• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Issues with running Kali Linux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys,

One of my friends is going to teach me how to use Kali Linux, as i have a small interest in making my home network more secure, since i will be running my business from home.
I have been attempting to run Kali of USB drive. Running is as "Live" i end up with a black screen, after initial booting proceedings are done.
If i go for Live Fail safe, then it will boot into Kali, but my mouse will not work. I did make my way with keyboard and setup a persistence partition on the USB drive.

Running it in persistence gives the same as live, black screen.

I have googled the issues but 99.9% of all solutions for this apparently common issue, sits with Virtual Machine setups, and from what i see its down to GPU setup.

Hardware:

X99 Gigabyte motherboard
16gb ram
2x 980GTX in Sli ( I assume this may be the issue?)
4x monitors

Anyone have any advice? I have tried going legacy in bios, did no change, i made sure that GPU 1 is set as main GPU also.

2x 980GTX in Sli ( I assume this may be the issue?)

Maybe the issue but there are other things to check. You could always just pull one of the cards and see if it boots. I know that may not be ideal because of unhooking equipment and monitors is not fun, but it is pretty much the easiest (only maybe) way to know how/where to do more troubleshooting.

Before you go yanking cables and such though, I will just blame your Live USB. You didnt say how you made it, but kali themselves tell you how and if you did it in any of the many possible ways or deviated from the instructions in the slightest, that might just be the issue. I only bring this point up because of how many times this has happened to me with other distros. 99% of the time Rufus will work, or using dd, or the windows imager, but when they do not following the exact way on the distro webpage has solved the issue. This page explains how to verify your image file and the importance of it <-- always check your md5 (or sha256 or whatever your distro recommends). Sometimes a few bits/bytes rearranged make small difference and you wont even notice, but in my experience it can cause the issues you describe.

Other things: it is rare but I have seen live usb sticks that just dont like certain machines. They will work fine if I move from a laptop to a desktop or vice versa. Sometimes it is the distro, for instance I could make a live usb in the exact same way on the exact same usb stick with different distros and get different results.

Lastly: I hope you have fun with Kali and that your friend who is teaching you is up to snuff, but Kali has a well deserved reputation for being tough. Prepare to read alot :D

pull the sli out first, just unplug the power from one card.
if this woks, install the nvidia driver into your operating system image.

I myself play with Kali a little and I had a problem with my USB image of it and it took me a while to get it to work properly. I was using a program to make a bootable image of it I cant remember which one but I tried a different program and it worked great. The one I used first that didn't work had the penguin holding a usb drive when you booted up the program.

I know this is old but SLI and and Nvidia card would be the problems.

Also if you're looking to make your network "secure" Kali is the last thing you want running and connected to it.
It is not made with security in mind at all (notice the root only login).
It is nothing more than a themed Debian with a bucnh of pentesting tools on it.

I have had a problem with Kali Linux as well.
It seems your hardware is not compatible with Kali Linux.
Or there seems to be a driver issue with keyboard and mouse.
You could install extended branch drivers to make your Mouse and Keyboard work with Linux.
I wouldn't be able to direct you at Github source but if you do some research on Google you would be able to get it.

Back