• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop setup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mpegger

Just a quick question. My sisters boyfriend has a laptop with a modem, and a nic, both of which are compact flash cards. He has his own internet account that he uses from home through the modem, so his laptop DUN is currently setup to use that. But he wants to be able to bring his laptop over to our home and hook right up to my network to use my DSL.

Now I'm abit confused how I would setup his networking options on his laptop. How do I setup his computer so he can use either connection without having to change network settings all the time?

Btw, I dont think he can have both the network card and the modem card plugged in at the same time. So would Windoze constantly change his network settings everytime he switchs cards as well?

It depends on what laptop manufacturer he has. Most laptops that have both modem/nic combos, automatically detect what is currently in use.
My friend has a compaq laptop that has built-in modem/nic/wireless and it automatically detects the network, and does everything on it's own. If it's wired to ethernet, windows (XP) will recognize this and use it automatically, But if he's using dial up, he has to run the dialer program (AO-HELL)

Also, if he wants to use his laptop at your house, you'll need either extra IP addresses (obtained from your ISP) or a Router set up to accept the mac address from his laptop.

Guess I'll need to take a look at his laptop. He still needs to get some cat-5 long enough to reach the table so I wont be able to hook it up to the switch yet. But I can see if the laptop changes settings when each card is swapped.

camfortner said:
Also, if he wants to use his laptop at your house, you'll need either extra IP addresses (obtained from your ISP) or a Router set up to accept the mac address from his laptop.

not necessarily

how is your network set up right now? i'm assuming that you already have a hub if he thinks he's just going to hook right up? anyways, you can just setup internet connection sharing.

Standard router with DHCP enabled here. As far as that part of the network, I know what to do. Its just the part about swapping a nic card and modem card that has me confused. I know with my computer (not a laptop) if I remove the nic, I lose the settings for the nic if I reinstall at a later time, especially if I install a modem and fiddle around with the DUN settings. I've never setup a laptop before for networking and modem use. Sould be easy when both cards are installed and used at all times like a regular computer (which I have done before). But both the cards are removable, and I dont know if Windoze will change settings around on its own when he does switch them back and fourth.

Back