• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Logitech Z-680 and SB Audigy 2 -- what cables to use for digital output?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Flakk

I just got a Logitech Z-680 and want to use it to its full potential on my Sound Blaster Audigy 2 card (plain, not ZS).

There's a digital coax input plug on my Z-680's control pod, and a digital output 1/8th inch audio jack on my my Audigy 2.

Can someone show me a link for the type of cable I need. And possibly where I can get one for the best price. Thanks

Last edited:
Pretty sure you're (and all of us) hosed. I've searched before and have never found such a cable... because you'd need an adapter. The "digital" output jack on the Audigy is a proprietary Creative job... go figure. It will supposedly work only with Creative brand digital speakers.

Perhaps someone else on the forums can help; maybe there is such an adapter... I've just never seen or heard of it.

thank you for your thoughtful answers (on this and the other thread)... yes i am hoping there is such a cable, altho from what you said, it sounds like it wont make much of a difference as far as hiss is concerned, and that is more of an issue to me than "digital" output if its hissing the whole time.

on the audigy 2 box it shows a cable "mono minijack to RCA Cable 3.5mm" which looks like it would work

just found this link..
http://alive.singnet.com.sg/tech/digital-io.htm
second section entitled "Get Coaxial Output from the Yellow Digital Minijack Output"

Last edited:
So, this is the cable? I would like to know as well...I have the 680's & a Audigy 2 but no digital sound.

yes i believe that is it.. i would like someone else to confirm that just to make sure. and also where to get one.... i cannot find one for the life of me. if i could get one for $5 like it says that would be great.. somehow i doubt that :)

i just searched on these forums, and what do you know, found some more info:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=255189&highlight=coax+cable+digital
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=237820&highlight=coax+cable+digital

looks like these guys are already on it, but no real good finds yet. only something that costs near $20

i found this but im not 100% sure it would work. my brother says it would-- i would just use one of the outputs:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...IZmP-KSKiEMAlY@FnLn/befree_site_id=0039206422
it only costs $4.99 for a 6 ft cable, and with shipping it comes to $10.94 (to my zip code) which aint too bad.. perhaps a last resort.

Last edited:
Well, just give it a try! Get a jack->phono cable and hook it up! Unless there is some seriusly bad design out there, you won't hurt anything. I've hacked together a lot of audio stuff, and if you get it wrong, it just doesn't give any sound. I've never burnt any stuff by connecting things wrong.

..and my z680 are fed with optical signals..

I believe this cable is called a RCA cable. You can purchased this at bestbuy. forgot How much I paid for this cable. Just look in the audio video section where the audio cables are located it should be there.

Unless creative is using some funky POS, the standard for coaxial digital out is a 3.5mm mono to RCA. Go to radioshack and get it for like 5 bucks.

Thats what I used to connect my SBLive to a sony reciever. Here is a link to what you probably want.

http://www.radioshack.ca/estore/Pro...tegory=Cable+&+Accessories&catalog=RadioShack

Couldn't find the equivalant in the Yankee ratshack cause they don't use the metric system very well(and their search engine sucks).

edit - I think this is the cable you want. You definitely don't want the stereo one.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.a..._name=CTLG_007_002_003_008&product_id=42-2444

end edit

Last edited:
About the stereo one, that one is a lot easier to find. But I'm guessing that only one of the phono plugs carry the digital signal, so a little (very little) testing is in order to get it right. ;)

I just typed in my zip code and it looks like its available at my local Radio-shaft. for $3.99 I'm gonna give it a try. I have been using my Z-680's on analog ever since I got them. Do you think I will be able to tell a difference in sound quality?

yeah i was wondering the same. quality actually is fine, but if it reduces some hiss i will be very happy. dont think it will but would be nice..

that 3.99 is worth it to me just for the fact that i only have to plug in 1 cable to my soundcard, instead of 3.. which i always am confused as to which of the 8 spots they go in.

ok i bought them at my local radio shack for 3.99

and let me tell you it was the best 3.99 i spent for many reasons.. including those i mentioned earlier and a nice surprise bonus: i can use all these effects like "stereo x2" mode and it makes my music sound so much louder and better than regular analog stereo mode :D

happy i am

it made me like these speakers for the first time :)

just a word of advice to anyone still using those analog cables. go spend $4 more and be much happier with your $250-300 system :)

In your Audigy driver selcetion...did you select "digital only?" Thanks for the info. I haven't bought mine yet but I most definately wil now.:D

*Edit* I also noticed a marked improvement in sound quality yesterday, when I updated my Audigy 2 drivers on the Creative site.

hold it, i started one of these threads, and finally got an email back from them, you might like this

Dear Customer,

Actually you will get better speaker preformence from the analog jack
not the Digital.

