• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this R360 core for my 9800PRO?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

homer77

I just received my Sapphire 9800PRO 128MB from Newegg.

I am just wondering whether it is the R360 core?

This baby also comes with the hynix memory.

14-102-290-09.JPG

Your surest bet is to take off the heatsink and wipe off the thermal goo on the core and see it with your own eyes, it's impossible to tell from that picture.

hehe, ok.

i'll pull off the heatsinks tonite and see. if i pull off the heatsink will that invalidate the warranty? also, how reliable is atitool?

homer77 said:
hehe, ok.

i'll pull off the heatsinks tonite and see. if i pull off the heatsink will that invalidate the warranty? also, how reliable is atitool?

Warranty? What's that? ;) atitool is mostly reliable to tell you things like what type of core and bios you're using & temps if you have a built in temp monitor on your gpu... nothing is as good as seeing the core with your own eyes. :p

Quattro said:
Let us know.
You gonna OC it?

Ya, the first thing i get home tonite is pulling off the fan and check to see if it's R360 core (crosses fingers). then, gonna put this baby in the comp and see how high it'll go :p . i'll post the result later on tonite.

is heat gonna be a problem without vga silencer? i m holding back on getting one 'till the new version is out.

i just checked out the xt bios link here, so i am wondering which bios suits better for my sapphire 9800pro? does the manufacturer specific bios matter at all? also it doesn't have any 128mb xt bios, so would it be any problem using 256mb bios?

thanks

i just checked out the xt bios link here, so i am wondering which bios suits better for my sapphire 9800pro? does the manufacturer specific bios matter at all? also it doesn't have any 128mb xt bios, so would it be any problem using 256mb bios?

There are no 128 MEgabyte XT cards, and as such no BIOS for them. you;re best off overclocking your card for starters, doing some benching, and seeing how high it will go, and *then* flashing with an XT BIOS and seeing if it gives you any gains in benchmarks, and overclockability or not.

is heat gonna be a problem without vga silencer? i m holding back on getting one 'till the new version is out.

The stock heatsink gets to be pretty inadequate once you start cranking up your core speed, a VGA silencer on the lowest setting is only about the same, but is still a very good investment for the cost, and better cooling at the higher settings.

felinusz said:
There are no 128 MEgabyte XT cards, and as such no BIOS for them. you;re best off overclocking your card for starters, doing some benching, and seeing how high it will go, and *then* flashing with an XT BIOS and seeing if it gives you any gains in benchmarks, and overclockability or not.

Wrong again.... your information is quite dated. Sapphire has a 128mb xt and like I said before there are at least two bios that allow you to see the temps on your card if you have the right chips and pcb.... look at my link and if you see down in the bottom right corner you'll see my temp live and in color.... in that picture my flashed pro is chillin at 62° ;)

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=311829

sounds good.... maybe I should go on vacation.... hopefully when I got back people will be flashing 9800xts into x800xtpes.... :beer:

just pulled the heatsink off, and it is R360!!! :santa:

this is always a good start.

i'll post the results after dinner.

cheers!

Here are the results:

AMD XP2000+ @ 2310MHz (210fsbx11)

stock speed:
3d mark 2001 17153
3d mark 2003 5788

412/367 core/mem
3d mark 2001 17484
3d mark 2003 n/a (forgot to run)

432/378
3d mark 2001 17699*
3d mark 2003 6441**

* during the nature theme, where there are alot of leafs, the way leafs moves are not normal. it's hard to descript.
** i start to see alot of white spots flicking on the screen. are those artifacts? :eek:

i wasn't able to flash the bios last nite cuz i didn't have a floppy drive, and don't know how to make a bootable cd. any info on how to make a bootable cd would be appreciated. :D

i am new to oc video cards, in fact, this is my first time ;) , so i might ask alot of stupid questions. :-/

are those white spots caused by my video card overheating? cuz i don't see any when core/mem speeds are lower.

also what does it mean when you have lapped vga silencer?

would the stock heatsink be enough for now if i flashed to xt? i m still waiting for the new vga silencer. do i need ramsinks if i have vga silencer? and which is a good ramsink?

thats all the questions for now.

thanks!

lapped: means that I have sanded & smoothed out the bottom of the heatsink so it's so smooth and shiny, you could shave in it..... :)

I would not try to flash to xt without better than stock cooling.... the VGA Silencer is indeed a good investment.

Those white specs indocate that either your core overclocked too high or the gpu is getting too hot (or both).

I'll lower my core speed and run it again to see if i still have that problem.

Forgot to mention this, both AtiTool & RivaTuner has my chip as R350, but it actually stated R360 on the chip.

Back