• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

laptop equivelant of i3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Psittac

My moms laptop is 11 years old and she needs a new one. I want to give her options but know little about amd these days. What should i tell her to look at in her price range.

It is used for quicken and a generic photoshop. She wants touch screen and 15+ display.

Any input would help

What do you mean "laptop equivalent of i3"? There's an i3/i5/i7 lineup of laptop processors.

What price range are you looking in?

I just wanted to let you know it is a laptop so onboard graphics are important. We are looking at 500 and under

I would look for something with an A10 AMD APU, the onboard GPU is better than the Intel onboard, and it'll be more likely to be in your budget.

You're welcome, I'm sure someone else will chime in as well!

And asking about a laptop purchase might do better in the laptop forum section since after all those in there are there because of a laptop. They may know the what and where of deals. Black Friday is right on us as ATMINSIDE suggests.
RGone...

The AMD APUs are a little stronger on the graphics side than the same class Intel APUs but also use a little more power. So battery life won't be quite as good.

What do you mean, "a generic Photoshop"? Is there such a thing? Adobe Photoshop is a very high end, resource demanding app. You're not talking about the photo editing stuff that comes bundled with a new system are you, because those "lite" consumer level photo editors don't even compare to Photoshop and aren't very demanding from a resource standpoint.

Unless your mom is pretty tech savy, don't confuse her with options. You know what she needs. Just make a decision. I work with a lot of older people in my tech business and can tell you you just waste your breath when you try to explain very much at all with regard to computers to them.

I work with a lot of older people in my tech business and can tell you you just waste your breath when you try to explain very much at all with regard to computers to them.

This.

When I was working with someone older (or really just anyone that isn't tech savvy), I would ask what they were doing and just say "X system is best for you at your price level".

The AMD APUs are a little stronger on the graphics side than the same class Intel APUs but also use a little more power. So battery life won't be quite as good.

What do you mean, "a generic Photoshop"? Is there such a thing? Adobe Photoshop is a very high end, resource demanding app. You're not talking about the photo editing stuff that comes bundled with a new system are you, because those "lite" consumer level photo editors don't even compare to Photoshop and aren't very demanding from a resource standpoint.

Unless your mom is pretty tech savy, don't confuse her with options. You know what she needs. Just make a decision. I work with a lot of older people in my tech business and can tell you you just waste your breath when you try to explain very much at all with regard to computers to them.

theres adobe photoshop express.

She's using some program called gimp or something, it would run on her 11 year old laptop that's why i'm calling it generic.

I'm in the process of learning to not explain things, just makes a problem for everyone.

Back