• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lapping the Core

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Kind of off topic, but not really. When you're done lapping if you want to make a good shim get some thin gasket foam slightly higher than the core and glue squares to each corner. Then sand each corner until each one is level with the core, i used a light and level heatink to test. Then you have a very accurate shim for resting the heatsink.

edit, I mean light, as in a light to see the gaps between heatsink and core, not light as an adjective for heatsink

I have lapped several of them with good results. 3C measured with an in-socket thermistor.

First you need to make sure the core is not convex. If it is, the odds are you will only make it worse. A flat (if there is such a thing) or concave core is a good candidate. You can use a razor blade to check the surface.

Lap in 20 second intervals with 2000 grit. Check your work with a 20 power loop every 20 seconds. Only lap until the etched lettering is gone. The result should be a polished sliver colored die. If you see copper, you loose! :eek: You may want to do your final polish with a fresh sheet of 2000 grit and your favorite premium thermal grease as the lube.

Disclaimer: I don’t recommend lapping unless you can afford to replace a damaged core. I will accept no responsibility for anyone’s mistakes if they follow this method.

Back