• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my PSU enough??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SupaMonkey

Yea, ok i'm sorry, it's another question like this. But, seeing as you are reading maybe you can help.

I know online psu calculators overpredict but this doesn't seem right. At the moment i am running a 300W supply with this setup and absolutely no problems.

Oc'd E8400
2 x ddr2 @ stock voltage (2.2)
ssd hard drive + 1 external through the usb
corsair h70
HD4870.

The asus psu calculator says i need 450W. I'm not having problems but i can't help but wonder if i am losing performance somewhere because i don't have enough juice. Any comments/suggestions?

Thanks.

The outervision PSU calculator takes into account a pretty wide range of circumstances like capacitor aging and 90-100% load.

I wouldn't be comfortable running that with a 300W PSU. But that's me.

If you can´t get any PSU asap you can try stock that 8400, is not going to have much difference but is to start.

I doubt you are losing performance anywhere, but you are definately stressing out that PSU. I would bet on load you are close to 275W or so...

Corsair 450CX would be a great fit for that system. Maybe 550VX to run any single GPU out there really. ;)

ok, thanks.

I would have thought i would have seen some signs of psu stress that's all. I haven't had any crashes etc.

Time to cough up 70 quid i guess.

Just to reinforce what the other posters on here have said: get a new, higher-powered PSU ASAP. A 300 watter is not powerful enough to run that system comfortably, even if it seems ok now. And that 4Ghz is a hell of an overclock, which will add a significant power drain. Take that out for now, straight away.

Tell me, what brand and model is it? If it's a cheap no-name one then I'm surprised it hasn't blown up yet - and I really do mean a bang and lots of smoke. I've had several cheapies go like that.

Look at my system and its PSU. My Corsair is well overpowered for the load I put on it, but it never bats an eye and runs really cool, quiet and reliably 24/7. Yeah, it's worth going for extra with a PSU. :D

If it's a quality 300w, with 300w or very close of 12v, then it will work, but it's pushing it.
A quality 400 or 450 (read: Corsair) is a better choice.

Ok,

I just installed my VX550 which was a pain in the *** because the motherboard power supply was under near my H70 radiator. It seems to be working fine.

The power supply i was using before (came with it, yes i'm a noob) was a Huntkey.

This is written on the side

12V1 11A; 12V2 8A; 3.3V 21A; 5V 15A; -12V 0.3A; 5VSB 2.5A

Which i make to be 131W, 96W, 69.3W, 75W. Or 371W (but it does actually say 300W on the side).

You are very, very, very lucky that old PSU didn't cause rather major issues.

Back