• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"ISP"?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barret

Okay, here is what I'm wondering:

My parents own a four family house, and, as a result, have three tenants (one apartment is completly under construction). It is a nice place, but so are the other places for rent around the area. What I want to do is set them apart. Maybe by offering internet acccess. Which is where "ISP" comes in. I don't think they'd be willing to spend the (average) $10k startup fee that an ISP has. I mean, basically it will be for three computers. I'm wondering if I should just have them run a DSL line in, and just use a router. Would it really be enough for three computers? Do you think it's against the law? I would not charge them. Thanks for looking,

-Barret

It shouldn't be to slow...I don't think they'd be doing anything bandwidth intensive....I'll check with the ISP first, I guess. Do you guys think it would be all that hard to have an e-mail server? I'm going to test it out here, just to see how 'hard' it is. I'd probably use the same computer for the e-mail server as I would the DHCP server. Anyone have any other ideas?

-Barret

EDIT: That first bit seems to be more thinking out loud...Just realized :rolleyes:

Is it worth it? Say the internet is slow for some reason, they call you. Or the internet is down, they call you. Then you have the "This doesn't work on my computer" problems.

You could do it easily, but you need to analyse weather or not is it worth the problems associated with this to seperate yourself from the competition.

Good point. I'm thinking it would be though, simply because I like computers. It is something to consider, thanks...Anyone got anything else?

-Barret

You could consider adding some CAT5/5e/6 cabling to the apartments to allow for easier cable distribution to the various rooms from a central point. That would certaintly be a selling point above and beyond the average apartment for rent.

I would contact a broadband ISP in your area. I know some apts. around here have deals with them where they just include internet with their rental fees and the cable company supports the connection.

you'd have to look at the TOS for the isp, some might say household, some might say family, some might refer to ti as an address, so you'd have trouble sharing it. runnign a mai lserver with a domain and all isnt that hard, but running the tech support might be a pain.

if you LAN all of the apartments, that coudl be a selling point. then you could run cat5 hookups to a central location where you could plug them together so you could LAN between the apts, caus if having a LAN in the apt is a selling point for someone to rent the APT, they'll surely game with ya :-D

Back