• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is the OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W a good choice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

enforce

Registered
Hi, I am looking to purchase a PSU for my new i5-2500k+Radeon ASUS 6850 video coard build.
The recommended power on my video card is 500W, so I decided on a 600-650w PSU.

I've been using the CORSAIR HX-520W PSU for the pat 5 yrs, but I'm giving my comp to my dad. The HX-520 served me well - it is modular, reliable and quiet. I considered purchasing the Corsair HX-625W PSU, but it costs $115 CAD. I thought about the CORSAIR TX-650 which also got some good reviews, but being non-modular and reading some negative reviews from unhappy buyers about noise complaints made me hesitant, while a quiet PSU is of the outmost importance to me.

I noticed the OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W. It got good reviews as well and it is modular. Most importantly, it can be had for $60 CAD (after MIR), which is twice less than the CORSAIR HX-650.
It is hard for me to comprehend how two relaltively similar power supply can have such a big price difference?

Is the OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W any good? It has only 3 yrs of warranty vs. 7 yrs for HX-650, so obviously, the HX-650Whas better build quality. I know that CORSAIR together with Seasonic are considered the best, so is it a better idea to invest $60 into the CORSAIR HX-650, even tho being on a budget and possibly doing only minor overcloking.

Is the OCZ ModXStream Pro 700w, having probably chaper components and shorter warranty is still a smart choice for an average PC user and is a solid PSU?

Thanks for any replies.

The ModXtreme series is somewhere between ok and meh. It's not a terrible choice, but there is a reason it is cheap.
Plunk down the extra cash for a ZT Series OCZ unit, they're good.

Back