• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Long POST?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NV

I recently cleaned out my computer of dust and remounted my heatsink and other such little maintenance-y details. Actually I lied that's really all I can think of that I did. So no change in hardware or anything. Now it seems like my computer is taking a very long time to POST. Should I be worried? Is there an explanation? Is it all in my head? :screwy:

Thanks guys!

How long is "long"?

Perhaps the BIOS reset after you pulled power and now it's no longer doing a "quick boot".

I have an EVGA x58 SLI LE, i7 920 OCed to 3.8, 6GB OCZ Gold RAM, and a GTX 260 powered by a Corsair HX 750.

POST takes about 21 seconds, which seems a little long to me, but I think I've had a couple that were significantly longer than that. Yesterday I booted at one point and the board probably toggled between F3 and F6 for a good 20 seconds before moving on to eventually booting.

I actually couldn't find the "quick boot" option in my BIOS, but I don't think the BIOS were reset because I still have my overclock. Also, wouldn't a quick boot effect what happens after the POST?

I had an issue close to that when I was first putting my system together and had to remove everything to check my mounts on the mobo etc.. anyways, when I was getting oddly longer posts I removed the cmos battery and did a clear on the bios and reset to stock.. then started over with the oc and so far I haven't had that issue come up again

im using evga x58 mini (matx)

Back