• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

just had idea: fiber optik cable in the water lines?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CryptokiD

anyone ever tried fiber optik cable in your water lines with highlighter ink? it would make the water glow!

glowing hoses

With highlighter ink, all you'd need is a blacklight. Not sure if there'd be a performance effect though...

I thought fiber optic cable only carried the energy for a light to a bulb. I didn't think the whole thing glowed up. But, if it does, thats a really good idea :)

The real fiber optic cable wouldn't work. Once you take the glass fiber out of the sheath, it's barely bendable, and severely breakable.

The plastic light transmission variety may not give off much light through the sides of the fiber. The smooth surface acts much like a mirror to light traveling down through it.
If you could find the larger type used for indirect lighting, then wetsand the fiber after removing the sheath, you may get it to work, but the light source would have to be good and powerfull. Your taking the total light input and stretching it out over a large length, so there's got to be alot going in to make it's entire length glow well.

Really, dye-lite and a blacklight (UV) cold cathode tube is probably the best solution.

fieroptic only emits light from the ends not along its side's like say ropelight. its not as fragile as some may think, you can bend it about 80-85 degrees...

but it wont work in this application.

not true

fiberoptic cable ( if you strip the coating and the refelctive sheth around the cable) does put some light out on the sides

how ever they were right it breaks faily easy and then you would have little class chunks in your system

i dont see why you couldnt use the plastic type that you get on the little twirly desktop light displays

if you had alot of money and really wanted it you could always go with a clear tubeing with neon lighting in the walls. but im not sure of this mabe you can only use glass??? that might break on ya and total the comp... Also im not sure if neon lighting gets hot or no im sure someone can help me on this. This would end up to be a costly prodject though.

Yes it would slightly glow, But think about this for a second a broken strand of fiber can penetrate through your skin into your blood stream imagine a bunch of little fibers flowing around in your water lines:eek: that combined with the increased pressure in your water lines due to as someone mentioned earlier the lower volume and increased flow of the water it would take a really well sealed system with a fairly hi pressure rating to make it work... Much Much better off with CCT and some kind of additive to the water (foodcoloring a dab of liquid from a glow stick something like that) its probably the cheaper and safer way to go.

couldnt you use the entire hose as a fiberoptic cable

couldnt you put one of thosue super leds some where in the flow

at a y junction or soemthing i remeber that light will use water kinda like a fiberoptic but just over a lot less distance.

look at my previous post. you guys are missing something. dont use fiberoptic cable use EL wire (a.k.a. glowire) that would work perfect. for the connections you could use T fittings and epoxy.

nope i didnt miss anytyhing

my point was why fill your lines with stuff thats going to reduce flow

when you could have the line its self be the fiberoptic line for you

i guess he doesnt want to do this the easy way and just have a light in his case ( but if it was easy would overclockers want to do it)

i personly think this is a cool idea the case could be dark but the lines would be glowing

you could also set up all sorts of cool effects like haveing them pulse or strobe or respond to compter activity ( glow brighter when the cpu is being used more.)

just some thoughts

Someone just posted that there's blacklight led's available now. Inset them into a poly block, and two or three of in inline unions (double barbs) that way just the tubes would glow, and not be messing with your eyes like a killa cathode does.

Oh and water in a pipe/tube will act like fibre optic cable for quite a long distance actually. I tried it on my mom's ornamental fountain, the light was 12' downstream from where the water came out into the pond and glowed. But that was using black pvc pipe (direct burial type) I think light would escape from the clear tubes alot, but hey ....that's the point right?

LiquidConfusion said:
Yes it would slightly glow, But think about this for a second a broken strand of fiber can penetrate through your skin into your blood stream imagine a bunch of little fibers flowing around in your water lines:eek: that combined with the increased pressure in your water lines due to as someone mentioned earlier the lower volume and increased flow of the water it would take a really well sealed system with a fairly hi pressure rating to make it work...

This is not true. Fibre Optic Cable will not penetrate your skin to the point of entering your blood stream. It's just a bad sliver that is a royal pain in the but to get out because it's clear. For referece I have been train in Fibre termination and have had my share of fibre slivers. The Fibre optic lines in the water lines is a nice idea but it's impractical. Try coloring your water and using a black light. Hope this helps you out.

Diggrr said:
Someone just posted that there's blacklight led's available now. Inset them into a poly block, and two or three of in inline unions (double barbs) that way just the tubes would glow, and not be messing with your eyes like a killa cathode does.

Beat me to it...there should be UV LEDs out, there was a thread about it in Cyber Deals, I think. Just add a cable to that, dip it in the water, presto.

Ok I am far from knowledgeable in the things these guys are saying so Im not even going to go there.

Now I think what your looking for is something that you can put into the lines that will put off a light on its own. Now presuming that at least some of what has been said is right. Fiber Optic might not be the way to go. I would say go with EL lighting. Add a T into the lines. Seal one end off with the end of the EL lighting connections coming out there. And run them through the tubing. I dont think that it would slow down the water rate all that much if you had a decent pump in there anyways, so I consider this redundant. Rather interesting idea however. I will definately give this some thought. Especially for my next project/case.

IFMU

I decided to post a pic to show what I mean. The colors should be obvious, Red Hot water, Blue Cold water, pink/purple luke warm. The light grey is the EL lighting that goes into the lines and where they connect on the outside of the tubing.

Any help?

Back