• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop hunt

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So I just got done watching the latest YT video about the Frame Work 16 and saw they're working on additional stuff.

Cooler Master has a case ready so that when you upgrade the system you can put the old mobo in their case to make a slim line computer out of the old parts

They're also releasing a cases so that if you upgrade the battery at some point you can put the old battery in the case as an additional power source to extend the battery life

The market place is being set up for third party direct sales so Asus, MSI and others can sell peripherals which use the expansion port. (Think different expansion cards like AI accelerators, additional batteries, additional SSDs, etc) and the expansion port specs/blueprints are all open source so anyone can design stuff for it.

Personally I think the case for the old mobo is what I want so I can make a Media center from the old parts when I eventually upgrade

I think if the OEMs for falcon northwest is what you want with the updated models then why not go for it?
i wouldnt buy directly from falcon because they are kind of a **** company (first hand experience here) but they arent building any of these laptops in house, just maybe painting them and honstly not worth the hassle.

plus if you buy from their OEMs you might actually get them in time

Haven't heard any hate towards Falcon NW before, so I'm rather curious what your problem was.

I might order from Xotic or Origin. I'm not brand loyal to any laptop suppliers, but I value solid build quality and customer service.

I just put new tires on my pickup, and my STI is getting new tires soon too. Then some other maintenance items before I plunk down on a laptop. Maybe 14th gen chips will be out by then. A laptop is definitely a nice to have and not need to have.

Haven't heard any hate towards Falcon NW before, so I'm rather curious what your problem was.

I might order from Xotic or Origin. I'm not brand loyal to any laptop suppliers, but I value solid build quality and customer service.

I just put new tires on my pickup, and my STI is getting new tires soon too. Then some other maintenance items before I plunk down on a laptop. Maybe 14th gen chips will be out by then. A laptop is definitely a nice to have and not need to have.

I just configured the following 13 Gen Intel for $1020. Bring your own RAM, SSD, and OS (like most here would)

i5-1340P (up to 4.6GHz, 4+8 cores)

$1,020.00

Battery - 55Wh
System:Intel® Core™ i5-1340P

Laptop Bezel:Bezel - Black
Keyboard:US English
Power Adapter - power Adapter - 60W - US/Canada $49.00 - If you already have a USB Type C Charger I think you can skip this too

Expansion Cards

3 xUSB-C $27.00
2 xUSB-A $18.00
HDMI 3rd Gen $19.00
Ethernet $39.00
DisplayPort $19.00

Yeah...it's more expensive than a Walmart special but it has a decent CPU which was released this year and, considering you can upgrade it later, it's acceptable (to me) to pay a little more for the upgradability and repairability

They have 11th gen available there for $819 as well if you poke around a bit

Seems like a lot of money for something lacking storage when I got this for the wife and it has everything in it plus way more computing power. The OLED screen is beautiful, too.

Back