies, and images on. I bought it used from the classifieds here. Ever since I got it, it has had the click. I had assumed that I was ripped off. But it has been clicking this whole time (almost a year now I think) and still hasn't failed. The click isn't that loud and it isn't annoying so I'm just going to keep depending on it until it decides enough is enough.

Back