• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lian Li Galahad making bubbling sounds every few minutes.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
And are we sure it's air and not the pump/impeller going bad?

My first aio 3080 from EVGA had to be rmad because of what I thought was bubbles but was the pump making a grinding noise (did the whole dance bouncing the card and radiator around and didn't make a difference)

Could also just try propping up the front/back of the case by around 15-20deg to tilt it and let it run to see if it figures itself out as well.

I have the same AIO, and from my experience using them over the past 12 years, if they're making any noise, it won't be long before cooling diminishes, especially running 100%, so I would definitely RMA and replace it.

There is air in every closed loop AIO
There should never be any air as these units are liquid filled under a vacuum and sealed, and repositioning them probably won't make any difference being they're under extreme pressure and cycle the fluid rapidly through the loop. It is more likely that some of the liquid has jelled into pockets causing the noise at the pump, and more strain on the bearing, which is likely to fail and make more noise before long.

There should never be any air as these units are liquid filled under a vacuum and sealed, and repositioning them probably won't make any difference being they're under extreme pressure and cycle the fluid rapidly through the loop. It is more likely that some of the liquid has jelled into pockets causing the noise at the pump, and more strain on the bearing, which is likely to fail and make more noise before long.
Yikes. No.

There is air in every AIO I know of. There are videos online covering this (post #13, I posted it), in fact, and why positioning is important to prevent cavitation/air in the pump. It's also not under 'extreme pressure' either. There is pressure in closes loop (water temps increase, that is correct, but I can't imagine anyone categorizing it as anywhere close to 'extreme'

Last edited:
Nope. Sorry. There is air in every AIO I know of. There are videos online covering this, in fact, and why positioning is important to prevent cavitation/air in the pump.
Saying it doesn't make it true, so you should link the video or......
Know how these units are manufactured helps more that those trying to discourage the purchase and use of them, especially if you never owned one.

Saying it doesn't make it true, so you should link the video or......
Sorry, I edited my post above. The video is already in the thread dewd.................... post #13.

Know how these units are manufactured helps more that those trying to discourage the purchase and use of them, especially if you never owned one.
Que? What are you on about here? Nobody is trying to discourage the use and purchase of them.

FTR, I've owned or at least used (and perhaps reviewed!) more AIOs than you've seen on store shelves, lol. So, let's not go that route. :)

oh well, enough said, but I do take youtube hacks with a grain of salt, and not as the authority compared to manufacturers.
Does Lian Li do this? Can you provide a link (...I did...)? Maybe there are and perhaps saying 'all' instead of 'vast majority' was being hyperbolic... :shrug: :coffee:. But yeah, link me please! I don't mind learning. :)

...you still owe me a game (games) that take "an hour" to load or switch between accounts too...........you have a lot of nerve calling people out yet not supporting your own assertions, lol.

As far as the YouTube hacks. I wouldn't call GN a hack... Linus.......sure! But yeah, dude, every single AIO I've owned, from the common Asetek (various gens) internals to others, all had air in them. Some even put capillary tubes in to relieve the slight increase in pressure when the temperature of the coolant rises.

EDIT: Here...from the horse's mouth...

Last edited:
Does Lian Li do this? Can you provide a link (...I did...)? Maybe there are and perhaps saying 'all' instead of 'vast majority' was being hyperbolic... :shrug: :coffee:. But yeah, link me please! I don't mind learning. :)

...you still owe me a game (games) that take "an hour" to load or switch between accounts too...........you have a lot of nerve calling people out yet not supporting your own assertions, lol.

As far as the YouTube hacks. I wouldn't call GN a hack... Linus.......sure! But yeah, dude, every single AIO I've owned, from the common Asetek (various gens) internals to others, all had air in them. Some even put capillary tubes in to relieve the slight increase in pressure when the temperature of the coolant rises.
I'll try to find a link, but I've done a lot of research into these AIO units over the past 12 years, and just trying to offer my 2c worth here and help. I'm NOT the absolute authority on computer hardware, past, present, or future.
I will say I've never seen ANY sign of leakage from these AIOs, but I did cut into an old one and it was like cutting a line on an air conditioning unit where the pressure was "extreme" and spewed coolant everywhere. Maybe it was just that particular AIO, or the original Intel version that invented the technology when I built my x79 back in 2012

I'll try to find a link, but I've done a lot of research into these AIO units over the past 12 years, and just trying to offer my 2c worth here and help.
Same. In this thread, we've learned a MFG (Asetek) said it's 'normal' for air to be in there. So at least with any Asetek made pump (a lot, lol!), we know it's normal.

