• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just trying to get opinions for a new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FievelJ

The question is, when I have the funds, which I am thinking of getting this piece by piece as I can afford it, how this looks so far.

I already have an 850 Watt PSU. Had to replace the 1050 and got this one.
IDK what I am doing for a video card, might just use onboard for the time being.
Also will be thinking about some other HDs like maybe going SSD a little more.

So how's this so far, oh and the CPU aim is something unlocked as that opens more options for overclocking.

Excepting substantial sales, I would suggest saving until you can purchase the whole build at once. Prices usually don't go up on this kind of thing, with the exception of global level events. On the other hand, prices do drop and new parts come out frequently. You could wind up wanting to go with a different generation of part by the time you're ready to buy.

Excepting substantial sales, I would suggest saving until you can purchase the whole build at once. Prices usually don't go up on this kind of thing, with the exception of global level events. On the other hand, prices do drop and new parts come out frequently. You could wind up wanting to go with a different generation of part by the time you're ready to buy.
Great advice actually. What I am looking for is something faster than what I have, as one of the things I want it to be able to do is playback a UHD Blu Ray Disc. 4K of course, as I just want to stay a little behind as parts come down as you stated. The system I have has corrupt BIOS and doesn't take anything in CPU2 Ram Bank. Rather than fixing the problem, I would rather just get something faster, even if it's getting older by that time.

Who knows instead of 12th GEN could go with 13th Gen. In any-case I just want something faster dealing with 1080p much better and able to playback 4K, 8K isn't no hurry as I am now still using no higher than 1080p for video playback. So something which can encode and re-compress files faster is what I am looking for. The 13th GEN processors I believe can handle 8K playback, but thing with me is I am in no extreme hurry. Just something which will do now days is fine, and I haven't even worked with 4K yet to say nothing for 8K. Which I believe the 13th Gen CPUs can do the 8K. Didn't list a separate Video Card as that I would upgrade later, using what's there at first, before thinking about upgrading the video in some way.

Overclocking; Wasn't pushing too hard for a great board for it as I don't know how much Overclocking I will actually do at first, probably will get the system and cooling together before I even think about seeing how far I can push the CPU over its rated speed.
So then CPU should and by my post I am not in any kind of hurry for that part, until I am more ready to build this. It'll probably be one of the last parts I buy for it, and maybe they will release something which will make the 13th Gen processors come down more in price, then I'll be able to afford something pretty fast, but still quite behind others. The board I was looking at is a steep price of 645, and that's for dual Xeons, and even on top of that the Asus board I was looking at is overclockable meaning I could overclock a server setup. But instead I already stepped it down to something a little more in my price range. It'll be even easier to get something when the sofa is paid off, which I am considering never doing anymore. Pay as you go and own it, but then you pay a lot more paying Aaron's a monthly fee. That will free up another 90$ there.

I guess once the sofa is paid off it'll be easier to choose what to do, as I should have then 180$ I can set aside then, per month.

What do you think, should I still aim for a server? Was thinking more affordable instead of what I really want. So what should I do?

Remember there's no big hurry, I have about half a year to pay on the sofa yet.
Of course anything would be better than what I already have as this piece of **** only communicates with the internet where it wants to.

What do you think I should do? It did go down since I first looked at this board, as it was nearly 700$ and now it's down to 645.

What should my aim be??

You're only trying to playback video up to 4K? Or are you also editing?
Rendering and editing Blu Ray 1080P yes, but only needs fast enough to play back 4K.
I think I am going to see if I can save for the server board, as that's what I was thinking along the line of in the first place.

I dont see the point of a server board...why? What benefits you? Aren't those more expensive?

Last edited:
I dont see the point of a server board...why? What benefits you? Aren't those more expensive?
Yes the boards are quite expensive, but this is what I was thinking about way back when I first wanted to place something together. Actually before I placed together the Opteron system I was going to place together one of the other Xeon systems. I found these and been trying to begin to place money aside for awhile now. Once my sofa is paid it should be easier, and maybe the board will come down in price by then too some. My aim for CPUs is around 100 to 200 each. When I first found this board I wasn't actually looking for something to overclock, and didn't even know it could do that, was just looking for a good board. Yes I know it's more expensive and probably overkill, but then I won't feel the need to replace it as soon. That's at least one of my goals there. I plan on having it last for into years to come, even if I am kind of behind others some. I already am behind, but do not want a new AMD server as those last time I checked don't take Windows 10 or 11. That way I can just use the copy I already have of Windows 10, and upgrade maybe, later. There's probably no real need to have something like the system I will probably build, but I would rather build something way over what I really need.

