• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is PC gaming dying?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I prefer PC, if I can get the game on PC...

But to even the playing field the Steam sales alone do that. Consoles $60 a game 10 games $600...PC's on summer sale 10 $100. I rarely buy full price games on PC, do to the long backlog.

Do console games ever go on sale anymore?

and per my thread in console games, I am contemplating buying a PS4 pro just to play RD 2 and Uncharted 4...No practicality in gaming no matter how you play them...

I game on both.. all 3 frequently. Though the price comparison to full priced new released games to a sale on the pc games? Come on.... Yes console games have sales as well. Seeing more and more digital sales but they do have disc sales too.

Console = plug and play just go and enjoy.
PC = some tweaking involved to get desired or improved performance but it can be tweaked.

Really both have their strong points and weak points. I do enjoy them, and I am a gamer... addicted to gaming :)

Last edited:
The thing about the Xbox that I loath is the ads all over the place. Sony is better about it but I would either have to subscribe to play past games or own two or more of them to play everything.

My PC will play things like the original Fallout, Neverwinter Nights, Battletech, the sims, sim city, I can emulate just about every classic system under the sun and then turn around and video edit, make a song or create my own program. Plus it could be argued that the PC can slowly reimburse itself through cryptocurrency mining in idle hours.

The thing about the Xbox that I loath is the ads all over the place. Sony is better about it but I would either have to subscribe to play past games or own two or more of them to play everything.

My PC will play things like the original Fallout, Neverwinter Nights, Battletech, the sims, sim city, I can emulate just about every classic system under the sun and then turn around and video edit, make a song or create my own program. Plus it could be argued that the PC can slowly reimburse itself through cryptocurrency mining in idle hours.
Sadly the prime crypto days are over... got a good 8 months out of it but doing it now Im paying more in electric bill than I'd be getting out. Large setups are really the key to making money these days.

So far the only reason I ever had to play on a console was Halo and that's because M$ refuses to port 3-5 to PC. Seriously, what's up with that, you would think making an Anniversary Edition port for the 5 games would be a massive sales point [emoji24]

for me it's about having a sigle kick @$$ device that does everything. i like having all of my music and movies in a folder so i can just click when i switch over to my big screen. same goes for games. if its an fps where you have to use a mouse i do it at the desk. if it's an action game with a controller i switch over and go to the couch. sure you can do the music and movies on a cheaper pc with no dedicated video card i guess but i just enjoy having it all in one place. except for the fact i ended up with a ps4 so i could play bloodborne and god of war but you won't be able to emulate those until im too old to see the screen so no choice i guess. if they were on pc i would have gotten them on steam. sadly with prices headed in the wrong direction lately this may be the end of high end pc's for me. hopefully what i have lasts awhile.

But performance to price can't be beat! We talk about this every day several times a day. Think amd vs. Intel 'discussions'. I wouldn't call console just good enough. Besides, did you see the console case vs computer case? Its like hunk o'junk covered in fans and leds vs a neat looking book sized box. It's wonderful!

Let's look at that price argument of yours, shall we...

I can buy PC games for half the price, on average, of a console equivalent. As time goes by, that price gap only gets wider and wider. Up to the point of key sellers and Humble Bundles for as little as 1 EUR/$. With multiple games in it. The only games excluded from this are AAA shortly after and prior to launch. But who buys that on release, because you get bug infested, server downtime junk anyway. Pre-ordering was never a good idea anyway - not even on PC.

Backwards compatibility is another factor of price. Consoles lack it. In fact, you can expect to be paying once again for old games you want to play again on a new console. Oh yeah, 'they remastered it'... which is in fact just a lazy upscale. On PC, your 'upscale' is just a setting or a slider (!), you have near infinite backwards compatibility and your entire games library is available at any point in time, for as long as your machine is up and running. What's more, on PC I can even install an emulator like PCSX2 and enjoy legacy console content. All included/possible within that single PC purchase. The more (diverse) you play, the more it pays back.

Durability/reliability of service. Consoles die. Much faster than a PC. I've had to buy three PS2's because something died at some point. I have two PS3's and both have problems, one has a repaired BluRay lens but defective tray, the other has a crappy fan. That's already a strong PC's worth of hardware, just for a single console gen (keep in mind that backwards compatibility story). And let's not speak of RRODs, or damaged discs, or just servers taken offline either.

So: price argument = not really true - EVEN if you just consider it for gaming and not everything else. A PC isn't more expensive, and the more games you play, the cheaper it gets. And I dare say that replay value of a PC game - any PC game - is potentially much higher. Because you can tweak and mod content. You can replay it on a higher quality when you've upgraded. Etc. The only real price argument is that the cost of entry for a console is lower. That's great if you can't save money, but if you can, a console is the worst way to spend it.

As far as price is concerned, with GPU pricing through the roof it is obvious this question pops up, but consoles don't even dabble in the high end (expensive) range of GPUs so I don't see the point here. Any midrange GPU can surpass console (4K) quality and we all know that console 4K render is lossy, lousy and blurry. You're still looking at low res assets. Its a nice illusion they got going on, but put it next to native 1080p and you can see what's really happening. None of the new consoles truly does native 4K - fár from it. In fact most engines now even provide the 'console toolbox' which is stuff like dynamic resolution scaling through a simple slider. That is how the consoles do their 4K, too. Upscale low res or apply a TX(SS)AA pass and checkerboard rendering. That's that 'console magic' for you... PC games run efficiently regardless, that is why I can run mine at 120 fps locked while a console struggles keeping 30.

