• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptopt Memory question ...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orange400

I have an older 233Mhz Pentium MMX laptop with 64MB of RAM with a big EDO sticker on it. I want to upgrade to at least 128MB so I san run an X server on linux smoothly, so I'm pokin around on eBay for a deal, and I come across a few 256MB pieces of RAM for a good price. BUT ... here's the question. The RAM sticks are said to be SODIMM and SDRAM (are they tha same thing?). However, the shape, size, and the number of pins of the connector are the exact same thing. I'm not sure to buy the RAM or not ... do you think it'll work? I've never heard of RAM being different but having the same conenctor before ...

if it is sdram, it wont work in an edo slot. are you sure that they use the same connector? maybe they just use the same number of pins. also, 128mb of edo will be expensive, especially for a laptop. i have 128 mb of the stuff sitting around, and im thinking of ebaying it.

Yeah, the connector is 100% the same. It's kinda weird and I'm tempted to just buy some of the RAM that's up and see if it works. I noticed that there's two different slots that's popular among laptops: one with skinnier, more compact pins and a divider to one side, and the kind like mine with wider pins and a divider just off from the center. Anyways, maybe it says EDO on the RAM but it's labeling something else that just stands for EDO too. ... Doubt it.

I'm sorry to post ***** this one ... but I'm just gonna click with my fingers crossed on this one ... SOLD!

I just bought a 256MB PC133 stick for $30. Hope it works ... did I screw up? :p

Back