For faster service please reply with previous correspondences when
replying to this email.

Best Regards

Technical Support
Creative Labs Americas

then i emailed them why this is true

Dear Customer,

The reason that I said you would get better preformence with the
speakers is that if you goto digital you will only get your front left
and right speakers unless you watch DVD movie or listed to an AC3 file.
With the analog you will get all the speakers all the time.

For faster service please reply with previous correspondences when
replying to this email.

Best Regards

Technical Support
Creative Labs Americas

This is what they really mean:

Dear customer,

The reason why you will get better performance out of the Analog jacks instead of the Digital is for the following reasons.

1) We're Creative and we are too buisy counting our money right now to be bothered with trivial little matters such as this.

2) Our marketing division made us put a cheap digital chip on the Audigy cards figuring that nobody would figure out how to use. Thats why we didnt' include the cable that you need.

3) We cannot take time from our buisy schedual to actually help resolve customer complaints...after all it takes a lot of people to count our money.

4) Any people we have left are all working on the Creative driver problems that we have been hearing about. and those people were taken off the janatorial crew. We have confidence in them and thier technical skills because they are the only ones who know how to unplug a toilet.

Dude! These are the real answers!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

krag said:
In your Audigy driver selcetion...did you select "digital only?" Thanks for the info. I haven't bought mine yet but I most definately wil now.:D

*Edit* I also noticed a marked improvement in sound quality yesterday, when I updated my Audigy 2 drivers on the Creative site.
No, i don't select digital only. That way it will do both digital output and analog (i plug headphones into one of those jacks so I can always have them in). If you check "digital only" it will just turn off the analog ones. No reason to do that as far as i can see.

As for Audigy 2 drivers.. i would update it if i COULD. i had soo much trouble getting my audigy 2 to work in windows. I had to use some french drivers for the setup to be able to detect my card. Otherwise i'd always get the error "no sound blaster product detected" or somthing like that. So i dont have any of the extra programs installed with my audigy2 just the basic drivers to play audio :\

If you happen to know of this error and know how to get around this and use the current drivers with all the extra goodies... this problem is something lots of people have had, not just me.. i even rma'd my card thinking it was to blame :eek:

I purchased some Z-680's and a coax cable a few days ago, I haven’t had a lot of time to test but have some things I'd like to get some feedback on.

When you are using the coax input mode do you get a crack sound when it switches from Stereo (or the effect you were using) to Digital when you start playing a DVD?

And is it safe to max out the volume levels on the soundcard (Audigy2) and control the volume from the control pod alone?

Comparing the coax to the analog in I haven’t noticed any real advantages yet, although I do see some disadvantages like the crack when it changes to Digital and the fact you can't have other sound going while playing a DVD.

You should have had access to the Stereo x2 effect when using analog as well and if you have a Creative card with CMMS it will upmix when playing a stereo source anyway.

I also haven’t noticed any amount of hiss reduction using the coax and even the hiss in analog mode is only audible if I put my ear an inch or so away from the speakers.

Do note I haven’t had much time to test these yet though.

Thanks.

Flakk said:
ok i bought them at my local radio shack for 3.99

and let me tell you it was the best 3.99 i spent for many reasons.. including those i mentioned earlier and a nice surprise bonus: i can use all these effects like "stereo x2" mode and it makes my music sound so much louder and better than regular analog stereo mode :D

happy i am

it made me like these speakers for the first time :)

just a word of advice to anyone still using those analog cables. go spend $4 more and be much happier with your $250-300 system :)

yes you can max out the sound card and its safe, but sometimes at max there is slight distortion so i keep it around 75-80% and then control through the pod. yes i get the crack sound also.

Back