• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just got a new Router

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KinesongPayaso

Registered
I just got a router today, and asked the sales rep how to set it up, and how to prevent the SSID from being broadcasted to prevent neighbors from connecting. Once I was shown that the SSID was indeed hidden(they checked it on a different demo laptop) they boxed it back up, I took it back and tried to install it. After a few failed attempts(A,B,C,D), only reason I could think of would be that the sales rep forgot to "unhide" the SSID broadcast before boxing it back up.

A) Manually installed software via bundled CD
B) Pushed Reset button on Router and Modem
C) Unplugged and restarted Router, Modem, Laptop
D) Checked Router Presence via ipconfig

And so I attempted to reverse the process of Hiding the SSID
But when I went to check the router's Settings via 192.168.2.1(belkin), it wouldn't push through
I just kept on getting an error on the browser(the exact error report, I forgot .. but it looked like one of those "cannot find/404" errors
To be thorough, I tried other values(x.x.0.0, x.x.0.1, etc)

So what can I do to reverse the 'unbroadcast' process, when I can't even connect to the router?
I'd take it back to the shop where I got it for diagnosis, but it's nearly a 2 hour drive(another 2, going back) just for them to see what's wrong(no guaranteed fix yet)
:bang head

Disabling SSID broadcast is not security. You're just making the clients spew the SSID all over the place instead of having just the router broadcasting it alone. See Wireless LAN security myths that wont die

A) You don't need to install software to use a router. Just go to the webpage (usually http://192.168.1.1)
D) All ipconfig tells you is whether there's an IP set up on your machine. It doesn't do anything to the router.

If you couldn't get the wireless connection to work, you should have a cable connected to the router. After it is connected, you need to run ipconfig /renew.

Most if not all router/modem have a lil reset button on the back. Just press and hold that sucker for 30 sec and it should reset to default.

Typically routers have wireless access to the config page disabled by default.
The default access page is usually listed in the manual. (typically 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1)
You should plug in with an ethernet cord till you get the router set up.
As for security, enable WPA2 and put in a long password. (WEP is easily cracked)
You can disable SSID and it might prevent people from casually seeing your network, but programs some like kismet will still record the wireless signal.
You can also add a whitelist of MAC addresses to the router, which makes it even harder for people to access it.
Though, i figure the WPA2 is enough security.

MAC address cloning can easily bypass this, from what I am told by someone who works in a Network Operations Center.

True that. Now that i think about it you can get the mac address of a computer using the network by sniffing packets. Though it might deter less viligant crackers.

Even WPA passwords can be cracked if the password is a weak one. (e.g. dictionary words)
I like to use https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm for passwords.

In reality there is no way to truly secure a wireless network.

MAC address cloning can easily bypass this, from what I am told by someone who works in a Network Operations Center.

I just so happen to work in a Network Operations Center :attn:

1.) Hiding the SSID is a step to preventing unauthorized access. Most people who steal wireless are just average Joe who randomly connect just because it's open. Hiding it isn't such a bad idea.

2.) MAC Address authentication is not so bad either. Let's say the average Joe gets net stumbler and finds the SSID. Then even if he tried to connect he couldn't because his MAC address wasn't authorized. Now lets say hes a Apple user or Linux user and knows how to spoof addresses... Fine hes in.

3.) WPA2 is the best and final defense. This alone would work great, but combined with the other two you have a pretty secure network that most wont even know exists.

I use all three methods at home. MAC, Hidden SSID, and WPA2.

uhm, are you using a wired connection to setup the router seeing as how you have the ssid stuff disabled or whatever? if not plug in an ethernet cable and go to 192.168.2.1 and set everything up from there.

I just so happen to work in a Network Operations Center :attn:

1.) Hiding the SSID is a step to preventing unauthorized access. Most people who steal wireless are just average Joe who randomly connect just because it's open. Hiding it isn't such a bad idea.

2.) MAC Address authentication is not so bad either. Let's say the average Joe gets net stumbler and finds the SSID. Then even if he tried to connect he couldn't because his MAC address wasn't authorized. Now lets say hes a Apple user or Linux user and knows how to spoof addresses... Fine hes in.

3.) WPA2 is the best and final defense. This alone would work great, but combined with the other two you have a pretty secure network that most wont even know exists.

I use all three methods at home. MAC, Hidden SSID, and WPA2.

1.) If the fact that somebody might see your SSID makes you afraid, I hope there's a box of tin-foil hats nearby... If the SSID has you worried, then your other security measures probably aren't what they should be.

2.) If you have a wireless router, it is often because computers are not able to be wired (yet?). Say you have a single system allowed to access the admin section of the router. That system's radio fails. Now, you have to take a system to the router and use a cable to add your new radio (unless you want to permanently spoof your own MAC). For a more common problem, try inviting some friends with laptops to your house. Now you have to get their MAC addresses, and add them to the router.
This does nothing but add an entirely false sense of security, while potentially causing lots of inconvenience.

Just stick to WPA2 with a good key and be done with it.

agree with petteyg359, WPA2 with a masive key that can not be cracked by a dictionary. If you are really that worried about security....hard wire your network with a good switch, it will be faster and way more secure then anything else.

I'm not saying SSID hiding is ideal, just one more layer of thin security. If it can't be seen easily to begin with then its one less thing to worry about. I also broadcast in Wireless N 5G exclusively. Among avoiding the 2.5Ghz band and conflicting channels I also reduce the amount of clients that can connect.

Yes, use WPA2 but it doesnt hurt to add additional measures.

As for MAC address authenticaiton pains... I have multiple systems so if one fails it's not a problem. Not to mention I know how to spoof my own mac address.

BACK ON SUBJECT:
To the OP. Just reset the router by holding the reset button down with a pen. Then navigate to 192.168.0.1, or 192.168.1.1, and 192.168.2.1 (depends on the type of router) and manually set everything up. Just read the menu's its pretty easy on most devices.

It's also best to use a cat5 cable hard wired to configure these things.

Back