• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this Worth upgrading to?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

b-17rocks

Registered
Hello i was Wondering if this would be an upgrade from a Lenovo Y700 with a 960m i76700hq and 8gb of ram

AMD FX 6300 (i know its old)
Corsair TX 650 watt Power supply
Gigabyte GTX 1050ti
Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P FX
GSkill 8gb DDR3
WD 2tb Hardrive
ADATA 120gb SSD BootDrive

Do you have the fx or the laptop?

If the fx system and gaming is what you do with your system. Then I don't think it will be that much of an upgrade .
960gtx (full version non mobile) is pretty close to a 1050ti.
And the gimped lappy6700 might have some IPC gain but the low clock speeds would limit the gains.

Just my opinion

What is your budget? And intended uses.

Do you have the fx or the laptop?

If the fx system and gaming is what you do with your system. Then I don't think it will be that much of an upgrade .
960gtx (full version non mobile) is pretty close to a 1050ti.
And the gimped lappy6700 might have some IPC gain but the low clock speeds would limit the gains.

Just my opinion

What is your budget? And intended uses.

Its actually as a trade. intended uses are for gaming. (Trading laptop for the desktop) and a little bit of video recording.

i was thinking for about 200-300 i could get a platform change and just keep the case, power supply, and storage items and upgrade to ryzen 3

I take it you have the FX .

If you could save a bit more you could get a really nice Upgrade
~ 500 could get you a z370 + 8400 + 16 gigs ddr4 / r5 1600 /b350/16 gigs

I take it you have the FX .

If you could save a bit more you could get a really nice Upgrade
~ 500 could get you a z370 + 8400 + 16 gigs ddr4 / r5 1600 /b350/16 gigs

I do not have the FX yet im looking to trade it for my Laptop.

I wouldn't do that swap. The desktop is old, slow, and a dead end. You'd end up replacing most of it if you were to upgrade you might as well start from scratch. Even for gaming performance alone, the GPU is a little faster but I don't think it enough to be worth getting stuck with the rest of the system. The PSU isn't bad either, but it is very old. I have the 750 version, and its efficiency is noticeably lower that more modern ones.

I also have the 6700HQ in my laptop, it isn't a limiting factor for 1080p60 assuming that's the laptop display too. My laptop was from that generation (not surprising it if has the same CPU) and they often paired it with mediocre GPUs, kinda annoying as I'd wish they'd include a faster GPU and lower CPU (like i5) to balance it out better.

It is a huge downgrade from your laptop...

The FX 6300 is a dog compared to your 6700HQ.

The 1050 ti is a tad faster than the 960, but not worth the CPU trade .

Oh I would keep what you have then . The case probably isn't anything that great PSU is at the eol 1050ti is very much a budget card .

Maybe look at one of those external GPU boxes

But in truth save up 1000$
Then come back and we will help pick out a system .
Used parts might save you some $ as well .

A Haswell system can be found for reasonable prices pair with a used 970 would still make a.good 1080 gaming box

Last edited:
Back