• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LCD display drivers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
I recently got a 16x2 LCD display which I have wired up for parallel port connection and tested on my main (Win2K) rig: all done and works perfectly.

My plan however, is to use it on my server once I mod the new cube case for it and that pc is running RedHat 8- so I am looking for recommendations for good lcd controller software for Linux- perhaps sending temps, server stats and/or manually entered text to the display.

I have found a few but I haven't messed with any yet- I figure that someone here can tell me which are better than others ;)

I've had a serial lcd for a few years now, I've only used lcd4linux on it the whole time I owned it. Works well enough.

There's also lcdproc, but lcd4linux works fine for me and I haven't bothered trying anything else myself.

:(
I can't get lcdproc to install the hd44780 driver and I can't get lcd4linux to run on the system.

I have sent in the question to the LCDproc mailing list and will mess with both more, but if anyone has suggestions I am all ears :D

Does lcdproc use drivers? I haven't used it, but with lcd4linux, you don't "install" drivers. It has the driver concept, but they aren't system-wide drivers for the OS. Lcd4linux just talks to the lcd over serial or parallel and has a few drivers that it uses internally so it knows how to talk to different lcds.

I would imagine lcdproc would be similar... so if you are fooling with kernel modules or something that would be why you can't get it to install the driver, I suspect.

Why wouldn't lcd4linux run?

Back