I could probably afford an 12th or 13th GEN CPU faster, but I really want another server.
I am pricing Water Cooling Parts, and might just spend every penny I can save building that too, as I buy the parts little by little. Hopefully by 2024 I'll have a working dual Xeon, which will be the last system I buy for awhile then. I had this one for around 5 years, could replace the bios, then I could use both CPUs maybe I'll see about that in between then and now.

PS

I love how they still call them sockets, when the pins aren't on the CPUs anymore. :D

Once my sofa is paid it should be easier, and maybe the board will come down in price by then too some
What board are you looking at? What generation of Xeon CPUs go in there? What's available for $100-$200 per CPU on this unmentioned motherboard?

Yes I know it's more expensive and probably overkill, but then I won't feel the need to replace it as soon.
That's flawed logic to me. IIRC, the warranty on most server boards are 3 years, just like consumer boards. So if they aren't standing behind their product longer, why would we? If they are longer, I get it. that said, 99% of server boards are potatoes... paltry VRMs, weak cooling, etc as they only have to support stock speeds.

I already am behind, but do not want a new AMD server as those last time I checked don't take Windows 10 or 11.
Windows 10 Pro (?), but if you don't have it, you don't. More reason to stick to consumer-class hardware. Compatibility niggles.

There's probably no real need to have something like the system I will probably build, but I would rather build something way over what I really need.
Totally agree with this sentiment, but what you're building just adds complication, hassle, and expense for you, who seems to be on a budget anyway. If your goal is actually to do this, I'd 100% go consumer. There's nothing you mentioned that makes me think, 'yep, dude should go 5-year-old server parts to keep for the next five years... not one bone in my body leans that way from the current info. How do you use your machine, exactly? Do you benefit from wide (many cores/threads) compared to fast (Ghz and IPC)?

I could probably afford an 12th or 13th GEN CPU faster, but I really want another server.
If it's just for giggles, we get it, and we're here for you. Just be careful not to gaslight ourselves to justify the purchase.

I am pricing Water Cooling Parts, and might just spend every penny I can save building that too,
Water for server-class hardware is likely going to be more expensive too. I'm not sure you'll find a lot of selection of blocks that fit the larger socket/CPU. Whereas if you stick with consumer, there are dozens of (less expensive) options available.

EDIT: I see, the Asus Sage... $600+ motherboard.....you can easily do better with a latest gen $300 motherboard and $500 CPU (spent the same money). That will playback 4K and render better than 13 year old CPUs. if that's all you're stressing your PC to do.

Last edited:
What board are you looking at? What generation of Xeon CPUs go in there? What's available for $100-$200 per CPU on this unmentioned motherboard?
There's a few on Ebay, which is where I am getting some of the parts.

That's flawed logic to me. IIRC, the warranty on most server boards are 3 years, just like consumer boards. So if they aren't standing behind their product longer, why would we? If they are longer, I get it. that said, 99% of server boards are potatoes... paltry VRMs, weak cooling, etc as they only have to support stock speeds.

Windows 10 Pro (?), but if you don't have it, you don't. More reason to stick to consumer-class hardware. Compatibility niggles.
My copy of 10 is a pro copy, and has a legal key.

Totally agree with this sentiment, but what you're building just adds complication, hassle, and expense for you, who seems to be on a budget anyway. If your goal is actually to do this, I'd 100% go consumer. There's nothing you mentioned that makes me think, 'yep, dude should go 5-year-old server parts to keep for the next five years... not one bone in my body leans that way from the current info. How do you use your machine, exactly? Do you benefit from wide (many cores/threads) compared to fast (Ghz and IPC)?
Yeah I know it is overkill. LOL.

If it's just for giggles, we get it, and we're here for you. Just be careful not to gaslight ourselves to justify the purchase.

Water for server-class hardware is likely going to be more expensive too. I'm not sure you'll find a lot of selection of blocks that fit the larger socket/CPU. Whereas if you stick with consumer, there are dozens of (less expensive) options available.

