• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just built my first Chrome OS machine

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Erm... mmmmm... at great personal risk of looking like your bog standard Average Joe... What's a "Chrome OS" ?

Much easier than building a Hackintosh! The Neverware folks have made it very simple.

https://guide.neverware.com/install...-usb-installer-into-a-computer-of-your-choice

Works like a charm and fast as greased lightening! Boots up in 11 seconds on an 7600k with SSD. Would be great for granny!
Am I this old? When this popps in my head!?!?!
"Why this car is automatic
It's systematic
It's hydromatic
Why it's grease lightning"
Thanks Mr T. I will have to try it out.

Dear Sir Trents, how do you time 11 seconds? From moment you push power button or when loading screen appears and stop the timer when you get inside windows?

Dear Sir Trents, how do you time 11 seconds? From moment you push power button or when loading screen appears and stop the timer when you get inside windows?

From the moment I press the power button to the appearance of the log in screen.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Erm... mmmmm... at great personal risk of looking like your bog standard Average Joe... What's a "Chrome OS" ?

Kenrou, you mean you don't own a Chromebook yet? In the USA over 50% of the computers in public school classrooms are now Chromebooks. They cost half as much as Windows-based laptops and are practically immune to infections. All the software tools are cloud-based. Very easy to administrate and maintain. Very simple. Very fast.

If you want to play streaming video you must go into Settings and install the Adobe Flash and Proprietary Media plugins.

The only thing so far that doesn't work quite right is the sleep function. And that may be tied to the fact that I installed the OS on a desktop system and not a laptop. In other words, no lid to close.

Dear Trents, but each mini has its unique delay during post. Either way, you got me wondering now. Up try to do mine now and see where it takes me.ill upstate when.I get results

UT, keep in mind that the Chrome OS depends heavily on the Internet. Nothing except the OS lives on the device itself. Everything else is on the cloud. So a strong Internet connection is essential to a satisfactory experience with Chromebooks and the Chrome OS. I mention that because I know your internet connection speed is well, not exactly robust.

Each mini? Mini what? I have two Mac Minies.

Each mini? What mini? Well anyways, I was just curious how quick is traditional pc compared to a chrome. I know the laptop in.our church we use boots very quick. It's a 770k and has sad. Mine at home actually got an enormous boost in boot speeds when migrating to win10. It has sad, but its first version of i7. Still much faster than under vista! Imma time it now. Brb

Ok, here's a timer.
I start from cold boot. Power button+timer start. First is gtx460 text information, then I get post screen and it runs through a bunch of quick lines and as soon as everything goes black, I'm at 23 seconds.

There's about 1 second of delay and loading screen fades in. It loads, then fades to black, then I get welcome screen, another 1 second, then it fades to black, and then I get fade in to desktop. End of timer. 36.78 seconds.

After post screen, actual boot from black to desktop: 12.93 seconds.
It takes longer to post than load windows.

View attachment 201852

this is win10 home
I7 920 @3.6mhz
1400mgs ram 4g x2
rucial m4 128th sad. Sata@II

I just measure boot times by looking at my wrist watch. I like to keep things simple.

Kenrou, you mean you don't own a Chromebook yet? In the USA over 50% of the computers in public school classrooms are now Chromebooks. They cost half as much as Windows-based laptops and are practically immune to infections. All the software tools are cloud-based. Very easy to administrate and maintain. Very simple. Very fast.

Haven't had any reason to dump Windows 8.1 so far, so no reason to try others :p so seems very good for computers that you either don't really change the system or don't want people to change the system ? what about average joe, games etc ?

Haven't had any reason to dump Windows 8.1 so far, so no reason to try others :p so seems very good for computers that you either don't really change the system or don't want people to change the system ? what about average joe, games etc ?

Think annoyingly large smart phone with a lid. Or an Android specifically for laptop type hardware

:rofl: smartphone with a lid. I don't see the appeal of -the Clyde- not sure why you don't want to have everything on the device(another terminology..) isn't it slower to download the program just to open something up? Even smartphones have programs(apps) downloaded and installed.

It all looks very backwards. We strive for vastness by going with nvme drives and super overcooked cpus and fast ram cache to run things faster and here you have a computer with nothing preloaded and have to fetch a program through internet to open something up.

Trents, sir, you need to sacrifice that device and get a true laptop:)

Online games only. Depends on how you define "average Joe". For the vast majority of people, computer gaming consists of things like mahjong and solitaire that can be done quite nicely online. That's why in my first post I said the Chromebook/Chrome OS is perfect for granny.

:rofl: smartphone with a lid. I don't see the appeal of -the Clyde- not sure why you don't want to have everything on the device(another terminology..) isn't it slower to download the program just to open something up? Even smartphones have programs(apps) downloaded and installed.

It all looks very backwards. We strive for vastness by going with nvme drives and super overcooked cpus and fast ram cache to run things faster and here you have a computer with nothing preloaded and have to fetch a program through internet to open something up.

Trents, sir, you need to sacrifice that device and get a true laptop:)

With a Chromebook you don't download the programs. You reach out to them on the cloud and manipulate them up there from the device. The cloud server actually runs the program. And I have a "true" laptop. Two of them, in fact. No, three. And I have a true chromebook as well. This was just something new and different to try.

Chromebooks have been around for a while:

Yup, and they offer the alternative, to M$ and big hardware, that a lot of people want. A lot of people do their internet on phones now (like a certain Taco) and only occasionally have need of a bigger display and proper keyboard. Students who can write a paper and use cloud storage until it's time to print (if they still even print them), grandma's Facebook, DIY speaker building as a hobby (data sets and graphs that are easier to work with on a 12" or 13" display). Even mechanics. I've often found it easier to look up specs for something online and leave it on the display while working. I've shown my computer to people who look puzzled and ask me "Why not just use the phone?"

And control of advertising dollars. There's a reason Windows 10 is trying to be Android. M$ and Google have been battling over who will be first to control the entire online ecosystem. "Targeted advertising", the bane of civilized man. LOL

Nah, they are the future. I was around before cable TV, cell phones, Intel and AMD, even Pong! . All this stuff is new and neat for me. It's only been recently that Moore's Law became defunct. A lot of older generations still see owning all this computing power as an amazing achievement of science. Then we have the coming generations who grew up with it all, it was always there like TV, airplanes and taxes for us. They're not as impressed because they don't know what it was like in the Dark Before Times. Phones had dials fer Chrissakes! And cords! In 20 years they'll look at our rigs and say "Wow! That was pretty cool-back in the day". And when they say that to you guys that are in your 30s now, you'll officially be "old". He he he. So if I'm not around then, welcome to my world. :rofl:

Back