Here's another one from someone you'll likely brush aside (who was referring to a GN video)

RE: The pressure thing, maybe it was the circumstances. I haven't seen one under 'extreme' pressure. Any that I've cut open that weren't hot trickled/flowed out under the weight of itself. No squirting involved, lol.

I'll wait for a link...history says not to hold my breath, however. :(

I won't tell you where right now, but I saw some AIO installation guides saying otherwise than GN or some other yt/websites. It's a bit confusing, but not every AIO is designed the same way.
Every AIO has some air inside because it's required in case of the pressure at high temps. Every liquid cooler is designed for up to 60°C coolant temp. Above that are weird things happening. If AIO isn't properly sealed, then the liquid vaporizes (you can see it) and the noise is getting worse in time.
Some AIOs can't be installed vertically with an inlet/outlet on top or bottom. Like in the videos in the last posts, Asetek + AMD = it's always installed on the side.

I have Corsair (not Asetek) - recommended in/out on the side, and ASUS (Asetek) - recommended in/out on the bottom. Both on Intel and both work fine.

Regarding the radiator, in/out has to be up, unless you install it on the top of the case. It's because most AIO pumps are weak and can't push enough liquid and/or air. Air stuck, liquid cumulates, and doesn't circulate well enough. The radiator should be equally hot, while sometimes it's not (depends also on the radiator design).

Install the PC horizontally, and the problem is solved :)

Same. In this thread, we've learned a MFG (Asetek) said it's 'normal' for air to be in there. So at least with any Asetek made pump (a lot, lol!), we know it's normal.
Interesting video there, but I've never heard ANY noise after shaking an AIO out of the box as I would likely return it, as with any other hardware component, since that can't be a good sign.:unsure:
I can see where you got the idea of mounting the rad on the top though, which is fine if ideal with your case and type of AIO you're using, as we discussed before.

lulz, yeah, most components SHOULDN'T rattle/whoosh when shaken, and most users would return it if they did, no doubt! An AIO, however, I personally EXPECT to hear water moving when tilting the rad around. So long as they are mounted properly, the little air inside shouldn't get caught up and make noise.

Last edited:
It's normal that any liquid cooling makes a bubbling noise for a couple of seconds after starting a PC. However, with these lower speed/power pumps and closed cases, you won't hear it much. Usually, the bubbles stay in the corner of the radiator during longer work. If you run the pump at full speed (more likely with a custom water loop), then air can move to the pump/reservoir area. AIO pumps are usually weak and, at full speed, do not cause problems (unless a manufacturer fails the design).

Asetek is at least 50% of the market. Most leading brands use their design and put covers, LCD displays, or other stuff on it. I have 3 or 4 AIOs based on various generations of Asetek. All have more or less air inside. The same story is with other brands like Corsair, Deepcool, or Enermax. Some brands let you fill the coolant, but usually, there is a warranty sticker. If the cooler underperforms, then you can RMA it. If it performs well, then I don't care what is inside. They can put sand or jelly beans, and it wouldn't make a difference. If you don't trust any brand, then don't buy it. However, with AIOs, there's a high chance that another brand will have the same stuff under the stickers/covers. Asetek-based AIOs are like a full set with a radiator. Not only a pump+coldplate. Brands like Corsair had 50/50 good and bad AIOs. Deepcool was very quiet and well-performing in my tests.

If you want to fill it on your own, then brands like Alphacool, Bykski, or EK have sets with CPU block/pump/reservoir combo, and you can buy any radiator+tubes and fill it yourself. It will take some time until it will be full.
Here is one interesting option of a "do it yourself AIO" - https://shop.alphacool.com/en/shop/...alphacool-eisbaer-aurora-lt-solo-black?c=1458

Back