Second argument: control.
On a console, you have no control over anything. You can't repair things proper, you can't host your own game, you can't mod your content. If a publisher decides 'enough is enough' (look at every CoD to date and its servers, and you know what's what, hell BLOPS 4 ****storm with tickrates and MTX is ongoing as we speak) then you're just screwed. On a console, your control extends to being able to turn it on and off, and push buttons on your pad. Commerce rules you, and as a consumer, that is the worst position to take. Let alone take for granted.

In return for a lack of control (and a higher price, as we've seen above) you get something almost every content provider thrives on: ease of use, accessibility, plug and play. Its how Netflix and Spotify gained traction, and it works for a lot of people. But just like consoles, you don't 'own' anything. You're literally a plaything of the content provider and its shareholders. You're literally in the worst possible position in terms of consumer rights and options.

Third argument: looks.
Are you a PC enthusiast, because if you are you know that you can easily build a sweet low profile ITX system with a midrange GPU that will be more quiet and much faster than any console today. Or you go slightly bigger and add options you like. There is no ugly PC because you choose how it looks. If you choose a fat ATX build then yes, a console will fit under the TV better. But why would you?

So, TL: DR if you think a PC is worse than a console you really didn't think it through, or you're just too casual to worry about it. Neither is a problem, but lets call a spade a spade. If you think PC (gaming) is dying, get in line, thousands have come and gone before you and PC gaming is the only growth segment in a declining marketplace. And the lack of control over our content is something that will pop up in everyone's life at some point, and at that point, the promise of the PC is just around the corner. Similarly, if you are any sort of professional, you know why PC and its freedom matters. Content creation happens here. It will never die as the breeding ground of new content or the main tool to tweak it. PC is the only platform that doesn't need a stimulus to 'gain traction' like every other app store in the world. It is self managed, self inspiring, self motivated, mankind at its finest really. Look at mod communities for a great example of that. Its free, and its really, really nice, because people pour their heart and soul into it. None of that can ever happen on a walled garden console and I struggle to understand how people can think that is a better place to be gaming in.

Console gaming is like ordering fast food every day: yes its easy, but you get fat, your sense of taste gets lost and you can't handle much else because it takes you out of your comfort zone. And if you ever get in the kitchen, you don't know how to cook either.

Last edited:
:eek: I will definitely read it when no get home from work.might take a while, big post

Edit : couldn't help myself and read it anyways. You are correct thank you for.opening my eyes.
I am late for werk. Runninggggg

Last edited:
PC is still more available and there is hardware specially created for gaming, so even the newest games can run there. the other question is that mobiles now try to replace PCs.

My PC is my high definition HTPC and the gear I have will do that for years. I use it for all my web browsing, email, and 90% of my non food shopping. And now, about 5% of my food shopping. It's also a gorgeous (IMO) bit of aesthetic in my small living room-clean modern lines, adjustable lighting, the white brightens up the room and the clean interior pleases my desire to see things work. I game on it, and bought an expensive (for me) graphics card, but if I break it down I'll probably get 5 or more years at my resolution from my card. That's $100 a year towards gaming gear, but since the games I like are all free I don't spend any money there at all. WoW may be an upcoming exception to my "free rule" but you can't have that on a console, so call it even. My PC is also a music server at times, and it does NOT go through my TV speakers.

Nothing wrong with consoles. Some folks prefer them and some folks have no choice, but PC gaming isn't going anywhere until the PC itself goes away, and I bet custom, dedicated gaming gear of some sort will still be around. As long as there are people who can and will pay more for better than average anything someone will make it.

I like using my PC for more than just gaming, otherwise I would just have a console. I see gaming the same on PC vs Console it just cost more on console with season passes to play.

But with rtx graphics cards price, I don't see how it is affordable now to an average taco. :( I cant skip meals to save up because I'd be hungry and angry..

Remembering going to circuit city or comp USA for a 200 usd midrange card makes me depressed because those days are no more.

Food for thought, the new 2060 looks like a decent upgrade for us "low-ends", has roughly the same raw performance as a 1070ti. If you don't care about RTX for now that is ?

Taco, there are other cars out there besides rtx... last gen nvidia... amd cards... plenty to choose from at an appropriate price.

I agree, RTX is nice press but in the real world developers are just now only starting to use Ray Tracing.
BFV is the only title out that has it working and even the 2080Ti is taking a sever FPS hit when turned on

Real or what I call playable frame rates with all eye candy and Ray Tracing enabled is a generation away IMO

Point being the 10 series has a lot of life left in it and can be had for reasonable prices and TBH consuls are not even in the same conversation with 10 series cards ....

I agree, RTX is nice press but in the real world developers are just now only starting to use Ray Tracing.
BF V is the only title out that has it working and even the 2080Ti is taking a sever FPS hit when turned on
Fixed that for ya Witchy......do not disparage the name of the original FPS game, BFV "Battlefield Vietnam"! ;) can you tell I still have a soft spot in my heart for that game? :D

note:I know BFV wasn't the original.....I still feel it was one of the best

Back