• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KDS 19" monitors at Wal-Mart

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nevandal

Registered
I was lookin' at the KDS monitors at wal-mart and they seem like a nice deal....under 180 bucks for a big bright 19" CRT.

Anyone have one of these things, and can you recommend them for gaming?

How would they compare to my FE-991SB-BK NEC 19" monitor (sells at alienware.com falcon-nw.com and voodoopc.com)

My girlfriend got me that kds x-flat 19" monitor for christmas at walmart.I have never really looked at other crt monitors with flat screens so I dont know if they are all like this but the tube is not actually flat,there is an outter glass that is flat and the screen is behind it and you can see that it has a curve to it.
The bad thing about that is that you can sometimes see reflections from the screen on the glass.For example right now if I move my mouse cursor over on the black part of this page i can see a reflection of the cursor,it almost looks like a faint shadow.
You can only see the reflections if its a dark background.
Also I cannot get the edges of my screen completely straight after much time spent tweaking all the settings but that is something that can vary from monitor to monitor of the same type but its not that bad at all.These things probably wouldnt be noticeable to most people unless they were pointed out.
It is better than what I was using so Im happy,its nice and bright and has good picture quality.

Well, I am speaking from experiance. At school we had 44 14" KDS monitors in the beginning of the year. By the end of the year there were 16 of them left. I witnessed 7 of them blow and let me tell you they are loud and smelly. The others just had certain colors burn out.

Granted, they do get abused by getting turned on and off a million times a day and students pressing the magic button a thousand times. So I don't really know how they would hold up in home use.

whta kinda dpi do thye have i looked all over and it didnt say anything about that

So far I have had my KDS 17" Xflat for a year and love it. So far I would have to sy it's the best monitor I have had. Yea it's true you can't get your screen all the way to the edge but when gaming you won't notice it.

i'm running a Samsung 17" syncmaster .25 dpi moniter, around 2 1/2, maybe 3, years old. My roommate just bought a KDS 17" flat screen from Walmart just 2 months ago. Now, to my point, his moniter has a definative blue tint to it. No, you wouldn't notice it if i didn't have my moniter to compare it to..but after i get done using my moniter playing or doing wordprocessing, where there is a lot of white, and i walk over to his and start using it, it bugs me how blue the white is. Follow me? lol..my point is..it sounds like a great "bargain" moniter, but after seeing that blue tint on his and his parents (exact same model, just older) i would opt away from it.

BESIDES..it's walmart..only 0.5% of their stuff is good, not excellant, but good..even their food is below other supermarkets standards. So, I would look for a trusted brand than one that Walmart is pushing.

There, that's my $0.02....

bsspewer said:
his moniter has a definative blue tint to it. No, you wouldn't notice it if i didn't have my moniter to compare it to..but after i get done using my moniter playing or doing wordprocessing, where there is a lot of white, and i walk over to his and start using it, it bugs me how blue the white is. Follow me? lol..my point is..it

There, that's my $0.02....

Check the color select option with the on screen display,mine had a blueish tint also with the whites but i put that setting at 9300k and its fine now.It could also be a color profiler software thats causing it,like the one that comes with adobe photoshop and it maybe running a cooler color temp.

Last edited:
Check the color select option with the on screen display

u know..that honestly didn't occur to me till i typed in that reply..but..i still wanted to get in my thoughts on it and i won't be back at my apartment to mess w/ his moniter till wednesday night..so..if it works i'll post another reply w/ a public appology :)

QUOTE: " . . .public apology."

LOL...

Well I did just buy a monitor...i messed up and cut the damn cable and its being fixed now. I'm just asking in case it can't be fixed or something else goes wrong with the repair...

Its a nice monitor...19 inch FE991SB NEC Mitsubishi. Smooth.

I bought monitors by the pallette-full for about 5 years. I saw in excess of 5000 monitors during this period. KDS was far and away the best I tried, and I tried anything and everything. Their sets have good image quality, outstanding pricing, and good reliability. That being said I don't like to use the cheapest grade of KDS. They typically have a low end conventional set, a mid-grade, and the high end X Flat stuff. Not being a Trinitron lover I prefer the mid-grade. I use a 3 year old KDS VS195i and it is the best set I have owned. The cheapest grade usually has poorer focus and more reliability issues.

a friend of mine bought that monitor and when the screen is completely black (but still on) it will show a symetrical "wood grain" effect on both the left and right side of the screen. It's not really a big deal, just annoying. Other than that, it seems to be a nice monitor

diggingforgold said:

WinXP shadowed mouse effect? lol.

lol nope,you can clearly see reflections from bright objects on the actual screen reflect on the flat glass thats on the front of the monitor,They put the tube itself back about a half an inch away from the glass to make it look like a flat screen.

BomberBear that may just a moire effect that can be adjusted with the on screen display if he hasnt tried it yet.

My whole rig is black, and I kind of wanted a black CRT (ultra flat) to go with it. It's hard to find large enough black UF CRT's around.

I was going to go with a 19" MAG, but now I might stick with the NEC/Mitsubishi 17".

The KDS is probably the best monitor for the price, and I have the 17in X-flat version it is great, there are better monitors, but not in my price range, that said these are great monitors for the price.

No, these arent 'completely' flat but the tube is much flatter than other CRT's. these have a dot pitch of 0.20mm (Hor) 0.25mm (Ver) most other monitors have a dot pitch of .25x.25 so these are nearly flat, plus it makes the image quality a little better.
All in all a best buy in my opinion.

Last edited:
diggingforgold said:
My whole rig is black, and I kind of wanted a black CRT (ultra flat) to go with it. It's hard to find large enough black UF CRT's around.

I was going to go with a 19" MAG, but now I might stick with the NEC/Mitsubishi 17".

You can always look at www.dell.com they have alot of black monitors and I dont think they all say dell, even if it says dell it dont matter they are made buy well known companys.

Oh, and the KDS XF monitors are silver and greyish black.

Might I recommend this Black 19in perfect flat monitor
Viewsonic REs goes to 2048x1536 too! You dont have to buy it from dell ofcourse im sure it can be found elswhere.

Schism

Last edited:
I bought a 19" KDS, it was effed right out of the box. I sent it back and waited for it's replacement. And waited. And waited. To make a horrible story short after about 3 weeks of constant excuses, delays and lies (I can back that claim in court if needed) I accidentally stumbled upon the email address for the man incharge of the whole operation in Canada. He listened to my tale of woe and ordered his POS staff to give me a full refund. Which they did, but only after he ordered them to do so for a second time.

Having said that if you don't live in Canada you may actually be able to buy a KDS monitor without risk of getting screwed.

yeah, the warranty is 3 years here, and people get them back in about week and a half they have good service here, and if you buy it from wal-mart you can just take it back to wal-mart if it breaks or is DOA.

Back