• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my motherboard dead because of a USB connector?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zdvil

Registered
Sorry my post is so long... im honestly worried about what could be wrong :( any ideas are welcome...

Summary: (read below for alittle more detail)
-incorrect plugging of USB port connector into an IEEE 1394a connector
-use of said USB port results in external "spark"
-subsequently all USB ports fail and nothing is detected
-multiple reboots and toggling of bios/device manager does not help
-computer refuses to shutdown (even while holding down power button)
-flick the power switch on PSU to turn off system
-System will not boot up at all

-PSU is working
-Powerbutton is working
-Motherboard (P5k Deluxe) light is on

Questions:
-Is it possible my motherboard was fried by an incorrectly connected USB port??
-Is it possible that my CPU was fried by this??
-wtf?
-how do i make sure it really is my Motherboard that is dead (i dont have another lga775 cpu)

The USB port that I used was accidentally plugged into an IEEE1394a connector.
I swear i saw a spark on the _outside_ of the case...

I reboot my computer several times, toggled the USB bios options, used the device manager, and finally got windows to detect my external HDD (connected through a USB port)

Anything else using a USB port would not work (ie mouse/ keyboard)

The Bios was also asking to be reset to defaults.

On the last reboot, before logging into windows, I press and hold the power button to turn the computer off .... except now my computer wont turn off.
Instead.. it continually turns on and off even while im still holding down the power button.

Then I just flick the power supply switch off and now i think i've fried my motherboard.

Yeah it dosn't sound good!

Before we declare the situation at a loss though, lets try this. Turn off the computer, unplug the powersupply from the wall. Pull the battery out of the motherboard (It will be there somewhere, like a watch battery). Press the power button on and off a bunch of times. Leave the computer for 10 - 20 mins. Place the battery back in. Press the power button some more. Then plug it back into the wall and fire it up. See if that works.

the aim here is to completely drain the motherboard of electrical charge. Pressing the powerbutton a lot seems to assist in draining the capasitors on the mobo and in the PSU (at least from my expericance). Removing the battery will reset the cmos and further garrentie the mobo is free of power. By draining the system of power, we are trying to reset the system, should that spark you saw have confused the motherboard some what. This is really a last resort, and yes it is likally that the mobo has real damage. I have pluged in a usb port incorrectly (but into a usb input) and had that reset the computer upon the use of a device. It also killed a USB stick and 2 $500 steering wheels (which i got replaced on warrenty, thank goodness). But the motherboard was fine after i reconnected it correctly.

Give it a go, and report back here with the results.

GL! Also :welcome: to the forum, if you haven't been already.

hey thanks Hipcrostino,
I tried this and its still no good. Which is more likely? that the mobo is fired or the cpu? the mobo light is still working too.

hey thanks Hipcrostino,
I tried this and its still no good. Which is more likely? that the mobo is fired or the cpu? the mobo light is still working too.

Its very, very difficult to kill a CPU this way. Most likely the mobo is toast... :/

R.I.P.

:(

you could try starting the board with 1 stick in dimm 4 and see what happens, but the others pretty much covered everything..

try using one stick of memory as well as 1 hdd only and a super lower power video card and see if any symptoms dissappear

its not likely but worth a shot... worked for me once

Back