EDIT: I see, the Asus Sage... $600+ motherboard.....you can easily do better with a latest gen $300 motherboard and $500 CPU (spent the same money). That will playback 4K and render better than 13 year old CPUs. if that's all you're stressing your PC to do.
I have tabs open to Ebay pages, as I get parts first for the water cooling, them I can get as I go. I already can place 90 aside easier already, and once the sofa is paid that will give me another 90. 90+90=180, and I usually have 100 to 200 left to start with, even though I only get 1104. I can usually have some left, would only take a couple months to save for it. How's this pump, or should I look for something else? https://www.ebay.com/itm/1540267585...jjm2cknO1PHnxh6sH/uJv0/yfQ==|tkp:BFBM4N6nqqdi

I will be asking things from time to time in the future as I get parts together. The sofa will take about another six months to pay which brings me into January or so. Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll come down in price a bit yet. I am not building this with any kind of speed, but also have this https://www.newegg.com/thermaltake-...1200-w/p/N82E16817153447?Item=N82E16817153447 on my list to be on the safe side. I am guessing summer next year I'll have a working Xeon.

Keep in mind it'll be awhile before I have the money, so if mods to what I plan need done, then I have plenty of time.

My advice is still to just sit tight. Almost certainly another gen will be out by January. If you intend to continue saving for a few months after that, I would really advise against buying anything now that you plan to use in a build in March.

Watercooling is fun and looks cool, but it isn't cheap and the price to performance just isn't there. If you want to do it anyway, we are here for it. If you're going to do it, I would advise you invest the time and expense to do it right. This guide is a great place to start. A lot has changed but the fundamentals discussed there still apply.

Regarding the pump and reservoir you linked, I have quite a few concerns. The first is the acrylic assembly. Sure welded acrylic can be water tight for use in a PC loop, but are you going to trust a random company on ebay? At best if it leaks you'll have a big mess and possibly a dead pump, and at worst you could lose hardware. Second they show pictures of compression fittings but don't give any details, in fact they don't specify that the threads are G1/4 for the device. It gives an unprofessional impression that the seller does not know enough about PC water cooling to be selling this stuff. Finally the pump itself, it has a claimed output, but no discussion of what amount of head pressure it can overcome (i.e. how many feet uphill could the pump pump, which translates into how many restrictions: 90 degree fittings, jet plates, water block fins, radiator tubes etc, the pump can effectively flow past). DDC or D5 based pumps are essentially universal for a reason.

I would suggest shopping for pumps here https://www.performance-pcs.com/wat...list_dir=asc&product_list_order=price&stock=1 and getting most of your supplies from a reputable water cooling store. It is easy to spend a lot of money on appearance unnecessarily, but conversely at some point you get what you pay for, and you are mixing water and electronics after all.

On such a tight monthly budget (especially if your RAM itself is functional) you may consider something like this https://www.overclockers.com/forums/threads/i7-9700-and-z370-combo.804000/ to hold you over until you pay off the sofa and you could save for a black Friday 2024 build. I haven't seen any mention of actually needing 16-32 cores.

I just happened across this listing in our classifieds, reviewing the seller's heatware history etc and risk will be on you, but I assume since you're looking at ebay for used parts you're comfortable with that.

On such a tight monthly budget (especially if your RAM itself is functional) you may consider something like this https://www.overclockers.com/forums/threads/i7-9700-and-z370-combo.804000/ to hold you over until you pay off the sofa and you could save for a black Friday 2024 build. I haven't seen any mention of actually needing 16-32 cores.

I just happened across this listing in our classifieds, reviewing the seller's heatware history etc and risk will be on you, but I assume since you're looking at ebay for used parts you're comfortable with that.
Nice but.

Oops! We ran into some problems.​

You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.

Am thinking about something cheap and complete until then.
A motherboard with nearly everything on it already, then save for something better later.

And when I do build this, I am thinking seriously about getting a separate case as a cooling station only placing tubes for the CPUs in the main system. Even if I have to do some modding. And also am thinking about two separate loops for each CPU.
It's a future project which will be my dream machine for probably more like a decade then just five years. And thing is, I am only setting a goal of 8 cores and 16 threads for the CPUs. Something similar to what I already have, but it will still be much faster than my system now.

Any other advice is more than welcome.

Ahh sorry about that, you might need to PM a mod or have a certain post count to access our classifieds section. If you are not logged in when clicking the link, I don't believe it will work.

For your other ideas, I would recommend against these approaches. They add needless complexity for little to no benefit. There are many cases that can easily hold enough radiators and then some. I would also recommend against a dual CPU system in the first place. The threadripper platform still offers 64 cores on a single CPU if you really need it. More realistically, AMD's mainstream platform offers 16c/32t CPUs (and you can go AM4 and still save significant money) while Intel's mainstream flagship is at 24c/32t (although it must be noted that only 8 are high performance).

Ahh sorry about that, you might need to PM a mod or have a certain post count to access our classifieds section. If you are not logged in when clicking the link, I don't believe it will work.
Yeah I only have a reaction score of only (1).
I have used forums such as these before, and some of those I am up to 113 or something.

For your other ideas, I would recommend against these approaches. They add needless complexity for little to no benefit. There are many cases that can easily hold enough radiators and then some. I would also recommend against a dual CPU system in the first place. The threadripper platform still offers 64 cores on a single CPU if you really need it. More realistically, AMD's mainstream platform offers 16c/32t CPUs (and you can go AM4 and still save significant money) while Intel's mainstream flagship is at 24c/32t (although it must be noted that only 8 are high performance).
First I am going to replace the board I have just to get both CPUs running, then send two back to Asus to get refurbished. Will probably sell them on Ebay then.

It's a post count thing. Reaction has nothing to do with classifieds access (in forum rules, fyi). :)

Here's where I am at. I am replacing my current board for a new KGPE D-16, and adding stuff little by little, until I have the money for something better, then might just get a Threadripper as the boards aren't too expensive. My aim I think should be 16 Cores. It's about two checks, but by the time I have the funds and easier, I should nearly be able to get one with one check. For now I am fixing what I have, and upgrading some. I hope the real GBs of the DIMS I want, which are ECC Registered, that they sell me 4GB even though it's advertised as 2GB, last time I ordered I ended up with 4GB dims. Dimms?

Anyways, the GTX 1060 have come down in the market, might just get one.

Last edited:
Maybe it's just me... but if I had a limited budget, I wouldn't be spending it on upgrading what you have at this point. For a pittance more you could have a modern, much faster, system.

Why did you link a 5950x?? You're all over the map, lol!

It's DIMMs (two "M"s)

Maybe it's just me... but if I had a limited budget, I wouldn't be spending it on upgrading what you have at this point. For a pittance more you could have a modern, much faster, system.
The thought is to use the video card in my newer system once I build one.

Why did you link a 5950x?? You're all over the map, lol!
Maybe go with an Intel? Something like i5 i7 or i9?

It's DIMMs (two "M"s)
Thanks I got confused there a moment. LOL.

Edit; I also want something which communicates with the Internet right too. It's even somewhat of a pain on local network, so I need something for a replacement.

Last edited:
The thought is to use the video card in my newer system once I build one.
I didn't ask about the video card. ;)

Maybe go with an Intel? Something like i5 i7 or i9?
In other words, why did you write a post about sticking with your current hardware and fixing/upgrading it, then link a new processor? We'll help in any way, this is just incredibly confusing to me.

Edit; I also want something which communicates with the Internet right too. It's even somewhat of a pain on local network, so I need something for a replacement.
.....is this a long winded way to say your ethernet port is bad on the server board? Get a new one that connects through the pcie slots. If youre talking about a feature request on a new board, they all have ethernet ports... and some have integrated wifi... you just have to look.

I didn't ask about the video card. ;)
True you didn't. I am wanting a GTX 1060 as they have come down in price.

In other words, why did you write a post about sticking with your current hardware and fixing/upgrading it, then link a new processor? We'll help in any way, this is just incredibly confusing to me.
Because for now I am keeping what I have, until about January or February.

.....is this a long winded way to say your ethernet port is bad on the server board? Get a new one that connects through the pcie slots. If youre talking about a feature request on a new board, they all have ethernet ports... and some have integrated wifi... you just have to look.
I am sure, as there's many boards which come with the WIFI so I'll probably get one.

But a complete server until then would be nice, instead of being in one CPU mode.

Edit; Probably will go after a 1070, did not know the 1060s didn't have the sli.

Last edited:
Back